Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: C++ SDK - When?

Newbie Member

C++ SDK - When?

Hello,

I bought v8 with a free upgrade to v9 because I was told there may be a C++ SDK coming in the v9 cycle. Thatīs the only reason why I have bought a LW license actually because I thought there may be a market for my plugin which is currently c4d only.

Now there is already 9.2 and thereīs still no C++ SDK in sight. So my question is, will there be a C++ SDK in the v9 cycle or not? I have loads of stuff to port to LW but I canīt wait for ages.

Donīt wanna meet trouble halfways but if I donīt even see a chance to get a C++ SDK Iīll be selling my lisense and must look out for another application offering support for sensibly porting my stuff, which would be a shame because I think LW is a great application.

And no I donīt wanna use old-aged wrappers nor do I have time to write my own. I would simply like to know if there will be support for a C++ SDK in the near future (next upgrade the latest) or not.

If this is not to be talked about publically I would love to get an according email with information about this.

Thank you
    Best
    Katachi

This forum is not (unfortunately) the right place to get answers from NT (to be honest, I'm not sure if it's even read by NT - I mean whole, not just randomly some interesting threads).
    If you want official reply for your question, try to email NT directly. I'm affraid that here you'll hear just other users.

PS: IF you'll finaly recieve a reply, don't forget to share with us At least I'm very courious about this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Katachi
    Hello,

I bought v8 with a free upgrade to v9 because I was told there may be a C++ SDK coming in the v9 cycle. Thatīs the only reason why I have bought a LW license actually because I thought there may be a market for my plugin which is currently c4d only.
    C++ SDK has never been mentioned on any public forum, and has never been mentioned officially by any members of NT as being planned in the future or on the 8.x or 9.x. development period..

Whoever 'told you' that there maybe one, this is who you should take it up with, otherwise the SDK is written and supported via C. And if you didn't take a look at the C/SDK or want to increase your sales, it may be up to you to either make a C++ wrapper or use C instead. I wouldn't hold my breath for a new C++ SDK.

There are others third parties such as Lightwolf, who started there own C++ Wrapper of the SDK, perhaps you could offer to help on that project.

What's the big deal about needing a C++ sdk? I've written plugins with C++ without needing a wrapper, it's not a big deal.
    LightWave3D training, assets, news and discussion at www.liberty3d.com
    My opinions are my own and do not represent the opinions of any other entity, Liberty3D is not officially endorsed by NewTek.

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBull
    There are others third parties such as Lightwolf, who started there own C++ Wrapper of the SDK, perhaps you could offer to help on that project.
    You're welcome to join in. Just mail me at michael.wolf(at)infinimap.com for details on how to join in.

Cheers,
    Mike

Lightwolf> I didn't know that! Your da man!

Quote Originally Posted by Jabba
    Lightwolf> I didn't know that! Your da man!
    Lol... Well, I'm extending the offer to anybody who has C++ skills and would like to join in.
    I'm just keeping it closed now because I don't see it fit for a general release, but it will be open source.

Cheers,
    Mike

P.S. I've attached a section of the Doxygen documented class hierarchy which shows the plugin classes currently covered. However, adding new ones is fairly quick to do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	inherit__graph__52.png 
Views:	224 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	46209  

Ach, Mein thirsten! Anti-Distinctly's Avatar
    Hi guys, I don't wish to hijack this thread, but could someone give me an explanation of what exactly a wrapper allows yout to do? Its probably a really daft question.
    Personally, I really dont like coding in C. Without object orientation I feel like I'm just making a mess.
    "Oww! Owwwwwww! They're defending themselves somehow" - Homer J. Simpson

www.lukewhitehorn.com
    www.euriskostudios.com

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Distinctly
    Hi guys, I don't wish to hijack this thread, but could someone give me an explanation of what exactly a wrapper allows yout to do? Its probably a really daft question.
    Personally, I really dont like coding in C. Without object orientation I feel like I'm just making a mess.
    Basically (talking about my wrapper, lwpp) - bring back the object orientation that is somehow in the LW SDK anyhow but implement it in a way that is native to the programming language used: C++ in this case.
    So, all the globals and the plugins are classes. You can extend and combine them (i.e. a XPanelShaderHandler is a ShaderHandler using an XPanel UI). It also allows me to extend the globals with some extra functionality (note in the class diagram that lwpp:ImageUtil is also a lwpp::PopUpCallBack, used to display a list of image file formats as a pop-up in an XPanel).
    Also, since the classes contain skeleteon code (usually virtual functions that can be, but don't _have_ to be replaced by the user) there is less code to write to get a plugin going.

Mind you, there is still plenty of stuff I'd like to add... but I only add things that I directly need at the moment.

Cheers,
    Mike

Ach, Mein thirsten! Anti-Distinctly's Avatar
    Sounds good. Is it available to download in its current state of functionality?
    "Oww! Owwwwwww! They're defending themselves somehow" - Homer J. Simpson

www.lukewhitehorn.com
    www.euriskostudios.com

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Distinctly
    Sounds good. Is it available to download in its current state of functionality?
    Not publicly.
    However, mail me ( michael.wolf(at)infinimap(dot)com ) and set up an account on our forum: http://forums.infinimap.com .
    I'll then upgrade your account to get to the closed lwpp section.

I'm just not offering it for public download because I don't see it as being fit for a wide release. Having said that, any help in changing that is highly appreciated

Cheers,
    Mike

Newbie Member
    Hi,

thank you first of all for the answers. I will try to contact NewTek directly via email (kind of strange not even 1 Newtek guy is browsing this forum..)

@Lightwolf: This is good news. Iīll be contacting you in the next few days. Thank you! very appreciated.

@jameswillmot: what do you mean? Do you mean you used the C SDK in your C++ plugins, so only working with the subset? That wouldnīt allow you to really work in OOP would it?

@jameswillmot: what do you mean? Do you mean you used the C SDK in your C++ plugins, so only working with the subset? That wouldnīt allow you to really work in OOP would it?
    Well, it still allows you to work in an OO way... but you'd not use the OO reletaed features of C++ as far as the SDK is concerned.
    I mean, after all, OO is a way of thinking, not a language feature. The language just makes it easier

Cheers,
    Mike

TrueArt Support
    @jameswillmot: what do you mean? Do you mean you used the C SDK in your C++ plugins, so only working with the subset?
    Of course, the all LightWave's professional 3rd party developers work this way.. Write plug-ins in C++.. It would be nightmare writing 1 milion line of code with ANSI C..
    LightWave Plugins
    Global Materials for LightWave 2019
    Custom plugin writing. Request a quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    It would be nightmare writing 1 milion line of code with ANSI C..
    Like newtek or luxology, right?

Cheers,
    Mike

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast