Thread: Open source video editors?

Open source video editors?

As far as CG goes, we have open source apps such as Blender and OpenFX, which are quite capable. Blender, at least.
    Then there's Gimp, as a replacement for Photoshop... so some people say.

I was wondering if there's any equivalent for video editing - something akin to Adobe After Effects?
    I'd like to get into some video editing, looking for something that will import all the major file formats. Windows Movie Maker is kind of... lacking in terms of cool features.
    Or maybe some good freeware someone might know of and be willing to recommend. At this point I can't justify spending a bunch of money for something I might lose interest in, and I don't really have the time to demo anything, or install a demo only to find it has some idiotic restrictions like all the good features disabled, file size limits, watermarks and so on.
    Thanks.

Thanks. I had actually tried that, but I'm confused what's what. I don't speak Video Edit-ese very well. I wasn't sure if compositing is what I'm looking for.
    I was looking at the Jahshaka program, but wasn't sure what to download, plus it doesn't list Vista 64-bit. Seems that people say it's not for the novice, as well.
    I guess I'm asking for alot - Vista 64-bit, easy to learn and free.

Not that I'm complaining. I'll give it a try, probably. The rest seem to be plugins.

DON'T download Jahshaka. That's the biggest piece of crap imaginable. But unfortunately, for Windows at least, that's the only open source FX type program I've seen.

On Linux there's Cinelerra, and a few others that are supposed to be pretty good.
    visual effect/mograph artist
    Cinema 4D | Lightwave v9.6 | modo 401 | Maestro 2 | Kray 1.7
    MacBook Pro C2D 3 GB

Blog Entries
    Not open source but its free. http://www.debugmode.com/wax/ looks good just haven had time to try it out

I tried that out. It's actually pretty decent, but it crashed on me a lot, and the quality of the particles & everything is sub-par.

I always feel like a party pooper when I'm talking about open source multimedia programs. "Bad...bad...worse...pitiful...bad...no go..."
    MacBook Pro C2D 3 GB

Quote Originally Posted by inigo07
    DON'T download Jahshaka. That's the biggest piece of crap imaginable. But unfortunately, for Windows at least, that's the only open source FX type program I've seen.

On Linux there's Cinelerra, and a few others that are supposed to be pretty good.
    Thank you. I'll remember that. Really, I will.

I've tried the Linux thing, but couldn't get it to work. Maybe I did something wrong, but I think I followed the instructions. Supposedly, the CD I had burned from a download could be used to boot into Linux, for all intents and purposes, but it didn't work.
    I suppose I could use my older, 32 bit machine and install it properly.
    Last edited by IMI; 01-21-2008 at 12:45 PM.

You can download a Live CD of Linux and boot into it, which un-harmifies your system from any errors, but you can also just burn an iso and install it straight over your Microcrap Windows installation. If you do decide to try it, go with Ubuntu. Most applications will have precompiled binaries for Ubuntu, since it's one of the more popular distros.
    MacBook Pro C2D 3 GB

Thanks for the info, really. I think I'm going to try that on my older PC. I have some time to kill and it's been one of those things I've been wanting to try, so this might be a good day for it.

what about blender?

blender.org

Does blender do video editing?

Quote Originally Posted by IMI
    Does blender do video editing?
    Yes. I've used it a bit and though I'd never prefer it over Premiere or even iMovie, it's still capable of great stuff. I think they used it to edit Elephant's Dream, the only movie proven to give adults nightmares.

The compositor, though, is a bit weird (even weirder than Blender itself). I could never figure it out. And it's still not completely great, not near the flexibility as some compositors have.

I've seen where you can buy people's old Premiere packages on eBay for pretty cheap (as in under $200). Premiere also gives some limited compositing features (green screen, chroma key, garbage mattes, layers).
    MacBook Pro C2D 3 GB

Features of the Blender compositor:

* Compositor tightly integrated and aligned with the rendering pipeline
    * MultiLayer OpenEXR files allow to store and reuse raw renderlayer and passes data
    * Complete list of composite node filters, convertors, color and vector operators and mixers including Chroma Key, Blur, RGB Curves, Z Combine, Color Ramp
    * Preview panel to define the portion of interest. A composite then only happens on this part
    * Threaded and memory efficient (up to 8 processors)
    * Near realtime sequencer can edit hours of video
    * Waveform and U/V scatter plots
    * Open and write many audio & video file formats using ffmpeg(linux only at the moment, FFMPEG for Windows/OS X is scheduled for next release)
    * Can render using frameserver-support directly into foreign applications
    * Supports float images as well as regular 32 bits images
    * Curves tool allows you to create a mapping from the float range to a displayable result (for HDR images)