Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beowulf

Beowulf

Let the all CG human argument begin-
    http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/beowulf/
    "O K, so what's the speed of dark?"

Demo reel 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOOixvRhcs4

Looks interesting. As I'm new to these forums what is there to argue about exactly?

what argument? there are times when you cant make a shot with conventional equipment due to various reasons so you must make do with a CG human. they definitelly pushed the CG a bit too much but it might also make sense financially.

not sure about how much angelina charges for her time but if she has to come in for a session for voice over and mocap and then move on, the studio can use those assets with more flexibility and might end up saving money in the long run. anyway, although i agree that more often then not a real character is all you need, i am not completely against full CG characters if there is a reason for it. to some people it just comes down to the fact that they like CG and are willing to buy a movie ticket jus to see it.

I think the style is too realistic to be charming and too fake to suspend belief.

Was that thin meatstick the main monster of the saga? Grendel? It looked more like a doner kebap.

If I were Beowulf I'd take a leaf of bread and show him the inside.

If you are not paying for it, you’re not the customer; you’re the product being sold.

It looks like a video game cinematic.

ridiculous and pointless. excusable when it was done the first time by the people at final fantasy cuz hey... maybe they didn't know better.

but ROBERT FING ZEMECKIS?! he's lost it.

why oh why oh why do the digital equivalent of shooting a stage play with a movie camera?

that is, why completely nullify your medium of choice by simply trying to imitate another?

animation is about caricature and stylization.

if you have COMPLETELY REALISTIC HUMAN BEINGS serving as a stand in in a live action movie as a stunt double, GREAT!

but a completely cgi film with completely photorealistic cgi people (though we have not achieved that here)....? RI-FING-DICULOUS! even slightly ricockulous!

these people should study art theory for a day or something.

jin

p.s. truly, what argument? it is a complete waste of time and talent.

After hearing from friends working on Beowulf, it doesnt look quite as good as what I was expecting. And yes, I dont know what the point is in spending all the time and money on creating CG 'actors' that appear exactly like real actors. I prefer the stylized look and design detail of Digic's Exigo shorts (though lame dialogue).

http://www.digicpictures.com/dataeng/pager.htm if you have not seen before, click on 'Exigo Shorts and Outro,' then 'more,' then start with 'Exigo Intro'.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04_render_hi.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	143.5 KB 
ID:	48519  

Demo reel 2017

The images are impressive, but the action just doesn't ring true. I'm convinced we will see actors replaced in our lifetime. A few years back Macromedia developed "smart models." AI embellished character models will be the next step. Beowolf is still a $500 calculator watch. The $10 models will do more and cost less.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	holysheitmq3.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	48520  

MacBook Pro Intel Core i7 2.66 GHZ • 8 GB • NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M • OSX 10.10.4 / Win 7
    Mac Pro Intel Xeon 6 Core 3.3 GHZ • 48 GB • NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti 2x27" • OSX 10.10.4 / Win 10

Just watch Beowulf and Grendel, i thought it was a pretty nice depiction of the poem, i loved the fact that you actually feel sorry fro Grendel at some part in the movie, that he was just a victim of circumstances.
    I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious. - Albert Einstein
    visit my company site : House of Secrets
    visit my personal site : svenneve.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stooch
    what argument? there are times when you cant make a shot with conventional equipment due to various reasons so you must make do with a CG human.
    Right, but obviously, most of the 'performance' shots seen in the trailer could much more easily have been done by the actors.

not sure about how much angelina charges for her time but if she has to come in for a session for voice over and mocap and then move on, the studio can use those assets with more flexibility and might end up saving money in the long run.
    I cant imagine how specific mocap performances for this movie can be re-used for another movie. While generic walk cycles and the like are not considerable costs.

And at $150mil, Beowulf costs more than other Jolie genre movies like Mr and Mrs Smith ($110mil), TombRaider ($94mil) or World of Tomorrow ($70mil), so I dont know where they might be saving any money by using CG versions of the actors.

to some people it just comes down to the fact that they like CG and are willing to buy a movie ticket jus to see it.
    I'll certainly be buying a ticket just to see the CG, same as I do with a lot of other crap. CG photorealism is a more interesting challenge to me than cute, charactery things that most seem to see as the be all & end all for CG. Maybe indulgent, but I think it's just fun to see if you can try to recreate reality, even a human.

Demo reel 2017

Also, i never understood Zemeckis obsession with entire mocap-ed movies...
    I get the feeling he's getting away with this mediocre story telling because it's such a new medium and he gets all these 'high profile' actors lined up to work in his 'movies' (Monster House was horrible, and this doesn't look any better)
    I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious. - Albert Einstein
    visit my company site : House of Secrets
    visit my personal site : svenneve.com

I think it might have been pandering to Ray Winstone's desired body image... yes, I'm sure that's it...

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (388.13, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Seeing I'm a medieval geek, having read Beowulf an untold number of times (once in the Old English) I really really hope that this movie will be a good one. I'm just hoping I won't be totally disappointed, because Beowulf, the Nibelungelied, and all those great Scandinavian tales are a sort of obsession of mine.

We'll see...
    visual effect/mograph artist
    Cinema 4D | Lightwave v9.6 | modo 401 | Maestro 2 | Kray 1.7
    MacBook Pro C2D 3 GB

That is seriously optimistic of you Inigo07...

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (388.13, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast