Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keanu Reeves in good film shock...`

May the sauce be with you starbase1's Avatar

Keanu Reeves in good film shock...`

I finally got around to seeing "Through a scanner darkly", and I thought it was absolutely brilliant - and extremely faithful to the book, right down the the dedication at the end.

I also thought the rotoscoping worked VERY well, particularly the scramble suit.

Wonderful to see someone finally doing PK Dick properly rather that trying to turn it into standard hollywood action mulch.

Nick
    Faith is the opposite of Intelligence.

Touched by his noodley appendage!
    My Lightwave Graphics & Downloads!!!

Ok, Keanu Reeves has been in a lot of good movies. I mean, lets not forget Bill and Teds excellent adventure and Bill and Teds Bogus Journey.

Did it really pick up after the first 15 minutes? Cause that's as far as I got. The "plot" was putting me to sleep and the "animation" was making me nauseous.

Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance.
    Friends come and go, but enemies accumulate.

Well, I can understand that the rotoscoping would not be to everyone's taste, and it is also one of PKD's blackest works. (And one of my very favourite books).

Basically you are watching the Reeves character (Bob Arctor / Fred) go completely schizophrenic and break down. And the deeper stuff going on is only made clear at the very end.

Nick

I just watched this a couple of days ago. Great film, it reminds me of my housemate and his friends though, they're here right now getting a pissed and stoned as they possibly can. Prety distrespectful on a Sunday night when my partner and I have to work in the morning, but the guy's a drug f*cked idiot so what can I say. Pity rental propertys are scarse around here at the moment or I would have been out of here months aso (end rant)
    Good film anyway, I thought it was very clever.

loved how delightfully bleak it is in the end. very satisfyingly sad. i thought keanu was good in the matrix and the gift as well (who new katie holmes had such a rack!).

jin

After doing an extensive search, I found a link to a trailer of the movie. It has a different look.
    http://pdl.warnerbros.com/wip/us/med...lr2_qt_500.mov

Quote Originally Posted by starbase1
    Well, I can understand that the rotoscoping would not be to everyone's taste, and it is also one of PKD's blackest works. (And one of my very favourite books).

The blackest work of someone who specializes in black work. Sounds delightful.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger
    Ok, Keanu Reeves has been in a lot of good movies. I mean, lets not forget Bill and Teds excellent adventure and Bill and Teds Bogus Journey.
    Hmmm... and there was this other film he did, a sci-fi one. Quite good I recall. Martial arts and stuff with a cuperpunk story. Now if only I could remember what it was called.

"the Matrix?"

nah - oh, that's it: JOHNNY MNEMONIC!

just kidding. JM is horrible and made me want to scoop out my eyes. But you can't mention Keanu without mentioning ******* POINT BREAK!

Dan Sollis : Independent CGI Designer & compositor
    Digital Distortion : Post Production for Film and Television
    http://www.digitaldistortion.net

http://www.londonlightwave.org.uk/

I liked Constantine pretty well. I think the only movies of his I have DISLIKED were the Matrix sequels. You know, I hear he's actually a pretty cool dude. On one of his movies (may have been one of the Matrixes), he bought the special effects crew motorcycles. No sh*t.

Quote Originally Posted by dsol
    But you can't mention Keanu without mentioning ******* POINT BREAK!

Yep. The problem was that Keanu's brilliant portrayal of a surfer cop was totally overshadowed by the stellar performance of Gary Busy..... :P

Actually, the movie wasn't that bad. I enjoyed it somewhat.

And I liked all the Matrix films, though they f'd up the ending.
    Christopher Tackett
    www.loadedbrush.com

Reeves is a generous dude and a good actor after some instruction/directing.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

I had a suit jacket made of that material back in the 60's ...
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I really think KR is pretty awful in all his other films.

He tends to stand around with no particular expression, apart from occasionally looking somewhat confused... With scanner, that's what the role required.

Oh, and I also think all 3 matrix films were complete tosh. Occasionally stylish tosh, but absolute, silly, inconsistent, plot holes the size of a planet, makes Noddy goes to toytown look like Nobel prize winning literature, tosh.

Nick

I like Keanu. He gets a bad rap for being a bunk actor but he's been in a lot of good movies.

As I've mentioned, both Bill and Ted movies are great.
    The first Matrix.
    Parenthood.
    The Devil's advocate.
    Speed.
    Dracula(although his accent was pretty bad).
    Point Break.
    A walk in the clouds(chick flik though)
    The Replacements.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast