Thread: LW+modo workflow

LW+modo workflow

Is there anybody that use LW+modo for LWmodel and modo 3d UVpaint ?
    I'd like to know limitations and problems that can occur, and sure advantages

modo?.... ..don't mention dodo! ....[sharp intake of breath]
    ....creeps away and hides before the bombs land!
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

We use both LW and MODO at the studio and I think they seem to complement each other rather well. I model mostly in LW and use lately a lot the photo paint tool in MODO to paint the color pass, than go back to LW to final tweak rest of the surface layers. Our lead modeling guy is using about 85% MODO for modeling as well for converting and tweaking models from other apps to LW.

///

Are we there yet ?
    The two work very well together, I found the combination very benifitial.

The only things that will probably give you trouble are :
    Edge Weighting - This is still a problem between most of the major apps. Being somewhat old fashioned I generally stick to adding extra edgeloops for creating sharper edges, as it helps with transfer between all sorts of apps.
    Ngons - Whereas normal Sub-D modelling works very well between the two apps, if you use Ngons in Modo you will need to convert to Catmal Clark surfaces in LW, rather than the older Sub-D surfaces, and I personally find CC surfaces in LW half baked and cause more problems than they solve. Advice would be to stick to quads in Modo and then you wont have a problem in LW.

Other than that, UV maps, weight maps, texture maps and other geometry transfer just fine.

Download the evaluation and give it a try in your pipeline.

modo can save out to .lwo so therefore maintains the uv maps, and since the paint tools require a uv map to work, you can be sure it will copy over to lightwave. The material names all come across so if you need to reapply an image, its easy to do.

The only other 'problem' is when you use ngons, but its a really quick fix i.e. pressing tab then tab again in modeler to convert the CC algorithm method then save it back out.

I've used this work flow quite a few times and haven't had problems.

EDIT: Yog just beat me.

Cheers

thanks for answers What about LW 9.2 and modo 203 ? Still ok ?

Yup - and even better with LW's cool new features.