Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steam!

Steam!

Steam....

I just came home from work with a brand new, shiny copy of the double DVD Orange Box - HL2, episode 1 and 2, Portal, and Team Fortress 2.

I was *really* looking forward to at least getting it all installed tonight and maybe playing a little...
    But, I can't even install the damn thing. The Steam server is apparently too busy for that. I already have an account - what the hell do I need the server for? Isn't that what the two DVD's are for - to get all those little 1's and 0's into my PC?

Grrrr...this is irritating.
    I am sooooo much looking forward to Team Fortress 2.
    no comment

Oh, it finally approved me. That's what I was waiting for. Oh well, I was pi$$ed off, but it actually just gave me a laugh...
    When the install finally began, the status indicator initially said "more than 1 year left to install" Now it's down to 3 minutes. I'd say that's a little more like it.
    no comment

From what I've heard, the problem MAY not be steam.
    I believe that the DVD version of the Orange Box has another copy protection software incorporated.
    I don't recall the name, but to get one protected ONLY by Steam, I think you have to buy it from Steam online.
    Good luck though, I hope to buy mine soon.
    Warren Christiansen
    Core i7 3.2Ghz
    12GB Ram
    Windows7 64
    Geoforce GTX285

I am one of the few who actually likes Steam. Now, whatever PC I migrate to, I will always have CS:S and Half-Life 2 ready for download. I don't have to reregister stuff, activate stuff, etc. I absolutely hate the way Microsoft does their stuff, because half the time I lose the little holographic label with the magic numbers.

Hope you get it working well. And I hope that one happy day Valve might start porting to the Mac. Impossible dream...
    visual effect/mograph artist
    Cinema 4D | Lightwave v9.6 | modo 401 | Maestro 2 | Kray 1.7
    MacBook Pro C2D 3 GB

Well, it has a serial number, which it accepted first, before connecting to Steam, if that's what you mean. but then again, so does Half-Life 2.
    All I've seen so far is Steam, as far as the copy protection goes, that I'm aware of.
    Now that it's all installed and updated, it does the same thing as HL2. It logs me in with the same info as my previous HL2 installation, connects, I assume to the license checker, then loads and starts.
    Although Steam does get annoying with the popup ads all the time.
    Anyway, HL2 Episode One is all I've tried so far. Looks pretty cool.
    I'm looking forward to seeing what team Fortress 2 is like.
    no comment

Yeah, inigo, I agree - Steam is pretty cool in that respect. I love not having to use the DVD just to play.
    no comment

Actually I think the only difference between the Orange Box Steam version vs on disc is that if you delete the installation you can't just redownload from steam with the disc version, you have to reinstall with the disc version then download an update from steam.

The only game on steam that has an extra protection is Bioshock . That one has an activation limitation where after a certain number you have to uninstall some of your other ones before it'll let you install on another machine. If your HD dies or something similar you lose one of those activations.

We Make Effective FX! DiscreetFX's Avatar
    Was the graphics in Orange Box made with LW3D?
    DiscreetFX Team
    http://www.discreetfx.com
    Making Your Digital Films More Effective!
    DVE's & LiveSets for VT[5], TriCasters & SpeedEDIT 2.

Quote Originally Posted by billpana
    Was the graphics in Orange Box made with LW3D?
    XSI
    fauxWaver \foʊ-wāv-er\, n. one who likes LightWave, but shuns car-anologies.

Speaking of Steam and LW3D graphics, this now seems like a good opportunity for a shameless ad...

Shadowgrounds Survivor (a spin off/sequel to original Shadowgrounds published couple of years ago) is coming to Steam on 14th of November. Coming Soon-page is already set up at Steam website.

For those who don't know it yet, the preview from Worthplaying sums it up quite nicely: "If you love action, suspense, Space Opera sci-fi and killing aliens, then you'll love Survivor!" - I'd like to add that if you loved Alien Breed (one of my personal retro favourites from Amiga!), Alien Syndrome or even Doom 3, you probably will love this too.
    Riding the LightWave with Commodore 64, MOS [email protected],985MHz and 64kB's of RAM and Videopac G7000, Intel [email protected] MHz with 192 bytes of RAM

Sounds cool, Sande.

I have to say, HL2 - Episodes 1 and 2 are pretty nice in the graphics department. Episode 2, at least the beginning, is a very nice change of scenery. Beautiful, really. I had vowed to myself I wasn't going to open Episode 2 before completing Episode 1, but I couldn't help it.
    no comment

I play on steam all the time. TF2 mostly. my player name is guess what?

STOOCH. thats right. so if you see a stooch shooting you in the face with a sniper gun its probably me.

Quote Originally Posted by Stooch
    I play on steam all the time. TF2 mostly. my player name is guess what?

STOOCH. thats right. so if you see a stooch shooting you in the face with a sniper gun its probably me.

I'll be sure to be watching out for you.
    no comment

Man. I miss out on everything. Macs miss out on the fun, guys, you're rubbing it in. Mayhaps I need to start to dual-boot...
    visual effect/mograph artist
    Cinema 4D | Lightwave v9.6 | modo 401 | Maestro 2 | Kray 1.7
    MacBook Pro C2D 3 GB

lol join the dark siide! but seriously if you are doing 3d art you should be dual booting anyway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast