Thread: Recommendation on Character Rigging tutorials

Newbie Member

Recommendation on Character Rigging tutorials

Hello all.

I need some help and I will try not to ramble on in this post.

I'm a former Studio Max user that has been using Lightwave for the past 3 or so months.

The client I am working with has requested a human character and of course I have said yes. I have created a "genera-human" and have been trying to create a fully functional IK rig but I have been having problems. I have been using various tutorials in books and online but I seem to only get so far before things fall apart.

I'm basically looking for a profesional tutorial that goes through each step in creating a bones system, sets joint limits, creates weight maps, null objects and whatever else I might have missed. The works. I realize that every character is different and there are various ways to do the same thing.

I'm also not sure what else the client has in mind for this character which is why I need it to have a full range of motion and to be *easily* animatable.

Thanks for all your help.

-Steve

Hey Steve,
    Id recommend this video I created for KURV. Its over 10 hrs of material and received an 8 out of 10 rating in 3d world magazine.
    http://www.kurvstudios.com/lightwave/rigging.php

Heres a demonstration of the rig.
    http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/exam...r_rig_demo.zip

Newbie Member
    Thanks.

That's exactly what I was looking for.

-Steve

Newbie Member
    Larry (SplineGod),

How much different is this Kurv update from your own Character Series Rigging disc for LW 7.5?

I'm glad I read this, because in my searching for LW material somehow I missed this.
    I just added "LightWave 3D 9 Rigging: The Definitive Guide by Larry Shultz" to my high-priority must-have list.
    I just have a question though, if I may: Is that video in DVD movie format, or computer video format like .mov or .avi?
    Either way, 70 bucks, I am sooo there!
    no comment

This is the beginning of an update to my current rigging material (most of which is still applicable to LW9 btw...)
    This part covers strictly the aspect of rigging to make a character animatable.
    Vol2 will cover deformations.
    The rigging part of my course covers everything including IKBoost and the Bone Tools.
    The DVD comes with movies you view on your computer mainly because you probably wouldnt be able to read the text on a TV set.