Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matt grey painted metal...

May the sauce be with you starbase1's Avatar

Matt grey painted metal...

This ought to be about the simplest thing possible but...

Anyone got any suggestions for a convincing matt grey painted metal?

I did a simple colour, added a slight specular sheen, a bit of "colour highlights". It's not that it's bad, it's just way too uniform, and particularly when used for larger areas, is not really convincing. No sense of any detail.

I'm after something that is basically similar to a painted plane wing, (it's for a rocket), fairly freshly painted so I can't add rust or dirt to give character. In theory it's also rather smooth, which suggests that bump is the wrong approach, but that doesn't leave a lot to play with!

Nodal or layered, anyone got any suggestions?
    Nick
    Faith is the opposite of Intelligence.

Touched by his noodley appendage!
    My Lightwave Graphics & Downloads!!!

I would give it a slight small bump. The same kind of bump you see in thick painted industry machines. Maybe not that bumpy, only that bit that would be slightly seen in refelctions and specular (very little).

mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2080095.JPG 
Views:	448 
Size:	297.8 KB 
ID:	52634  
    Last edited by StereoMike; 11-29-2007 at 01:38 PM.
    If you are not paying for it, you’re not the customer; you’re the product being sold.

I see what you mean, and perhaps a little noise in the specular channel would help too...

I think I need to knock up a simple scene to test this.

One of my reservations is that it will be used on a very large object, which I don't plan on seeing this close up...

Thanks,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by starbase1
    This ought to be about the simplest thing possible but...

Anyone got any suggestions for a convincing matt grey painted metal?

I did a simple colour, added a slight specular sheen, a bit of "colour highlights". It's not that it's bad, it's just way too uniform, and particularly when used for larger areas, is not really convincing. No sense of any detail.

I'm after something that is basically similar to a painted plane wing, (it's for a rocket), fairly freshly painted so I can't add rust or dirt to give character. In theory it's also rather smooth, which suggests that bump is the wrong approach, but that doesn't leave a lot to play with!

Nodal or layered, anyone got any suggestions?
    Nick
    A light dose of soft reflections works wonders for metal.
    LightWave3D training, assets, news and discussion at www.liberty3d.com
    My opinions are my own and do not represent the opinions of any other entity, Liberty3D is not officially endorsed by NewTek.

Just out of curiosity Mike, what exactly is that sticker telling you not to do? "Don't high-five while sitting on the shredder" ?? "Do not operate the 'Boss-Launcher 2000 Pro' without management supervision"?
    Playing guitar is an endless process of running out of fingers.

For what its worth I think the sign is telling one: not to pat King Cobra whilst Sitting on Box, but then again I could be wrong.

lmao!
    I guess it says: "Don't sneak up on the trash bin and try to steal a broken hockey stick!"

No, really, it says you shouldn't ride electric hand pallet trucks. What a pity. It's such fun. The pic is from my reference folder. I have to deal with these rather frequently (for doing LW, not storing pallets...).

mike
    If you are not paying for it, you’re not the customer; you’re the product being sold.

Ok, I set up a test scene with a big cube (about 4m). A mix of soft spotlight and radiosity for lighting, and a human figure with the camera at his eye level so that any implied scale errors will show up.

I'll share the surfaces when I am finished.

Anyway, here are some images including a 'limestone' sort of texture I bumped into on my way to it!

The main thing I did was a low level of fine scale bump, with lots of levels, and a spec texture at a somewhat different level to the main setting, again lots of levels.

I think it maybe looks a bit too metal, but I think it is getting there. I've stared at it too long, so I'd really appreciate some constructive feedback!

Nick

Name:	limestone.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	52680   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grey-paint-metal2.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	52681   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grey-paint-metal3.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	52682  

For my taste it's way too err...messy (I don't know another word for it right now). The pattern draws too much attention. If it's so big (and you don't need close ups) you should consider dropping the spec/bump pattern alltogether and just apply a blurred reflection map (or blur raytraced reflections), just as jameswilmott said. After all it's matt - but bumps are better to see on shiny surfaces, so dropping them for the matt paint should work, I guess.

mike

I see what you mean, I have the effects way too strong, I'll tone things down a lot.

I'm not so sure about the other suggestions though... I think reflections from matt paint would be negligible, though looking at real world stuff a soft broad specular highlight to some degree is there, particularly when there is a strong point like light source.

Thanks for the suggestions, plenty of food for thought there.

Nick

OK, everything toned down, trying again.

Name:	surf-1.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	52684   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	surf-2.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	52685  

Much better. Maybe up specularity a bit, glossiness seems right (maybe you have to decrease glossiness slightly when you up spec, to avoid it getting to bright on too much of the surface).

refering to the reflections: maybe you can apply an image that would give a very blurred idea of the light conditions/sky ground. Nothing exact, just a blue/brown pic with a big white spot (and much blurred).
    I can't promise that this will work, it's just an idea

mike

Thanks, I'll try the specularity. I think that it will tend to pick pick up local colour from the radiosity - I expect to use this for almost all the renders, and that should give an appropriate hint of colour.

Ok, I set up a test scene with a big cube (about 4m). A mix of soft spotlight and radiosity for lighting, and a human figure with the camera at his eye level so that any implied scale errors will show up.

I'll share the surfaces when I am finished.

Anyway, here are some images including a 'limestone' sort of texture I bumped into on my way to it!

The main thing I did was a low level of fine scale bump, with lots of levels, and a spec texture at a somewhat different level to the main setting, again lots of levels.

I think it maybe looks a bit too metal, but I think it is getting there. I've stared at it too long, so I'd really appreciate some constructive feedback!

Nick
    No insult intended - I swear, the first one looks like a salt lick....

OK, everything toned down, trying again.
    You know what would really convince someone that this is metal is things like seams and rivets. Even if the texture isn't quite right, these extra details would help make up for it...
    LightWave3D training, assets, news and discussion at www.liberty3d.com
    My opinions are my own and do not represent the opinions of any other entity, Liberty3D is not officially endorsed by NewTek.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast