Thread: Aaahh!!! Urgent Help – Rendering

Aaahh!!! Urgent Help – Rendering

Hi
    All of a sudden the toaster (or WMP) will not put my animations from lightwave on the timeline…

In LW, I usually ‘Save Animation’
    AVI – Uncompressed

Never had issues with this until I am rendering this 1300 frame animation

The second time I rendered I also chose ‘SAVE RGB’ and used PNG24
    How ever, when I used Aura to put the RGB files to RTV I have no Alpha…

Can someone please recommend the best way to render to uncompressed…keeping Alpha…or why am I having problems now?

The lightwave computer is separate from the toaster (VT4.6)

thanks
    William Bisset
    Director
    PO BOX 107007
    Airport Oaks, Auckland
    (+64) 9 6229000
    NEW ZEALAND

i changed RGB to TARGA and now have Alpha...what is the best way to get an animatio now
    William Bisset
    Director
    PO BOX 107007
    Airport Oaks, Auckland
    (+64) 9 6229000
    NEW ZEALAND

24bit images have no alpha --> 8bits per colour channel, X 3 = 24 bit.
    32bit images CAN carry alpha info --> 3 8bit colour channels + 1 8bit alpha channel.

Your best bet is (outside of toaster, I have no knowledge of using it....) using something like After Effects, Final Cut Pro or Premiere - or any other industry standard app for compositing or editing. These should handle your 32bit image sequences with ease.

Also, for cleaner alpha channels, set your output alpha to unpremultiplied, unpremultiply alpha in LW render settings, under the 'output' tab. Images viewed in photoshop will look hideous - but in AFX or Premiere they will come through just lovely.

Try to stay clear of outputting direct to animation (video files) until the final edit and delivery - for the very reasons you have mentioned: If it falls over, you lose everything, or sometimes just plain fails to do what you ask.

Good luck,

flakester.

Thanks for your info Flakester

I ended up changing to Targa...and loaded seq into Aura seemed to work...

A few Questions...
    What is best image format to use for high quality (TVads)

Targa? PNG?
    How do i set to "unpremultiplied'?

thanks again
    William Bisset
    Director
    PO BOX 107007
    Airport Oaks, Auckland
    (+64) 9 6229000
    NEW ZEALAND

What is best image format to use for high quality (TVads)?

Depends on who you're delivering to; best to check with the people who run the facilities you are working on behalf of, most are ok with digital file formats these days, such as a final .AVI or .MOV output, though some will still require an output to tape (DVcam, DV or MiniDV / BetaSP, Digibeta or other) - still do your work in Targa (or other chosen format) sequences, just be sure to give them what they want as your final output.

Not sure if the option even existed in versions of LW earlier than 9.2.
    I you're not running 9.2 or above, I'm afraid I know nothing more on the subject....[would also suggest that you upgrade, you may be missing so much!]..... if you are running 9.2 or above, here's how:

Find your way to the 'Render Globals' button [and click on it!] - can be found under the 'Render' tab along the very top tab-set of the screen.

Half way down the 'Render Globals' panel, you will find a set of tabs that read [left to right] "Render / Filtering / Global Illumination / Output / Mask"....
    Select the 'Output' tab.
    The very bottom drop-down menu type selector has two options for you to choose from, choose the 'Unpremultiply Alpha' option.

Hope that sheds some light for you.

flakester.

What is best image format to use for high quality (TVads)?

Depends on who you're delivering to; best to check with the people who run the facilities you are working on behalf of, most are ok with digital file formats these days, such as a final .AVI or .MOV output, though some will still require an output to tape (DVcam, DV or MiniDV / BetaSP, Digibeta or other) - still do your work in Targa (or other chosen format) sequences, just be sure to give them what they want as your final output.

Not sure if the option even existed in versions of LW earlier than 9.2.
    I you're not running 9.2 or above, I'm afraid I know nothing more on the subject....[would also suggest that you upgrade, you may be missing so much!]..... if you are running 9.2 or above, here's how:

Find your way to the 'Render Globals' button [and click on it!] - can be found under the 'Render' tab along the very top tab-set of the screen.

Half way down the 'Render Globals' panel, you will find a set of tabs that read [left to right] "Render / Filtering / Global Illumination / Output / Mask"....
    Select the 'Output' tab.
    The very bottom drop-down menu type selector has two options for you to choose from, choose the 'Unpremultiply Alpha' option.

Hope that sheds some light for you.

flakester.

::EDIT:: Apologies for double post.

HI thanks for your suggestions
    Sorry what i meant is when rendering, is TArga the better foramt to use...When i send TVC to TV i use BETA SP and edit everything uncompressed in VT4
    I have LW9 need to upgrade to 9,3...keen to play around with the 'Unpremultiply Alpha' option.

Cheers
    William Bisset
    Director
    PO BOX 107007
    Airport Oaks, Auckland
    (+64) 9 6229000
    NEW ZEALAND