Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: make spline patch

make spline patch

I find very boring/tedius to patch because each time you change spline you must re-patch and then remember or count patch division...
    I think that it is an old tool and NT could make a gift to me :
    It would be great to store in each spline ( for eg in part name ) its division number. So when running tool, spline patch could read for each spline its parameter ( as an option of course )

Anybody have a bevel tool for spline ? I have boats to do....

oooops, I mean a fillet tool....

Yeah, Spline pathes could be upgraded a notch or maybe just implement some NURBS surfaces instead because it's more powerful.

You can just patch your surface and then extend the edges and the use rounder on it to do fillets.

Sounds like you need EasySpline from Trueart.

http://www.trueart.eu/?URI=Products/Plug-Ins/EasySpline

It's an autopatcher which patches as you add splines. Very nice..
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

Dodgy is pointing to right tool for you, or you patch after you decide that SPLINES are properly designed and don't need tweaks . I've done it that way for years and no problem .
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/x TitanX(M) + 2x GTX 1080Ti + GTX 1080
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Thanks for answers .
    Easy spline looks great but I'd prefer a NT enhancement.

TrueArt Support
    Looks like you dont really need it if you can live without it a couple years more..

I really need NURBS, but I'll buy Rhino instead... It seems like LW will never support NURBS surfaces and I can't wait anymore.

I like rhino and its nurbs, but when exporting to .lwo resulting mesh especially between two surfaces is not satisfying.

I know, that's why I want NURBS support in LW so you can model in a NURBS app like Rhino and Animate and render in LW. Now you have to freeze it to a dense mesh with millions of polys and still can some edges show up bad. Cinema4D, 3D Studio Max and Maya loads NURBS without a prolem, feels bad that I have to switch from my favorite 3D app just because it doesn't do what the others do.

EasySpline IS Nurbs. Just LW-like.

If you have yet to try it, give it a go as the money you save might be your own.

Now, if those other apps do what you REALLY need, you've been wasting a lot of time. EasySpline helped to alleviate a bit of "feature-lust" in this regard.

LOL! NO, Easy spline is not NURBS... OK it's a kind of very limited NURBS. If it was possible to project curves on surfaces and trim it and fillet it then I would consider to buy it, but for now it's not good enough.
    For hardsurface modeling NURBS is great, for organic character work SubD's is great. Heaven would be to have a kind of hybrid.

Hope Sensei pops in to clarify.

However, you are correct in that the final output is Same ole LW SDS. And a hybrid is exactly what we have.

The new version of Rhino ought to have already been purchased by you, then, huh? Tell us how it is.

It's maybe NURBS curves in easysplines and then yes it's NURBS, but the whole point with NURBS modeling is that you can project curves on surfaces and the trim some parts away. SubD's is super good and fast but as fast as you want to make a hole in a surface without breaking it you get in trouble. If you freeze it it will be hard to do nice fillets on the edges, and if you want to keep it as SDS you have to do some tedious work to get the there. This is where NURBS shine. Try to make this surface with SDS or Easyspline under a minute in LW, goodluck!

I love LW and I wish I could do every thing in it, but it's not possible at the moment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NURBS.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	161.0 KB 
ID:	45101  

Yah, that can't be done with the easyspline system as I have tried.

I used Rhino when it was "free" long time ago. Yeah, NURBS are sexy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast