Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what a freaking mess

what a freaking mess

the UB version of 9.3.1 is yet another disaster.
    it's about as stable as drunk on stilts.

I finally invest in a decent machine
    to get the most out of the app and now we're back to the good old days of LW crashing for no reason.

Could this be a leopard issue? I already disabled the hub because the apps would crash on launch, but I can get about 10 minutes worth of work before it just quits for no good reason.

self flagellating LW monk
    ?
    I have LW issues, but I don't have THOSE LW issues...
    you seem to have a new system, brand new LW install?
    default everything? (configs, menu layout, etc...)? except of course, drop kicking the hub?

running any weird add ons (LW plugins, OS add ons)?

are you using any quicktime movies in your animations?
    does it quit while rendering mostly?
    during saves?

crash on launch makes me think its a resource thing. LW isn't getting the resources it Thinks its getting... memory, texture memory on the card, access to hardware... stuff like that. you said you had the UB, but LW running under Rosetta might crash on start more readily.
    dumping the hub made it more stable? perhaps the hub had a bad config file? maybe your install went awry. (i'm guessing you've already done a re-install) Chilton says that most of the problems associated to bad configs aren't config files, but you know us End users... we're superstitious. especially when theres no logical explanation for a crash. I say delete your configs!
    and if that don't do it, delete your configs, and the app and re-install (don't forget to rename the hub!)

heh... even if someone CAN pinpoint and fix your issue... its still gonna crash. I've recently bumped into the ancient, wise and venerable Graph editor/OpenGL crash bug. Some things get better with age... some things piss you off through the years.

I did a delete on the configs. Trashed the prefs and all the usual fixes.
    This is a brand new system. It's days old. I've got a pretty hefty video card.

It's basically acting like 8.5 did. just real unstable. It's fast as all hell, but I'll be trucking along in modeler, go to do something as simple as click on bandsaw pro and BAM!... Modeler unexpectedly crashes. It's not just with bandsaw, it can happen when I accept a bevel, or tab out of a smooth shift. It's just random.

This is nothing new to me, but after the rock solid stability of the 9,3,1 PPC version, I have gotten spoiled by the only stable version of Lightwave I've used since 5.5. I forgot what it was like to follow everything up with a command>save.

argh.

Heffalump
    UB LW is, well, a little rough around the edges. It's pretty much the first release of LW on this platform (as distinct to the old PowerPC version), so some headaches are expected.

That said, copying and pasting the crash output from OS X (via the Report button) and sending it in an email, with a complete description of what you did (and content if relevant), to [email protected] would be great! The developers then stand a chance of fixing it for the next update.

It may also be worth diddling with the OpenGL display settings under the display options panel (Modeler and Layout). I've had reasonable success with multitexture, VBO. GLSL is not really usable (and will actually cause major pain for PowerPC LW on an intel Mac).
    Inactive.

yes, its a mess.

I opted to run LW on the PCs ONLY.. its a shame but I get a TON of crashes on the macs, and I did try everything
    Matt :

I wonder how much of that is Leopard? I hardly ever crash in LW. Occasionally if I'm doing a weird edge dissolve, but that's about it. I do have the hub off as well.

i found 10.5 as stable as 10.4... as far as That goes.
    I will say that I stopped using bandsaw pro completely. That thing is a pile of crap, hasn't worked properly since version 9 (or earlier). Makes you want to cry too, modeler FINALLY gets a loop selection tool thats halfway decent and the Bandsaw tool becomes a Hand grenade.

Smooth shift is Slightly less crash prone, But I've gotten in the habit of not using That as well.

its a shame that my experience with Lightwave is colored by automatic, almost pre-conscious choices to avoid bugs that are generations old. the list of stuff on the box doesn't line up with the reality.

Ugh, all these horror stories about Lightwave on the new Mac Pro are starting to freak me out a bit.

What's the worst case scenario here? Assuming LW 9.3.1 is functionally unusable on a Leopard-equipped Mac Pro, how hard would it be to get LW working under Windows on such a machine? Would there be a significant performance hit? I've never used Windows---how hard is it to install Windows on a Mac? Please advise.

Leopard may be a step backward for the Mac, I mean really, Tiger was probably the best Mac OS ever by a long shot, so why change it?

Quote Originally Posted by Glendalough
    Leopard may be a step backward for the Mac, I mean really, Tiger was probably the best Mac OS ever by a long shot, so why change it?
    Well, it's here now and we're going to have to deal with it. Like I said above, I'd like to see some feedback on how to run 9.3.1 with maximum stability on the a new Mac Pro.

Haven't used it that much and only got a MacPro a month ago, but haven't had any real trouble. Only the big handles and text overrun. Some pause after a f9 render but no hold up on image sequences.

Maybe one should use the PPC version for modeling, and just the UB for Layout and rendering.

Maybe one should use the PPC version for modeling, and just the UB for Layout and rendering.
    Is it possible to run the PPC version on a Mac Pro? If so, how much slower is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Giacomo99
    Is it possible to run the PPC version on a Mac Pro? If so, how much slower is it?
    The PPC version runs fine, I find it at least 4 times faster than my old single processor G5, more like 5 time faster, so unless you are changing from a G5 quad, you should see some speed increase I would think (the UB is 3 to 4 times faster on the same MacPro -i.e. faster than the PPC version on same machine).

^yes, you can. I think the biggest speed hit would be during rendering. And then it would probably be as fast as a fast G5.

lol - beat me to it glendalough

oh, I don't agree with this statement at all. Leopard is a very powerful upgrade for os x, it just doesn't have a lot of end-user surprises. Outside of Lightwave's problems on the mac (almost all of which predate leopard) the mac itself has only moved forward. ever use any of the other 3d apps? I'm not saying They are perfect, but you notice Major differences, which indicate that a 3d app on the mac CAN be more stable and a lot faster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast