Thread: Perspective

Newbie Member

Perspective

From one who started in the TV "film era" and who now finds myself immersed in the MIRACLE of desktop NLE I just want to ask, "Why all the whining"?

Try doing a film shoot/edit on a 6 hour deadline. Thank God those days are gone.

What about UMatic 3/4" video, the 25 pound recorder and A-roll/B-roll editing that did not have single-frame accuracy.

Or that crappy Professional Beta audio.

I have now used Speed Edit for two projects, both shot using a Panasonic HVX200 in 1080p and edited into various resolutions and formats.

What a great leap forward Newtek made, just think it is not DV or HD, or an mpeg clip from some cheap camcorder. Resolution be damned and who cares about the aspect ratio? A clip is a clip, no transcoding, go right to editing.

I personally have had only two crashes in hundreds of hours of editing, the registration system does not bother me but am I completely satisfied? No way.

Newtek pleeeeeeeease interpolated slomoooooo. Sorry even the crusty veterans whine at times.
    Cincinnati, Ohio

To not polute another thread, I'll copy here.

Steve, are you my double? If ya go to NAB, we gotta share a drink. Not the same one of course.

Technology can get overwhelming if you don't do your homework, But... I LOVE this stuff and how it's helped the process of production! Remember dubbing B-Rolls of all your footage just to get a simple dissolve?
    Glad you're with us.
    Ted R. Ruiz Sr.
    Ad-Venture Video Productions
    Elite NewTek Dealer
    www.editbay.tv
    TriCasters, Most All Models
    Cameras-Mostly HVX 200's

Just Tryin' To Help...
    Quote Originally Posted by ted
    Remember dubbing B-Rolls of all your footage just to get a simple dissolve?
    Yeah, I remember those Ted, 'specially trying to manually pre-roll A/B sync on a couple 3/4" UMatic decks before things like AmiLink - sometimes better known as "The two-finger Punch on the Wing with a Prayer." ~~~
    SB Enterprises, Quincy, Illinois ~ in the backwoods of the US of A

CreatvGnius

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bates
    Yeah, I remember those Ted, 'specially trying to manually pre-roll A/B sync on a couple 3/4" UMatic decks before things like AmiLink - sometimes better known as "The two-finger Punch on the Wing with a Prayer." ~~~
    And what of the ill-advised, yet occasional and utterly discrete (read: secret use of) -- dare I speak it? -- eh...

OK here goes... a literal razor edit on black & white EIAJ standard, reel-to-reel video, way back in high school?
    -PeterG
    Last edited by CreatvGnius; 02-15-2008 at 09:14 AM. Reason: emoticon

Oh and while we're strolling down memory lane . . .

How 'bout that color frame shift that would show up right in the middle of your dissolve just when you thought the edit was finished. Anybody remember Ampex's ACE editor? Yes it was a computer and yes it was an 'editor' but fast?... only if it worked right. Sometimes we just threw up our hands, had the tape op build a B-roll and switch it hot just to get a spot out the door.

How 'bout crossing your fingers doing a timeline ripple hoping your whole EDL doesn't get blown. Thank god those days are over.

But I disagree that the professionals on this list are whinners. They are only trying to help Newtek make a great product better. Good slo mo is a key item but hey... we're only at version 1.51. I expect great things from a company that has made it affordable to stay competitive.

NAB's just around the corner . . . .

Yup, we were a beta site for Ampex's Ace "Computerized Editor". Color Frame was a 50-50 crap shoot. And we accepted that, along with countless crashes and bugs!

I agree that many people offer input to validate a need for improvement. But I think Steve's statement was more about all people who don't know how good we do have it, or ever reflect on the upsides.
    I guess I should let him explain though.
    Ted R. Ruiz Sr.
    Ad-Venture Video Productions
    Elite NewTek Dealer
    www.editbay.tv
    TriCasters, Most All Models
    Cameras-Mostly HVX 200's

Product and Vertical Market Manager - Digital Broadcast
    I think I have a unique one.

As a young buck I got introduced to Video my sophmore year in highschool with an Amgia 4000 with a Video Toaster. We had 2 S-VHS decks and one 3/4 deck. Wow that was lots of fun and lots of luck when it all worked. I then helped the school develop a grant and a plan to guy new gear which at the time was VTNT the latest and greatest . A few twists and bend later here I am at NewTek, living the dream. Thanks to all, that helped and offered advice. I can say the SpeedEDIT is changing minds of many great editors accross these lands.
    Zane Condren
    Product and Vertical Market Manager - Digital Broadcast
    NewTek Inc.
    new.tk/call

I go back to the days when we edited 2" quad tape with a special liquid, microscope and razor blade.