Thread: Resizing CG fonts

Resizing CG fonts

Is there anyway to grab serveral lines of text in the CG editor and resize them all at once? Intuitively I want to hold down the Shift key and do a multiple select - but no such thing.

Also, when typing out new characters it would sure be nice to assign a size to the font before typing it out. I keep looking for a font size window and can't find one. Yes, I looked through the manual, but can't find anything there either. You can resize a line of text after the fact by dragging handles but it isn't too precise. I would think that we should be able to type out the correct size form the git go.

I must be missing something. As much as I like SE, the CG portion of the program is leaving me a little flat.

TC User Group
    If you select all the lines, Ctrl-a, you can drag them to the size you want but now you need to readjust the positioning.

Ivan

Toaster Oven
    Check the control tree for sizing settings. Each line is listed seperatly and when you expand it you will all sorts of adjustments.

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar
    This is the way the CG is designed.

There aren't global controls for things such as font, tracking, leading, etc., since all these features are animatable, and therefore separate branches of the control tree.

The thing to remember is that once you set these characteristics for your first line, all the future lines will keep these settings till you change them.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

Ok, so Control A works as advertised. Sure enough you can select all the lines on the screen - as well as any colored graphic elements like rectangle shapes and such. But what if I want to select just line 1, line 3 and line 5 and resize them together? And why can't I resize to a specific point size?

I know I can pick my line out of the Control Tree on the left and resize to 90%, for example, but that's 90% of what?

Right now I'm pulling my hair out trying to create a title at the top of the page that is all caps but the 1st letter of each word is a larger cap size. I have had to create individual objects for each of the large 1st letter caps and shooch and prod them into place and they never look like they line up right. Picking them is a nightmare, I always wind up picking the letters adjacent or the color background rectangle instead.

At the very least, I should be able to click on the list on the left in the Control Tree to make each element or line active that way. But I've tried every key combo to no avail. (maybe I've missed one)

I may be a newbie to SE but I'm not a newbie to video production - been doing this for 30 years. My impression of the CG in SE is that it is more like a paint program than a character generator. Either I'm missing something horribly simple in the docs or this a very weak area of SE.

Well, I have do have to eat some words here. I am now able to hold down the Control key and select lines individually. Hooray! Not sure why it wasn't working before. And it wasn't cockpit error - I've been futzing with this for days.

Another concern though...thankfully you are able to select a line of text and use the arrow keys to scooch it up/down, side to side, however the output screen doesn't immediately update the change. What's up with that?

Yes you have to bump the timeline a frame for it to update. Don't know why it is that way but that's the way it is for now.
    Dynamic Video Productions
    Mount Laurel NJ

Toaster Oven
    NOt sure about this, but when moving video you have x,y coordinates - are these avail for the CG as well? Look in the position section of the cg in control tree. If so, I would think you could select a "line" & just enter the x/y for precise alignment.
    might be a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by lcress
    Well, I have do have to eat some words here. I am now able to hold down the Control key and select lines individually. Hooray! Not sure why it wasn't working before.
    I've noticed that if you changed the text size, it's much harder to select by dragging the Select Arrow or the Text Cursor over the line of text. It seems like the bounding box or text line is still at the old full font size, not where it appears now. When I start to lose it, or reach for the hammer, I un-size the font temporarily, select easily, move it or retype it, and then resize it again.
    If there is a more elegant way, I'm open to it. Is there a font size selector anywhere in the control tree or tabs?
    Adam Lightplay
    310-779-6230
    [email protected]

"The future's so bright, I think it's unterminated".

SE 1.0 CG is a lot of fun for me. Use 2-3-X Title Page.cg on different layers lined up with each other. Use the ForceRender effect if needed for playback, but certainly use the correct preview monitor for the type of project.

Also, I don't save. You MUST if your going to do any cloning in the project, as just copy and paste without saving, will not have any control tree attributes, and just defaults.

HaveFun
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

Digitizing video since 1984
    HyMPG Designer since 1997
    [email protected]