Page 55 of 56 FirstFirst ... 54553545556 LastLast

Thread: Extra Buffer nodes

Just in case, DP Median works on Refraction buffer as well, but one thing worth to notice with it is that its results are in dependence on surrounding pixels and in this sense, it is useful for getting rid of hot pixels artifacts and not actual noise due to too few samples. i.e. For this material we have just 1 refraction sample:

what we see there is not actually fireflies artifact but noise artifacts due to just a single refraction sample. In cases like this, DP Denoiser may be more suitable:

If we increase refraction samples to let's say 8, we can get rid of the noise and actually see a couple of fireflies there in refraction buffer

which can be solved with DP Median as usual:

A possible refinement for DP Median usage could be to convert from RGB to HSV/HLS and apply different settings according to hue/saturation/value/relative luminance and then convert back to RGB. However for extreme cases we still may try with the roll-off + logarithmic setup shared before.

Quote Originally Posted by Julez4001
    You mind if I repost this in the LW Support Facebook Group? With full credit of course.
    Hey Julez! sure!

Gerardo
    Last edited by gerardstrada; 12-23-2018 at 04:59 AM.

Just to let you know Denis has developed a new Antialiasing tool! it's based on "Enhanced Subpixel Morphological Antialiasing" paper (SMAA 1x), you'll find it in Effects group of DP Filter Node Editors.

This new node could be useful for example if we want to use the Object/Surface Matte passes setups shared for DP Image Filter Node Editor here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20140617...Object_ID_Pass

Color or Color+Value Edge Detection Mode works fine for using it after matte pass setups:

DP Antialiasing node could be useful also if we would like to perform color corrections within LightWave in DP Image Filter Node Editor, since the node help us to get nicer edges with DP Mask Objects/Surfaces nodes:

It could be used also when we apply DP DOF and we get some aliased artifacts:

As we can see some areas are aliased:

DP Antialias can help us to get rid of those by applying it after DP DOF node:

and get nicer edges:

Think you will find more interesting usages, probably it could be used also when rendering at double resolution (2x) and downsampling to get smoother results (like 4x), etc...

Denis has made DP Antialiasing and DP Median available for v2015 as well!

Happy New Year!!!

Gerardo
    Last edited by gerardstrada; 01-01-2019 at 05:50 AM.

Very Nice!

i assume it works ok with FiberFX also, since FiberFX in 2018 is basically 2 point poly chains.
    in 11.6 DP Dof couldn't read the FiberFX data, as far as i know.

Thanks again, always value your posts, and DPont's contributions

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Superb information Gerardo. Many thanks for all the tips and tricks you've provided over the years, and as always thanks Denis P.
    Happy 2019 guys!

Quote Originally Posted by adk View Post
    Superb information Gerardo. Many thanks for all the tips and tricks you've provided over the years, and as always thanks Denis P.
    Happy 2019 guys!
    +1
    Thinking the same thing.
    Salut!,
    Allabulle.

Adk, Allabulle, glad you find some of these tests useful! Erikals, yes, if artifacts are produced by post-Dof, then DP AA can help. Tried also if it could help when using poor AA settings for FiberFX in v2018 but there's not a very noticeable difference for the fibers:

In v2015 we can indeed get better results with DP Antialiasing by using the double DP PFNE instance trick with the Classic Camera, so for every AA pass we can apply DP Antialiasing filter, too. It's like doubling the AA passes without the render time hit.

Gerardo

"Enhanced Subpixel Morphological Antialiasing"
    ah, just like OLM for PhotoShop. Awesome!

better results with DP Antialiasing by using the double DP PFNE instance trick
    nice!

does it only work with Classic Camera? never the less, mighty cool, will try this.

edit: any possibility of having it released for LightWave 11?
    no biggie, but would be cool if it's not too much work.
    Last edited by erikals; 01-05-2019 at 08:46 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

You are right! it works also with other cameras. But we need to set up Sampling Pattern to Classic or Fixed and use Motion Blur passes. This does not work in LW2018 because its SDK is opaque in this and other matters. Still waiting that NT may support Denis on this subject so we can have this and many other features (native buffers, Global Buffers, DOF filter, Motion Blur filter, AA filter, etc...) working at pixel filter level. It seems also that in LW 2018, Subframes in Motion Blur do not improve antialiasing - it works probably like Low-Discrepancy sampling pattern in v2015.

