Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The New Tek AVI file curse.

The New Tek AVI file curse.

Seem that it is entirely possible to shut down the Tricaster while the archive button is still going. (Not good programing) If you do shut down the program the remaining Temp .avi file is encoded with the NewTek25 proprietary codec.

Final Cut Pro, Abobe Premier Pro, Sony Vegas and several other I have tried can not open this file to add the missing ending to the file. They all report that it is not an.avi file. Now I have 42 gigs of .avi file with invaluable data on it but I can not access it.

The request is two fold:
    1. Please give us a patch for the program so that it can not shut down until the recording has been stopped.

2. Help us to recover some of these files with a simple program or set of instructions to regain some of our irreplaceable productions that have been lost to this problem.

Thanks

SteveRother

If the TriCaster can still read the file, head over to the download area to get the Codec Pack for those other machines: this may help you get over the hump.

G'Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by UnCommonGrafx
    If the TriCaster can still read the file, head over to the download area to get the Codec Pack for those other machines: this may help you get over the hump.

G'Luck!
    Thanks, NewTek25 is installed on all of the machines.
    The problem is two fold:

1. the file wan never ended. (broken)
    2. the file is in a proprietary codec "NewTek25"

If there were only one of these there would be no problem. Both of them together seem to be fatal.

Thanks
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveRother
    The problem is two fold:

1. the file wan never ended. (broken)
    Paul Lara agreed, a while back, that a software enhancement to automatically 'finish' a currently recording AVI on the TC when you exited TriCaster normally would be a dandy idea. Don't know where this sits...

-steve

Stop recording on Exit is a good idea. It leaves unsolved the problem of how to recover from an unexpected crash ('stuff happens') ...

An included tool that could at least make a valiant attempt to recover unnaturally truncated capture files would still be a very nice thing to provide. 'Home team advantage' going to the guys who designed the codec would seem to make success more likely. I smell a feature request.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie
    'Home team advantage' going to the guys who designed the codec would seem to make success more likely.
    :agree:

I've learned way more than I've wanted to about AVI files over the past few years, trying to fix some of my most valuable broken TC AVIs.

-s

Partical success

I have had a partial success that I posted here.

Still not there, a little help would go a long way here. New Tek, you out there?

I guess this could also be some Karmic thing that only happens to guys named Steve...

SteveRother

It's ALL about the light Paul Lara's Avatar
    Yes, NewTek is here. Let me talk to the TriCaster coders and see if there is some method they know of recovering after an improper end of file.
    Don't stream it - TriCast it!

Thanks Paul

Thanks for your help I am sure there are many 40 to 60 gig files out there that people just wont give up on.

Thanks

SteveRother
    Steve Rother
    Lightworker
    Las Vegas NV

Well, don't thank me just yet. There seems to be no easy fix or utility that can actually repair these files. There are utilities that would let you play these files, but not repair and re-validate them.

Yeah, I mean, I definitely give the NewTek folk the benefit of the doubt that if fixing these files were 'quick and easy', it'd be done by now. So that leaves 'time-consuming and hard', which is still within NewTek's ability.

Even something that patched these files enough so that we could load them into the TriCaster 'Edit Media' tab and then write out standard DV-AVI files with 'Prepare for VCR' would be cause for a national holiday for some of us...

Trying to fall somewhere between 'broken record' and 'squeaky wheel' here... thanks for all the assistance, Paul.

-steve

Well Paul,

In the interim, and in the spirit of "A stitch in time saves bunches." or better, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." why not take steps to at least try and prevent the: "Whoops, I forgot to stop recording, before I shut down." phenomenon?

When I click the up right "X" now, the first print still says: "What would you like to do?" But on that same line, centered under "Shut Down TriCaster", it is followed by: "Do you need to STOP 'Record Output' First?" Then spaces and "If so: Click 'Cancel' and stop it."

With Ctrl+Alt+E, are the same words, except that the new first sentence is centered under: "Exit TriCaster".

I don't think that this is beyond the things that us end users might do as this closely parallels what we do for Limiting User Access. It is even the same two files that need to be, I guess, replaced. (I have modified "SAFEInialization" to match these same). The replacement procedure is almost identical to Limiting User Access.

Would you like to make these available for download at NewTek?

Nes Gurley

Quote Originally Posted by Cineman
    Would you like to make these available for download at NewTek?
    Thank you Nes. Engineers are working on a software update that will remedy this and a few other things as well.

Well, you had only talked of something to repair the corrupted recordings up to now. But, yes, an automatic stop of "Record Output" on TriCaster Shut Down, would be much better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cut Shut Down TriCaster.JPG 
Views:	175 
Size:	356.5 KB 
ID:	49155   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cut Exit TriCaster.JPG 
Views:	165 
Size:	349.5 KB 
ID:	49156  

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveRother
    I have had a partial success that I posted here.

Still not there, a little help would go a long way here.

I'm working with totally different AVI files, 8 FPS Xvid codec Camstudio files, but the basic theory should be the same. If they go over 2GB, Camstudio won't touch them again at the end, and finish the file, or if I've crowded the disc it stops with a smaller unfinished file. Finally had one I really wanted to keep, so I got off my *** and figured it out. Should have done it 2 or 3 years ago really.

Fix it manually. Header size or some other aspect may be a little different, but the general idea should be the same. AVI has a header at the start with framerate, size, aspect, etc etc, that isn't written until the file is done. At the end of the file is the index, with keyframe info etc. With a stopped file, you don't have the index written at the end, and there is no header info since it wasn't retouched after knowing the file size etc.

First, get some programs. Hexapad is key, not the perfect editor but free, and will let you insert info into a file to fix the header.
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Program.../Hexapad.shtml

Then
    http://www.videohelp.com/tools/secti...ditors-wmv-avi
    From here, get VirtualdubMod or VirtualdubMpeg2. Vdub can reindex the file, fixing the rest of it. This will take a long time on such a long file, takes a good time just with the 600 mb file I was working on. Could not even handle such a large file, but somewhat open development and a lot of people use it, so likely it will.

With the same settings, make two short files for testing. One, a minute or two of video, and close the file normally. The second, a minute or two of video then close the program to make a stopped file.

Now look at the stopped file. Vdub under tools menu has it's own hex editor, load it in there. (Has to not already be open in Vdub main program to load into the editor.) First part of the file will likely be blank, for me it was 0 to 7ff hex. 800 hex was where the frames started. Your blank header may not be all 00 or similar though, some programs may put a header, but with just blank file info. Either way you need to determine where the start of actual file frame data is, I'm not sure if the header is 2K (0-7ff hex) always or variable size.

Now load your good AVI, and under edit, extract 0-800 (doesn't save the last byte) to a file, avistart.avi. That's your header. In hexapad, open the short broken file. Put your cursor on byte 0. Scroll down to 7ff, note it is the end of the first column of that row. Hold shift and click the byte at 7ff, this will select the header. Then do Edit, delete. Make sure your cursor is now at the start of the file, and Edit, insert from file, and pick the avistart.avi file. This should insert your AVI header into the broken file. Then save the file with a new name..

This still won't play, there's no index on the broken file. But it won't say 'not an avi file' since it has a header now.

Open Vdub. Under Video menu, select 'direct stream copy', so you don't forget later. This makes the copy fast, no advance editing, just copy the file stream data. Now do File, open. Click the check box for 'ask for extended options' in the lower left before selecting the file with new header. An extra dialog will open, click the upper left 're-derive keyframes' option. This should take a very long time on a 60 GB file. Once it's done, you should be able to seek like normal. Then File, save as AVI and give a new file name and you'll make a new file with right info. Direct stream copy means writing the file should go pretty fast, you're not doing heavy processing.

Again, do the short test files to get the idea and make sure it works first, and make sure Vdub can handle your video codec etc. Also work on a backup of your 60 GB file, so if you mess something up you can start over and try different programs if needed. Basically once you've done it a time or two it's easy, Vdub does most of the work of actually fixing it. You're really only doing a little work, cutting out the old and splicing in a new header, then letting Vdub rebuild the keyframe index. I'd really copy out an avistart.avi header from a longer file for general patching use though. Vdub doesn't seem to be bothered by a short file length in the header, but can't hurt, and some other program might not like it if you need something else. And of course you'll need some elbow room on the drive, since you'll be making 2 or 3 extra files in the process, I wouldn't delete anything until you're sure the end result works well..

Now of course I'm wishing I hadn't deleted so many of my 2GB failed files. Nothing too important, but now it's easy to get them back to working.

Hope this helps. For certain it's working for me on smaller files, only real questions would be the larger file sizes and if Vdub can handle working with the Newtek codec.

Alan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast