Thread: Using a SLR camera setting in Lightwave

Using a SLR camera setting in Lightwave

I am trying to (as accurately as I can) use my Canon Xli lens setting in Lightwave.

Basicly I took a pic of my living room with my camera and I created the basic shape of my living room in lightwave. I want my LW camera to match my real world camera.

I know all my camera settings:

Lens
    Focal Length & Maximum Aperture
    18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6

Diagonal Angle of View
    75° 20' - 27° 50'

Closest Focusing Distance
    0.28m / 0.92 ft. to infinity

Filter Size
    58mm
    Max. Diameter x Length, Weight
    2.7" x 2.6", 6.07oz. / 69mm x 66.2mm, 190g

But im not 100% on how to apply those settings into LW camera settings.

Newbie Member
    I don't know the answer to your question, really, but you may have to take into account the 1.6x "crop factor" when you enter your lens information.

If you're using version 9, the Canon 18-55 lens is available. Open your camera properties, and up at the top, where it says "Classic Camera," change it to "Real Lens Camera." In the window that will pop up there will be 3 pull-down menus, so pick Canon SLR, then Digital Rebel XT, and EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6. Then enter the focal length you used at the top. I haven't played around with it all that much so I can't tell you how well or poorly it will match, but I know it's there.

The 1.6 multiplication is because the CCD in the XTi is smaller than a 35mm camera, so an 18mm focal length on the digital XTi is roughly equivalent to about a 28mm lens on a 35mm film SLR. Just note what focal length you use on the camera and don't multiply it, because the Real Lens Camera (with the "Digital Rebel XT" setting on) *should* adjust it for you, but I'm not positive on that. Like I said I haven't played with it that much.

The focal distance stuff you'll have to enter into the Stereo/DOF tab in the camera properties. Note your focal distance and your F-stop when you take your picture. I would also take note of the camera height, and possibly try to get some distances from corners and do a little geometry, so you can position the virtual camera accurately. That is, if you want to match it up really well. Now with the filter, are you talking about a UV filter? That I don't think you would need to do anything with that.

From there you'll just have to model your living room, and try and duplicate the lighting. I'm sure it'll take a lot of tweaking to get it looking just right. Good luck!

I dont have the "real lense camera" option is that in 9.2?

Well I guess it is only in 9.2, but 9.2 is a free upgrade if you have version 9. Go to register.newtek.com, log in and go to "my downloads". It'll be there.