Thread: Backup dongle

Newbie Member

Backup dongle

Can I order a backup dongle? I'm afraid I might lose it somehow. I'm paranoid all right.

You can replace lost/stolen/broke dongles but it costs a fair bit (i know cos one of our 36 dongles has gone missing while the pc was out for repair).

Problem is if u have 2 dongles you can effectivly run lightwave on 2 machines at the same time with a single license so i doubt they would let you get one as a "backup".
    uh wha?

Correct. A backup would defeat the purpose of the dongle. I believe broken dongles are replaced for free.
    Friends come and go, but enemies accumulate.

Dongles. Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.

One could also switch to Autodesk products. They have wonderful licensing / copy protection schemes.

Heffalump
    The real problem here is dongle-locked plugins. You won't get a dongle with the same ID and with the number of vendors who have disappeared, that's going to cause pain. Many years ago it seemed that the same ID dongle was an option, for a fairly high price, but now I'm not so sure....
    Inactive.

There is a service out there that will clone your dongle keep the info on file. In the event that you should lose or break it they will make you another. It isn't cheap though.

Another solution although I can't say Newtek approves of it or even if it has been tested thoroughly, is to run a program that makes a "dongle dump" then runs an emulator with the dongle information. You then keep the original dongle locked up somewhere.