Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Studio has been released...all we need now is a linux LW...hint hint

Ubuntu Studio has been released...all we need now is a linux LW...hint hint

For those who like to try Linux or for the linux folks who didn't know yet, Ubuntu Studio has been released.

http://www.ubustu.com/
    I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious. - Albert Einstein
    visit my company site : House of Secrets
    visit my personal site : svenneve.com

Sounds like its just a linux distro that comes with a bunch of Open source graphics/audio tools by default (which most do not). Which isn't bad, but if you already run linux, there's probably not much this distro offers that you can't already do on your own My guess is its aimed at newcomers to linux who are in the CG/Audio side of things.
    Dual Opteron 246 | 4GB OCZ Memory | Geforce GTX 260 (181.22) | Tyan Thunder K8WE | Windows XP X64

Nothing ado about much Exception's Avatar
    I'm curious as to why they didn't include any of the fancy new UI's that are mapped on a cube and allow you to morph windows and such.

any idea?
    Any experience with those? I thought there were two different ones... which one is the most useful?

I'm here for the cake John the Geek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Oddity
    For those who like to try Linux or for the linux folks who didn't know yet, Ubuntu Studio has been released.

http://www.ubustu.com/
    Shouldn't you link to the official site too:
    http://www.ubuntustudio.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Exception
    I'm curious as to why they didn't include any of the fancy new UI's that are mapped on a cube and allow you to morph windows and such.

any idea?
    Any experience with those? I thought there were two different ones... which one is the most useful?
    You mean Beryl? I've yet to use it, so I haven't figured out what all the fuss is about yet. Maybe this weekend. Are there cubes and such?

Studio looks cool though. Nice and convenient like Ubuntu usually is. I'll give both an install this weekend. I still have a flavor of Ubuntu 6 in VM, so 7.04 has been in my eye anyway.

=)

Quote Originally Posted by Exception

any idea?
    Stability. They don't feel it's quite ready for primetime. I've played with it in OpenSuse a bit and it's kinda cool, but nothing to write home about. The cube basically allows you to run several desktops you can flip around on your screen with the drag of a mouse. Personally, I'm pretty OK with "minimize" and "maximize" on one desktop.

I was just messing around with Beryl last night and it is very customizable. Drivers aren't too smooth in Linux yet though...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mail.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	360.0 KB 
ID:	46388  
    "I don't have it... you want half my omelette?"

Beryl runs butter smooth here. Its fast, and a fair bit prettier and customizable than Vista's GUI. I like it for the most part. Its especially nice that you can use plugins and get even more functionality and effects out of it. Day to day use some effects get old, as you can imagine. But its so customizable that you can just switch all of that off if you start to hate it.

The cube is a good representation of what multiple desktops are in linux, and for the visual person I think it helps get the idea across. There are other methods to switching desktops rather than the cube, and I find those more practical and elegant :P The cube is just show-y. This multi desktop functionality has been a part of almost every Linux Window manager since the dawn of time :P This is just a visual queue for the user more than anything else..

Beryl is fast, in my experience. Using mid range to low end systems it was pretty nice. A P4 2.8GHz with an ATI Radeon X300 can handle it fairly well. No slow frame rates or anything. Its especially noticeable after trying out vista for a few hours and comparing... :P

In the end, I feel that most of Beryl's features would get disabled on a computer I would use. I would keep the transparancy stuff, and the nice shadows I think, but most of it would be disabled or sped up.
    Dual Opteron 246 | 4GB OCZ Memory | Geforce GTX 260 (181.22) | Tyan Thunder K8WE | Windows XP X64

Is there something similar to beryl for windows?

Quote Originally Posted by ivanze
    Is there something similar to beryl for windows?
    Well yeah, sort of. Not really usable yet, but the preview looks pretty cool (scroll down a bit):
    http://toyd.org/?id=2

Though the released version doesn't work as well as in the video.

Windowblinds will let you get some of the cool effects such as transparency and shiny stuff, but it won't let you flip your desktop around.

Here is a quicky look at Gnome + Beryl (an MP4, so hopefully you can see it!):

http://www.bigpony.com/myscreenvid1out.mp4

I'm using Arch Linux. My machine is a DV8000 laptop, Centrino Dual, GeForce 7400 Go, 2GB RAM etc. This desktop is SMOOTH. The screencpature studders a bit, so don't hold that against Beryl.

What's seen in the video is a DVD playing on the "cube", tranparent cube, rotating the cube, etc. Beryl has TONs of effects. I've heard Beryl is dying and rolling back into Compiz (the other 3D window manager thingy).

Whether you choose to believe it or not, and whether you personally want to use it or not, Linux is HERE. Is it useable, fast, configurable and needs to be supported as a valid venue for software delivery. I'm fully swtiched except for Lightwave -- but that's not holding me back any longer. I am moving to it for everything except a few Windows games I play with my son.

(BTW: If you're curious about something and you want more screenies, let me know.)
    Last edited by mrunion; 05-18-2007 at 07:31 AM.
    Thanx,
    Matt

(I will come back to LightWave3D when the support Linux. Linux isn't going anywhere, guys. Time to accept it!)

Nothing ado about much Exception's Avatar
    Hmm beryl? I was referring to XGL versus AIGLX.
    Seems Beryl is an XGL variant.

Here's an advanced XGL desktop I was referring to.
    This video is quite old so I was hoping this would be reasonably progressed since then.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYsxaMyFV2Y

BTw windowblinds eats all your resources.

@Exception: Yeah, that about sums it up. I'd love to know what screencapture software he used! That was cool! Mine drops frames (poor 1.6Ghz laptop just can't handle all the stuff flying about!)
    Thanx,
    Matt

(I will come back to LightWave3D when the support Linux. Linux isn't going anywhere, guys. Time to accept it!)

Yup Beryl's cool, took a couple of hours to set up in Fedora 6. It is very unstable and uses heck of lot of memory I got 2GB. Forgotten how much it used up just know it was a lot. Well it does crush a lot, and it does rollback, but not to compiz (for me anyway).It rolls back to the kde window manager or Gnome window manager. There's a quick control to tone things down, that seems to work to smooth things out. It also doesn't like fire fox, it's random but when you open up an extra tab, firefox goes pitch black.. .

But it looks way better than Vista. It did permanently shut down my room mate boasting over vista's new look

And for some strange reason it never seems to crash when I'm showing it of.

Been meaning to try it on different distributions to see if it works better, but if they iron things out, it's a keeper.
    Last edited by darkChief; 05-18-2007 at 11:31 AM.

No problems here on Ubuntu 7.04 & Beryl, functionality wise it seems perfect, can't say the same for Vista
    Brent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast