Thread: Melting or disintegrating mesh ?

Melting or disintegrating mesh ?

Hi, im trying to make my model disintegrate and reveal a different version behind it.

Im workin on my reel and i felt it would look alot more impressive if instead of a simple fade in transition between a clay render and the final textured version. if the clay verion was to disintegrate and break away and fall to to floor leaving the fully textured version in all its glory sorta speak.

im not really sure how u would do this though. So i thought id post for some hints on how to get started. Would i have the Textured version and the clay version both in the same scene and make the textured version 1% small and hide it within the clay version then as the clay model disintegrate the textured one would become visible ??

or should it be done differently and then composited ?

Look forward to some of ur ideas on how to tackle this

Cheers
    3D Animator ....... Well i try !

Donno if it still works in 9, but you could use C4 to break you object into pieces and make it explode
    http://www2.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~goetsch/C4/

other then that, It all depends on the look you want I suppose. But compositing is always a good idea for more control over the final look. That way you also wouldn't have to scale the textured version.
    Last edited by toonafish; 05-16-2007 at 12:57 PM.

The object dissolve feature with opposite envelopes will get you the transition between the two I would think. You'll find that in the object properties in the render tab. Just time your breakaway with the object dissolves and that should do it.

http://www.3dink.com/test.htm - check out the melting test...
    clothfx and collision spheres fxlinked to particles, using start by event to trigger the melt...

If you want it to distruct you can always try hardbody dynamics and crush it with a collision hull.