Gerardo

Nonplanar Triangle Quantenschaum's Avatar
    i know! i'm bad with nodes! :-)
    is it possible to do a step by step tuto for how to apply 'median' exclusively to 'Spec Indirect' plus maybe 'Diff Indirect' and then get a clean composed end render?
    should be easy to figure out how to add other buffers from there.

i could in turn do one of my illustrated 'how to: for noobs' doc-versions in the facebook Lightwave Support Group :-)
    Last edited by Quantenschaum; 01-11-2019 at 10:20 AM.

@Gerardo - are the examples posted here and in other threads 2018 or are they 2015 or a mix of both?

Could I ask t put a note about which one so we don't get confused?

thanks

Quantenschaum, Ok! I'll make a step by step tuto.

Gar26lw, from the post about DPFilter update news for v2018 to last post about DP Antialiasing, renders are full v2018, excepting the LW Hero scene which is full v2015 and the color management process of the cartoon-style render which is a back and forth between both versions (but that's kind off-topic for this thread). However in any of both exceptions, the subjects covered for this thread apply for both versions indistinctly, seeing that DP Antialiasing is used in the same way in both versions and Surface/Object Matte nodes used with DP CustomBuffers in v2018 can be used also in v2015 with DP ExtraBuffers. But you are right, from now on if I use v2015 or a mix, I'll specify, if don't - then v2018 can be assumed

Gerardo

thx in advance! :-)
    i recently took a very old scene and character, updated it to LW2018 PBSDF material only, even for the Skin. it was almost impossible to render without fireflies, pretty much exclusively on the skin and of course due to use of 'clearcoat', which looks pretty. your simple DP_Median node chain saved me! in this special case i could even make use of the SurfaceMask node, to restrict median filtering to skin only. tiny bit awkward, but it worked in this case. it really only got rid of the flies, while retaining the fine skinpore specular pixels. i could render with very low quality settings overall: Reflect 2, Subsurf 4, Radio: 8, Camera 1/8. :-)
    pic: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DPMedian_03.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	879.5 KB 
ID:	143866

movie w audio (seems to default to 360p but is 720p, fullscreen only via youtube):
    Last edited by Quantenschaum; 01-15-2019 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gerardstrada View Post
    Quantenschaum, Ok! I'll make a step by step tuto.

Gar26lw, from the post about DPFilter update news for v2018 to last post about DP Antialiasing, renders are full v2018, excepting the LW Hero scene which is full v2015 and the color management process of the cartoon-style render which is a back and forth between both versions (but that's kind off-topic for this thread). However in any of both exceptions, the subjects covered for this thread apply for both versions indistinctly, seeing that DP Antialiasing is used in the same way in both versions and Surface/Object Matte nodes used with DP CustomBuffers in v2018 can be used also in v2015 with DP ExtraBuffers. But you are right, from now on if I use v2015 or a mix, I'll specify, if don't - then v2018 can be assumed

Gerardo

thankyou very much for that clarification, Gerardo, much appreciated

cheers

Quantenschaum, Wow!! seems to me you should write that DP Median tuto!

Btw, we can still get some interesting results with DP SSBlur in post for skin. For this output:

we can get this just in post:

As reference, this is how it looks with Skin material:

Pitifully, the method is limited to 3D lights in v2018 since we don't have there DP Backlit node working with GI illumination due to, yes - SDK issues. More info about the method here:

https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...=1#post1391580

gar26lw, you are welcome!

Gerardo

i remember that SS Blur thing, but i never managed to set it up properly! :-P
    i'm a huge fan of the newer 'Principled BSDF' material and although there's less SS layers than for 'Skin' material, you can get very very close with the right maps/values. render times are also in the acceptable range. but one of the main things is: this character has 1 single surface/material/image set. compact! damn... i looove PBSDF :-)

i sometimes do illustrated 'docs' in the 'Lightwave3D Support Group' on facebook with the aim to be as simple and comprehensible as possible, so the noobest noob will get it. :-D would love to do a 'firefly' doccy!

and for dessert, more 'looky' version. best in 720p on YT. tried to counter compression with sharpened post:

cheers
    Last edited by Quantenschaum; 01-16-2019 at 09:56 AM.

Page 55 of 56 FirstFirst ... 54553545556 LastLast