Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Vue6 Anitailasing Question

I've been using the plant exports with Fprime and have achieved some nice looking results that don't flicker. Real geometry in the foreground and cards in the mid-back. The only thing missing is some wind effects on the trees, which so far I can only do in Vue. But I think I'll swap the wind for flickerfree and much faster renders
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Still03.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	51471  
    Last edited by stevecullum; 10-24-2007 at 01:53 PM.
    i7 X3930/32GB/Quadro 4000

Newbie Member
    You can get rid of the noise and flickering by using the "Texture Filtering Option" in the custom render settings, a value of 30% is recommended.

Also make sure that in the Vue Plug-in, under options, you have the render set to custom.

Except with my experience setting it to custom still doesn't use the settings you choose in Vue.

Banding.

I'm getting "Banding" on a 1920 X 1080 render of just a sky (see attached). I've cropped the shot to just the sky. I put this on "ultra" AA. Set to millions of colors. I guess I have to look deeper.

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scene_59(0[1].00.00.05)Test_22.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	52275  

It's hard to tell if what I am seeing is due to Jpeg compression or serious banding in the image.

Banding

No not from JPG compression. This is an uncompressed frame, millions of colors. Again 1920 X 1080. Could someone try this with stars please and see if we get better quality?

TIA

GP

Here's a quote from the latest e-on newsletter on how to reduce flickering of textures on foliage in the distance - I haven't tried it yet but will probably give it a go over christmas (he says...as if!). Maybe next year

----------------
    Part 1: How to reduce flickering and/or noise in animations:
    Introducing the Texture Filtering render setting!

Texture Filtering is an essential render setting to reduce noise and flickering that can arise because of high frequency textures (components of materials that exhibit very fine detail, usually finer than the size of a pixel). When used properly, it will lower the needs for strong object anti-aliasing (thus speeding up the render), and greatly reduce texture flickering.

Where to find it:

It can be accessed via the anti-aliasing options dialog, just above texture anti-aliasing options. This setting is always accessible, even for render presets. Its value is editable through a slider that ranges from 0 to 100%.

How it works:

This value corresponds to the size of the filter applied over textures during render. Ideally, this filter should always have the size of a pixel, so that all texture detail contained in each pixel is properly taken into account during texture evaluation. This corresponds to a value of 50% for Texture Filtering. If you specify a lower value, textures will be sharper but with more noise and/or flickering. If you specify a higher value, noise will be smoothed out but textures will appear blurred.

In practice:

You should tweak the value regarding your specific needs. In practice, the smallest value that yields good-enough results should be used. From our own experience, a default value of 33% usually does the trick.

Texture Filtering will influence two components at render:

1) Bitmaps: for each bitmap used in materials, if you edit its texture map node via the function editor, you will see a flag named "allow mip-mapping", which is checked by default. When this flag is checked, and if Texture Filtering has a non zero value, corresponding bitmaps will be pre-filtered just before rendering. Thus, at render time, distant bitmaps won't exhibit any noise or flickering. This is particularly useful when rendering animated plants, especially for distant ones. You will enjoy much smoother results, and a great reduction in flickering. As specified above, a value for Texture Filtering of 33% will generally produce the best results.

2) Generic texture anti-aliasing: when texture anti-aliasing is enabled, the Texture Filtering value will drive the size of the filter used by the texture anti-aliasing process, just like for bitmaps. This is very important because if texture anti-aliasing is enabled but Texture Filtering is set to 0%, you won't notice any improvement. Just like for bitmaps, a value of 33% is generally ideal for Texture Filtering used along with texture anti-aliasing.
    - web: http://www.albino-igil.co.uk - 2D/3D Design Studio -
    - PC Spec: Intel i9-7940X @3.1GHz | 64Gb | 2 x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb | Windows 10 Pro -

Love your Christmas spikey animal thingy

Here's a quote from the latest e-on newsletter on how to reduce flickering of textures on foliage in the distance - I haven't tried it yet but will probably give it a go over christmas (he says...as if!).
    Well I created a basic quick test using the suggested 33 for the texture filtering. I used the broadcast level AA for this, so really I need far higher for Ecosystem animation, but thought it might be a good place to start to see how much improvement there is from no texture filters.

Comparing the two, I think there is a slight improvement, so maybe with higher AA the texture filtering will be beneficial.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    i7 X3930/32GB/Quadro 4000

Ooh - I'll give it a go then, it would've been good for a current project but I haven't the time to experiment for it :/

Thanks Andy

It's Papa Igil - with his "seasonal burned marshmallow-on-a-stick, a symbol of some import and weight to the whole of the igil population, a reminder of harder times in their past of huddling around camp fires to keep the cold winter nights at bay, of camraderie, good family moments, and most importantly, of what happens when you sit too close to the fire."
    - web: http://www.albino-igil.co.uk - 2D/3D Design Studio -
    - PC Spec: Intel i9-7940X @3.1GHz | 64Gb | 2 x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb | Windows 10 Pro -

Some other render settings from another place.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234