Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: User Coordinate System (UCS) in Modeler

User Coordinate System (UCS) in Modeler

Hi

In the good old days when I was using AutoCAD there was a pretty nice feature called UCS. It enabled the user to define own coordinate systems with custom xyz and rotation. This is very useful when working on complicated arch models with buildings scattered in all directions...

Anyone know how to do this in modeler , or are there scripts or plugins hwo does this ?

I found one at http://www.ats-3d.com/ , but it does not seem to work...

Cheers,

ArneChr

The nearest thing I can think of is Modify/Translate/Translate plus... numerically defines the pos/rot axes in perspective view.

-Nice for where you micro-bevel and then shift; the top poly will go where you want it to.

m

I use Translate Plus quite a bit when doing architecture. And one thing that helps me is to create a little widget for the items I build in the standard xyz in advance that I will then move into position later.

Now the thing is that if this object has many points or none of the parts of it actually fall on a 90 degree xyz it can be hard to get a segment from Translate Plus.

So what I do is create a widget out of 3 curves that goes wherever the object goes and serves as that objects local xyz. (I sketch color them in the standard xyz colors from layout) This way you can rotate it and move it around at any angle and still be able to position it exactly where you want using translate plus without having the difficulty of finding the correct segment by selecting the segment from the widget rather than the object. You just have to make sure and select the widget and the object before you move it if it is in a layer with other objects. Usually I keep it in a separate layer until it is in position. This set up has worked wonders for me working with walls at all kinds of obtuse angles and positioning as well as sizing things into place.

Another solution I think can work well is to position things in layout and then save trans object. You have access to local xyz for the object to rotate move and scale.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WigetPlus1.gif 
Views:	120 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	54225   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WigetPlus2.gif 
Views:	131 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	54226   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WigetPlus3.gif 
Views:	110 
Size:	8.3 KB 
ID:	54227  

I used to do the same thing as Surrealist. If you want to go that route, I can attest that it will work.

But--with all due respect to Surrealist, and I've made similar comments in past threads-- this kind of workaround is tedious and time-consuming. If you need to do something closer to "real" CAD modeling, you'd do well to acquire a polygon-based modeler like Form Z, modo, or Rhino--all of which are infinitely more powerful in drafting-related situations than LW Modeler is.

I still use Jettolocal or cplane for that...they work great.
    Intel Core i7-4770 @3.40GHz,GeForce GTX 660 - Ram 8Gb - Win 8.1 64b

I think your all missing the point the original post made, as things stand LW is less willing to let you get really close up to your vert's the further away from the point of origin you travel, a dynamic center of origin set at will by the user obviates this, it's difficult to think of another major app that doesn't provide this kind of customization

Quote Originally Posted by arnechr
    Anyone know how to do this in modeler , or are there scripts or plugins hwo does this ?
    There are actually many ways and solutions using LightWave Modeler. The key thing is to really get familiar with all of the tools that exist, then plan accordingly. If you hop on over to the tips and techniques section you'll find all kinds of videos on the basic modeler tools. The plugins mentioned might be something you are looking for. But for me I prefer to keep things simple.

From there it is really a matter of planning your work flow so that you originate and construct all of your basic pieces at the modeler origin. From there it should really only be a matter of placing them or sizing them. However, I am finding myself working in all kinds of odd angles all the time. There are a few tools that can help with that during the construction stage. One of them is Point Normal Move. Another is Multishift which allows you to create geometry from odd angles and also gives you a variety of settings for this.

The pictures I showed you were from a project I am working on now. I had a situation where the walls were all at odd angles and I had to put in custom molding, curtain rods and shelving. Because I was reusing pieces that had to be different lengths and angles it just made sense to move and size them into position. Translate Plus was great for this. It was the fastest and most efficient/flexible way to work.

And for many reasons - not to mention a simple quick and easy workflow - all my assets originate and are used within LightWave to the final product.

You'll have everything you are asking and more with the incoming LWCAD 3.
    http://www.wtools3d.com/swf/online_h...ser_scene.html

Luci e onde del belpaese - www.lwita.com

Hey that Boolean tool looks real cool. Nice snap tools all around in that app already. Looks like v3 will be worth the upgrade.

Thanks all for replies. I think I'll stick around for LWcad 3. This was exactly what I was looking for...
    Last edited by arnechr; 02-04-2008 at 03:00 PM.

Nothing ado about much Exception's Avatar
    Hi!

New LWCAD 3 will have full customized UCS support...
    meanwhile, as said before JettoLocal is a script that is very handy for this, and so is Cplane.

I think those will cover your bases until LWCAd 3 is released soon.

Quote Originally Posted by gerry_g
    I think your all missing the point the original post made...
    No I don't think so

edit:
    Thanks all for replies. I think I'll stick around for LWcad 3. This was exactly what I was looking for...
    DOH!
    Too late.

Man I need to upgrade to LW Cad, I mainly do character stuff, but those are some amazing tools!

WOW! that boolean tool looks amazing, almost like solid modeling. I wonder why NT fails to do interactive tools like this when plugin developers can.

Quote Originally Posted by GraphXs
    Man I need to upgrade to LW Cad, I mainly do character stuff, but those are some amazing tools!
    LWCad is indispensable and version 3 looks to be even more so.

Interesting thread here... and LWCAD3 looks very cool as well. Does anyone know if it will be available in a MacUB version?

Does anyone have a working / live link for Jettolocal? The link on flay is dead...
    Last edited by JeffrySG; 02-05-2008 at 09:40 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast