Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IN SEARCH of HUMANS: my little project

Talking IN SEARCH of HUMANS: my little project

Hi all.

Having learned on Lightwave from the Video Toaster 4000 days, I'm constantly inspired by the cabilities of this little app
    I often visit these forums (and others like it) to admire everyone's work. Not content to stay a passive observer forever, I've decided to put my filmschool training to good use, and actually start making something.

I'm setting out to create an independent TV show -- short form, serialized, and distributed online. (I suppose you can't really call it a TV show at all, but because of certain gadgets coming onto the market recently, I'm hoping anything by anyone can be watched on your TV soon) In any case, it's going to be an adventurous sci-fi comedy, using full CG characters, and set in a photo-realistic environment . I know -- sounds ambitous. But I wouldn't have it any other way.

My goal with this thing? To put Hollywood to shame. I want to do it cheaper, more efficient, and up to at least the same quality. And I think this is possible with today's software and hardware, along with the ability to leverage the talents of other independant artists out there. Thank god for the internet! Lets hope those tubes aren't clogged anytime soon.

I've recently finished a teaser. I'll call it "in beta" since there are a few things that may change. Done in Lightwave and After Effects.

I've also posted a little making-of for anyone interested. You can check it out at the blog homepage. I'll be posting more stuff on my little journey as I go along.

Hope you'll check it out, and would love to hear any reactions (negative or positive).

http://www.insearchofhumans.com/blog...trailer-is-up/

Cheers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Entry.jpg 
Views:	937 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	45045  

Looking pretty professional so far!
    The camerawork goes a long way to selling the visuals, which are great on their own anyway..
    I look forward to seeing more..more..more!

Nice work! I really like the descent to earth and the cloud layers are superb. Any insight on the techniques you used in Lightwave?
    Art and photography Flickr site
    Animation, facial rigging, modelling ArtStation
    Assorted animations Robert Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by bobakabob
    Any insight on the techniques you used in Lightwave?
    You can check out the little screencapture session where I walk through one of the shots.

http://www.insearchofhumans.com/blog...1-teaser-shot/

Looking good, Wes! It's great to see ambitious talented people working on personal projects. I hope you won't get a job offer anytime soon, cause I'd really like to see more of this!

The music is great and at Hollywood level. Can you tell a bit more about the music?

Good luck and I hope to see more soon.

And thanks for the "Making of" movie. Well done.

The music.

Weeeeelllllll.... there's a reason it's sounds like hollywood. It is.

Sadly... when I mention it's beta, the music is the one thing that will have to change. Which is too bad, because I think it works really well. It's from an existing movie soundtrack -- pieces of 2 movie scores actually. Any soundtrack-buffs out there know which two movies?

Unless I can get the rights to use this music, it'll have to be replaced at some point.

I have -- officially-- used movie music before in a student production, but it was something of an ordeal to get the rights. It was a lot of paper work and dead-ends, only to get festival and non-commercial rights.

I'm toying around with getting some form of rights to lesser known classical works and incorporating that style of music into the show. I've got one in particular I'm using for the full trailer I'm working on now. We'll see how it works out.

I LOVE big, orchestral music and I'm determined to use it. However, I think it will probably be the biggest challenge on the whole project. How do you get an orchestra sound without the expensive orchestra? But even if I have to learn how to play the violin myself, I guarantee you we're gonna hear some non-synthesized strings in there!

Amused
    The video played as a series of still images for me, is that right?

Wes,

Enjoyed the Making Of... thanks for sharing your compositing techniques in Lightwave. The fog works a treat in this shot. You should definitely go for original music... there must be a soundtrack composer out there who'd want to collaborate on this.
    Art and photography Flickr site
    Animation, facial rigging, modelling ArtStation
    Assorted animations Robert Ireland

oh my... a "Making of..." the entry shot would be nice...

That Earth image looks familiar... Apollo?
    -Jack
    VFX Modeler / Animator / ex-Foundry worker (FI) / ex-B5: Itf Developer (Sierra)
    Home Portal

Quote Originally Posted by wesball
    The music.

Weeeeelllllll.... there's a reason it's sounds like hollywood. It is.

Sadly... when I mention it's beta, the music is the one thing that will have to change. Which is too bad, because I think it works really well. It's from an existing movie soundtrack -- pieces of 2 movie scores actually. Any soundtrack-buffs out there know which two movies?
    One sounded like Close Encounters, but I'm not sure about the other one. E.T. maybe?

GORGEOUS, otherwise. Nice angles on the entry shots, beautiful smoke effects.

The space pan was a little long, if only because the starfield seems so, well, flat. I'm not looking for Star Trek stars that pass between the ship and the camera; it could just be the low resolution of the movie render, but the stars seem kind of grey and uninteresting until the UFO comes into view.

If the earth in the first shot is rendered, I'd be very interested to get a breakdown of how you did it, especially the clouds.
    8x2.8 Mac Pro, 8 GB RAM, Radeon 2600XT, Mac OS X 10.5.6 (previously: G5 Quad)
    Caution: tech-savvy artist in full-on geek mode. May obsess over technical challenges until solved.

Quote Originally Posted by wesball
    ... the music is the one thing that will have to change. Which is too bad, because I think it works really well.
    Yes, that sucks. The music fits perfectly.

How do you get an orchestra sound without the expensive orchestra?
    A sequencer (like Cubase), a sampler and good sample CD's. If you're not able to produce the music yourself you should find a composer who's willing to collaborate, like Bobakabob mentioned.

To put Hollywood to shame.

Don't you bother. 90% of all Hollywood productions are already a shame. No need to go any further.

I want to do it cheaper, more efficient, and up to at least the same quality.

What kind of a wired approach is this? Are you a student who desperately wants to get into business? Making it cheaper will get you a job once or twice, but will lower marketprices in general with the same client expectations. So in the end you are just making the business harder for everybody, yourself included. Because one day the china man will be even cheaper and pushing you out of business. Can't you guys just think around the next corner about the consequences of your crusade?

Geez Thomas. He's only talking about the production. What's wrong with producing Hollywood level work for a fraction of a Hollywood budget?

Now Wesball, be sure to ask an unreasonable amount of cash when you sell your work, so you keep us all in business.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas M.
    To put Hollywood to shame.
    Don't you bother. 90% of all Hollywood productions are already a shame. No need to go any further.
    I wouldn't sell Hollywood so short. Their quality is nothing to balk at. It's usually better than anything else out there ... foreign or independent. If you're talking about story, then I'd agree with you. But in terms of quality of production, Hollywood still sets the bar.

I want to do it cheaper, more efficient, and up to at least the same quality.

What kind of a wired approach is this? Are you a student who desperately wants to get into business?
    Actually I'm already in the business. I was a student about 4 years ago, which is where I made my calling-card short that won a bunch of awards, most notably a Student Academy Award. Yes - I've got a mini oscar sitting on my shelf collecting dust. This short opened the door to agents and managers and lawyers and all the excesses of the film biz.

My day job is doing freelance VFX and animation work for Film and TV.

About two years ago (I was around 23 or so), I sold a pitch to Warner Brothers for an original movie. It was a great experience whie it lasted. I worked with writers and various producers and executives. We developed the hell out of it for a year and half and the project went absolutely nowhere. It died a slow, agonizing death. So now, I've decided I don't need to go through that again. I don't need Hollywood. I will at some point, but not starting out. I think I can create a product, gather a loyal fanbase, and wait for Hollywood to come to the project. Then I'll be holding the cards, and I can tell them how its going to work.

Making it cheaper will get you a job once or twice, but will lower marketprices in general with the same client expectations. So in the end you are just making the business harder for everybody, yourself included. Because one day the china man will be even cheaper and pushing you out of business. Can't you guys just think around the next corner about the consequences of your crusade?
    Well.

I don't know how familiar you are with the business, but costs are drastically inflated. Things simply don't need to cost as much as they do... especially with cheap, advanced tools like Lightwave at our disposal. Producers and Studios make most of the money. Not the creators. Simple as that. So if we cut out the middle man, that means we can remove a big chunk of costs. And the creators can make the same amount they've been making... maybe more.

I don't think I'm hurting anyone's business. There will always be a financially viable place for talented artists. Period. The business models may have to change. We may have to wait for audiences to embrace alternatives to mainstream content, but I think the future is birght for talented people, working together on a project from the comfort of their own homes, not driven by silly release dates.

You're right, there may be consequences to my "crusade". But the web and broadband has opened up a new world to all of us, and I'm exctied to experiment with doing things a little differently.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast