Thread: Simple yet infuriating bend question

Simple yet infuriating bend question

I'm trying to bend a subD plane in the Y-axis so it bends into a perfect cylinder, ideally in Layout, and ideally from the center of the plane.

I first tried the Bend tool in Modeler with morph targets, but I run into the dreaded linear morph.

Then tried the Deform: Bend tool in Layout, but it doesn't want to bend symmetrically, just from one side (or wherever I place the Base null).

Even tried Curve Conform in Layout, no luck

I'm probably overthinking this, but if someone can suggest a simple way to create a bend from the center of a plane, I am grateful.

pdeb

Can you not just create a cylinder and cut out some polies or is there another reason why you want a plane bent?
    visual effect/mograph artist
    Cinema 4D | Lightwave v9.6 | modo 401 | Maestro 2 | Kray 1.7
    MacBook Pro C2D 3 GB

Forgot to mention...

I forgot to mention that I need to animate the plane to an enclosed cylinder, then back and forth. Ideally, morph targets would be great, but the linear nature of morph mixer doesn't give me the radial move I need.

thanks, pdeb

Is there not a constrain option for bend that might do this. I need to do something similar to make a matching piece of hardware blend with a cyclinder rather than combine.

Not certain what you mean, talkfist

I don't see a constrain option for the Layout version of Deform: Bend, which ideally would be the best way to animate this type of bend; unfortunately it won't bend from the center of the plane on both sides.

thanks, pdeb

I don't know if it would work or not.... Work backwards. Take the cylindar, unweld an edge, then unbend it enough to where it's open enough to where you can flatten it out into a plane. You'll probably have to do that just by rotating a group or section at a time to open it enough. Then make it a morph target.
    Christopher Tackett
    www.loadedbrush.com

This can be done with SplineControl, look for it under Object Properties/deform tab/add displacement
    Though I have to admit I've forgotten how to use it - maybe you need a spline in the model?
    Confirmed -
    No Weapons of Mass Destruction
    or links to Al Queda or 9/11. (Sep. 2003)

You can do it with the Bend deformer in layout it's really easy, here's a quick example. Just select null 2 and 3 and move them in the Y axis and the plane will bend from the center.
    Attached Files Attached Files

couldn't open file

thanks for your help Ztreem, unfortunately I'm on an older (8) version of LW, so I couldn't open your scene file.

Any chance you could re-send as L[8], or failing that explain your process (why three nulls?)

thanks so much, pdeb

OK, I resaved the scene so it should work with LW 8, I don't have it installed on my computer so I can't test if it works.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Works great!

Thanks Ztreem, I didn't think to compound Bends, nice work! pdeb

You're welcome, glad I could help.

Sweet

I linked the right handle to the left handle via expressions, then parenting everything to a masterNull, and voila! Exactly what I was looking for. Thx again to everyone