Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Delete EDGES (not possible?)

Delete EDGES (not possible?)

Hi,

People, yesterday I noticed something that is somewhat weird to my modeling logic. If I select an edge (from any poly mesh) and try to delete it, it's not possible??? Is this common behavior? Why?

What did you expect would happen to a polygon if you could delete an edge?

What I think serge was trying to get at, is a polygon cannot exist without the edges around it, so deleting an edge on a single polygon would destroy the entire polygon (if the delete operation was possible).

Deleting an edge between 2 polygons in theory could just merge the 2 polygons into 1, in Lightwave this can be done by selecting the 2 polygons and hitting shift + Z so I don't think working this into an edge delete would be too hard.
    uh wha?

actaully ona single poly is possible only not possible on a 2 point poly - a quad would become a 2 point poly and a 3 point poly become a single point poly - anything above you still have a completely valid poly

but yeah when delteing an edge between 2 polys it should merge the polys would be a much more versatile system than the merge polys as you could do multple merges at once with control of where the merge happens even with polys sitting next to each other

was dispaointed when we finally got edges and couldn't do that - or a proper edge bevel for that matter

as they stand at the moment edges in lw are a purely cosmetic thing =/ all the operations with them except perhaps extending work exactly teh same as the point selecting the same section

I use the Edgepack modeler tools when working with edges in LW, nice set to add to LW imho. (free)

http://www.symmetrix.com.au/index.php?page=plugins.php
    :lwicon:

Quote Originally Posted by serge
    What did you expect would happen to a polygon if you could delete an edge?
    Hi, already replyed above.
    To a quad poly it could turn it in a tri-poly.
    To a more complex mesh it should merge the affected poly's.

ftown:
    Thank you very much... I'll try that pack

Quote Originally Posted by ben martin
    To a quad poly it could turn it in a tri-poly.
    Well to get a tri you'd wanna select 2 edges, otherwise it is a 50/50 chance it will make the poly wrong. What you want is a remove point tool, i.e. opposite of add point, so it would remove either a point from all polys or from only the selected polys.
    fauxWaver \foʊ-wāv-er\, n. one who likes LightWave, but shuns car-anologies.

Tbh i dont even use edge mode in lightwave because how it stands now you can do everything by selecting 2 points. Seems to me like edge mode in lw is more like a proxy for selecting 2 points.
    uh wha?

Quote Originally Posted by SpankDaddy
    Tbh i dont even use edge mode in lightwave because how it stands now you can do everything by selecting 2 points. Seems to me like edge mode in lw is more like a proxy for selecting 2 points.
    Yup, you got a point... err.. two points!

You could always try to 'dissolve' the edge. OR 'merge' the two polys that share that same edge...

you can delete edges in Maya and it just connects that poly to the adjacent one. there is no reason why it should not be the same in LW.
    Jim Hibbert

Portfolio

CPU: Duel Intel Xeon. E5645 2.4ghz, (12 Cores)
    Ram: 24gb
    Windows Win7 64bit
    Display Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (2gb RAM)

How Old? Really? Aww Heck colkai's Avatar
    Is it my faulty memory, but didn't some plugin, somewhere, have a 'dissolve edges' function which did what you'd expect a 'delete edges' to do?
    Too old to die young.

Quote Originally Posted by colkai
    Is it my faulty memory, but didn't some plugin, somewhere, have a 'dissolve edges' function which did what you'd expect a 'delete edges' to do?
    Absolutely right!!!
    COSTRUCT -> REDUCE -> DISSOLVE Yuhu!

Thank you!

but again, this is not a good thing. 'delete' should be 'operator overloaded' instead of having discrete tools for discrete entities. we shouldn't have to have a separate bevel tool for edges and polys and verts.

as for the first two responses after the original post, they're very lw-centric.

as has been noted, if you delete an edge, you would (in non lw and just intuitive terms) get a poly without that edge! so if you have a quad with a diagonal edge turning them into two triangles, deleting that middle edge should give you a quad.

even in the extreme example of deleting an edge off a quad (one of the outside edges), there would still be a logical result of an edge deletion - a 2 point polyline.

(but in lw's defense, it comes from a tradition of modeling where the tools are designed so as to almost enforce regular quad geometry - unlike other apps which have tools that have no scruples of letting you create some really nasty geometry... but... of course... this at the expense of flexibility but a good restriction for newbs)

anyhoo....

ugh.... sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much consolidation that needs to happen in modeler before it can be considered beautiful again......

ehhhhhh.......

jin

How Old? Really? Aww Heck colkai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ben martin
    Absolutely right!!!
    COSTRUCT -> REDUCE -> DISSOLVE Yuhu!

Thank you!
    You're welcome.
    Glad to know I wasn't dreaming hehe...
    Too old to die young.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast