View Poll Results: Should Newtek integrate the Layout and Modeler in the same workspace?

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it should!

104 74.29%
  • No, it's good like it is!

36 25.71%
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Integration Pool

Integration Pool

Hi Wavers,

This is not new but I would like to ask how many of you agree that Newtek should review the Layout/Modeler integration excluding the hub.

Meaning:
    To satisfy both worlds (the pro-integration and the against-integration) why not integrate the Modeler and Layout in the same workspace like XSi and Maya?

See the GIF sequence example to understand what I mean, then just use the pool to better understand how many users agree or not with the integration.

Many thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01_Integration.gif 
Views:	415 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	54206  
    Last edited by ben martin; 01-28-2008 at 07:35 AM.

That's really the only way I've considered it being integrated...just two modes within the same program. Anything else would be another mess...
    visual effect/mograph artist
    Cinema 4D | Lightwave v9.6 | modo 401 | Maestro 2 | Kray 1.7
    MacBook Pro C2D 3 GB

I've traditionally been in the keep it separate crowd but this seems like a good idea.
    Between the eyes and ears there lie the sounds of color and the light of a sigh.

I dont think it should be modeler and layout. I think it should be model and animate and the title bar should just say Lightwave.

93.75% are in favor of integration. Dat's screwin' da pooch right der.
    MacBook Pro C2D 3 GB

The speed of that gif is making my head hurt.....you should have made it slower

So, how would you handle working on multiple modeler projects while having layout render a scene at the same time.

Kuzey

Heffalump
    Quote Originally Posted by inigo07
    That's really the only way I've considered it being integrated...just two modes within the same program. Anything else would be another mess...
    Really? One of the many strengths of integration would be animated modelling. This approach won't provide that any more than the current system.
    Inactive.

If you guys can only figure out two different modes I think you are too indoctrinated and not dreaming big enough. Model, animate, texture, ArchViz, composit...Why limit yourself to only two mutually exclusive interfaces when you could have several different ones arranged by different logic. Whether thy overlap or not is beside the point if it streamlines your current task.

I'd like them integrated, but not in the limited fashion the gif portrays. Ultimately it should be possible to call any function, whether it originated from modeler or layout, at any time (given it makes sense in the current context). The interface should not put shackles on what the core and user can and cannot do. We had that, we don't like it, and this is very likely why updating the core is taking so frigging long (ie the core and interface are tied to closely; bad design and coding practices of the old dev team).

To avoid a mess, all we need is an improved interface handler that comes with some preset workspaces, just like we have hotkey and menu presets today, and also allows for personal customized presets. Hopefully this customization will go beyond just the hotkey and menu layouts. That should make even the fanatic nostalgic happy as long as NT designs a preset that mimic the the old interfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    animated modelling
    Of course. One program with two sectors, one, the "Modeler", in which you could open up multiple models, and another, the "Layout", in which everything was animatable and live-updating and whatnot.
    MacBook Pro C2D 3 GB

''one app to rule them all''
    ...one to bind them...
    a solitary, all powerful application that can bring the true power...and with power comes great responsibility to create a better world!

...err... lightwave!
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

I really want to have viewports though that keep showing the object in object space, no matter what I do with it in Layout. This is one of the really nice things about LW. No matter what I do to the object in Layout, I can always go back to the original object make changes and update the object in Layout without having to fiddle with viewports to realign the object, etc (as it is in MAX, huge PITA).
    Otherwise, I quite like that. I would even go further and have different Layouts to choose from (even user customizeable). E.g. one could have a mix for character setup (draw you bones and make your adjustments in a Modeler like viewport and see the effect of your changes in a Layout- like viewport.
    CU
    Elmar
    Yes, my Avatar shows a volume rendering...
    VoluMedic Creative Edition only USD 299 !
    www.volumedic.com

actually over in max you have the isolate tool...which isolates your currently selected objects and places them in the centre of the world...something similar could be implemented in lightwave...once your done with your edit simply exit isolation and your back to your scene.
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

I think that could be done with modeling modes... Object, parent, world. The view ports could snap to whatever coordinate system you choose depending on what object you have selected. That would be a great feature!

Quote Originally Posted by evenflcw
    If you guys can only figure out two different modes I think you are too indoctrinated and not dreaming big enough.
    I also agree that this should be a deeper integration; "ala" XSi.

Nevertheless seems that this is not planned to near times.
    I believe that loosing the HUB and work always in the same space is a huge improvement, specially because it would be possible to weight paint mesh and test the deformations right away without needing HUB sync and save object and bla... bla... bla...

This is the between term… not the perfect but better than the actual annoying one.

Annoying = Time consumer.

Meatwad get the honeys G meathead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    Really? One of the many strengths of integration would be animated modelling. This approach won't provide that any more than the current system.
    Agree, this is not a radical change from what we currently have, which is good in a way, because it would be easy to implement. I voted yes, but why wouldn't you?!?!?

Still, bugger fish to fry, like better dynamics and better CA has to be a bigger priority by v10.
    Medical Illustrator to the Stars!

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast