Thread: render Spherical Map

render Spherical Map

Hi,
    how would I need to setup the advanced camera (or any other camera) to render out a 360° image with spherical mapping (example here: http://www.dosch.de/produkte/hdri/Nature_V1.html)

Cheers, Florian
    3DGrafikvonBehr
    Sys: 2x Mac Pro, 8x 2.8 Ghz, GeForce 8800 GT, 10 GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.5.5 and Vista Business 64

I think Advanced camera, Horizontal FOV set to Cylinder, 360°, Vertical FOV set to Cylinder 180° should do it.
    LightWave3D training, assets, news and discussion at www.liberty3d.com
    My opinions are my own and do not represent the opinions of any other entity, Liberty3D is not officially endorsed by NewTek.

Looks good, Thanks.

Florian
    3DGrafikvonBehr
    Sys: 2x Mac Pro, 8x 2.8 Ghz, GeForce 8800 GT, 10 GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.5.5 and Vista Business 64

May the sauce be with you starbase1's Avatar
    I stuck a preset for this on my downloads page too...
    See below!
    Faith is the opposite of Intelligence.

Touched by his noodley appendage!
    My Lightwave Graphics & Downloads!!!

Quote Originally Posted by starbase1
    I stuck a preset for this on my downloads page too...
    See below!
    Thanks!
    3DGrafikvonBehr

Quote Originally Posted by jameswillmott
    I think Advanced camera, Horizontal FOV set to Cylinder, 360°, Vertical FOV set to Cylinder 180° should do it.
    In my tests the setting should be 360° for both directions. That way it looks allright when used as a background map.

Florian
    3DGrafikvonBehr

Rock'nRoll Set Visualiser Adrian@Stufish's Avatar
    's a wierd one - LW seems to expect a lightprobe image that's a 360wrap, but the way it maps if you use that from a camera pointing straight up for a backround/luminosity source, then you are only using the 'information' from about the centre quarter of the image (AKA above the horizon - the bulk of the image is underground. so in order to avoid a stupidly big image map that is 75%+ useless, you have to use a 180 map and map that as a planar (Y) mapping onto a halph sphere - this of course inevetably smears the horizon - which is the bit the camera is most likely to be pointing at!
    Anyone worked out a way to use the camera to make a spherical wrap image that looks like a rectangle spraed at the poles & maps the same as all the other LW spherical maps - at least that way only half the image is useless and the horizon has the least shrink&re-spread!
    It's only Rock & Roll, but it pays the wages!