Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dongle

Newbie Member

Dongle

Hi all,

Just wondering with regards to the dongle. If it gets damaged or lost do I get a replacement or do I have to buy one ?
    Only wondering because of the speed I manage to lose things.

Thanks

Matt

Don't lose it. If it's broken you can send back the pieces and get a new one for free ( or maybe just really cheap). If you lose it however, you have to pay a fee for a new one to prevent license fraud.
    Friends come and go, but enemies accumulate.

I really wish they would look to a different paradigm for licensing. I've complained about this before, I believe, but I work both at my workstation and my laptop on the road a lot, and I hate having the dongle sticking out of my laptop. Considering it represents several hundred dollars worth of software (at least it represents it working) I don't really like having it sticking out like that. Fear of breaking it off or loosing it keeps me from tweaking an animation on the plane or at the coffee shop.
    Even if they would go to something like the low-profile bluetooth adaptors I've seen that don't stick out would be an improvement. I would much rather something like Adobe's system rather than the dongle. All the dongle is really doing is annoying those of us who paid for it, it dosen't keep people from pirating it.

Casey

No licensing stops piracy. However, the dongle does give you the flexibility to install LW on as many computers as you wish. Correct me if I'm wrong but it's not very easy to get Adobe's licensing scheme to work across multiple computers is it?

actually it's very easy to use Adobe on multiple computers. Their licensing allows you to install their software on a primary and secondary computer (i.e. a workstation and laptop) as long as they are not used at the same time. Just common sense, ONE person using it, you cannot install it on two workstartions for TWO people to use at the same time. (I beleieve when you start Photoshop, for example, it checks to see if that serial is in use elsewere on the network and will not start up if it finds it, thought I've never tested that to be sure) That's more than enough, for most honest use (now I'm sure someone will come in saying they use four diferent computers but come on, that's your problem) I'm all for security, but like I said, this is really just inconciencing the honest people.

Casey

Quote Originally Posted by Lottmedia
    it checks to see if that serial is in use elsewere on the network
    That's scary. The more Adobe dives into my network the more worried I get. Thanks for the clarification though.

However, I don't think I'm out of the ordinary to use a program on my work workstation, home workstation, and laptop. If a dongle lets me do that and a software license doesn't, that's a win for the dongle in my opinion.

No, no, I absolutely hate Adobe's licensing. I like Newtek's licensing great. I just attach a ridiculously long USB adapter cable to the dongle. Helps me not lose it and keeps the dongle from breakage.

Once, before I had my USB adapter thing, I about had a heart attack when I thought I had left the thing in Baltimore. I couldn't find the thing for a week or so.
    visual effect/mograph artist
    Cinema 4D | Lightwave v9.6 | modo 401 | Maestro 2 | Kray 1.7
    MacBook Pro C2D 3 GB

The only time I use mine outside of home or the office is in my laptop, and I usually have it plugged next to the receiver for my mouse so I don't have to be any more careful than normal.

I've always thought that laptop manufacturers should put a couple "hidden" USB ports in the bottom of a laptop. What I mean is that they should have a recessed part in the bottom of laptops with a side facing USB port (or 2) so that you could plug in things like dongles or USB storage and have them flush with the bottom of the laptop.

Does that make sense? If not, I'll do a quick mockup later tonight of what I mean, if it's necessary.
    -Joshua Jorgensen

Totally know what you mean and I totally thought the same thing. You should still make a mockup though and send it to laptop manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by iconoclasty
    Totally know what you mean and I totally thought the same thing. You should still make a mockup though and send it to laptop manufacturers.
    Or you could just as easily.
    -Joshua Jorgensen

What? Do you think I have some type of advanced software that would allow me to create multidimensional representations of fictitious products? I guess I could fire up MSPaint and give it a shot.

Newbie Member
    called newtek yesterday. a replacment will be $200.00 if lost "fyi"

Quote Originally Posted by iconoclasty
    What? Do you think I have some type of advanced software that would allow me to create multidimensional representations of fictitious products? I guess I could fire up MSPaint and give it a shot.
    Wait, you have MS Paint? I was just going to try to very carefully smear some mustard on the wall and hope my point would come across.

OK, I'm done derailing this thread. gthumbus, thanks for checking that price.
    -Joshua Jorgensen

Dave W.
    My 5 year old took mine and we could not find it. It was $200 plus shipping for me. Ouch!!!!!!
    modelling is a way of life

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast