Thread: Creating an imprint

Newbie Member

Creating an imprint

I am trying to create an imprint in the ground of an animal. I have create a 3d object of the foot, but when I try to use the boolean function to subtract the print from the ground (which is just a rectangle) it only imprints a small portion of the entire paw. I basically have half of the paw extending outside the ground layer. I have also tried the solid drill tool and I am not getting any results. I have test the functions with a square and a circle and everything worked fine, but when i try and do it with my paw print it doesn't work. Can anyone help me?

Is the foot 'closed'. By 'closed' I mean that all the polys share edges. Also check that no points share the same location.

It's been a while since I had a problem. I now make sure that each object is 'clean' before I boolean. No single points or 2 point polys, etc.

Newbie Member
    As far as i can tell, each portion of the paw print is closed. Is there a way to find out if I have an 1 or 2 point polygons? I checked the statistics and no 1 or 2 vertexes come up. I do have a non-planar. I also noticed that I have a total of 1908 polygons, but only 1907 subPatches. Could this refer to what you are speaking of?

This can happen using boolean subtraction when the background object does not extend outside completely. A good example of this is using an object that is not extruded on a curved surface.
    You can extrude the object making sure that it clears the curved surface or use the drill tool which is meant for 2d meshes. Instead of tunneling which would punch a hole straight through your curved surface, you can use stenciling, which will apply the shape to the curve. You can then select that new shape and bevel it inwards, or one of the other tools to get the shape you desire.
    Silk
    Silkrooster.com - temporarily offline due to updating...
    Spinquad Forum - Closed Sorry...
    lightwave-resources.pdf - - temporarily offline due to updating...