Thread: My project

My project

Hello all. I've tried modeling things on and off for years now. Even tried modeling an old sailing ship but gave it up. I stuck with just rendering pictures with lightwave but recently tried the modeling side again. So I tried my hand at the original Enterprise from Star Trek, the remastering of the original series got me back into it. All detail is modeled and the pic is a screen shot from modeler. The roomtest, which was rendered in layout, is how the windows should look after done. Had them on before but took them off, wanted more rounded edges.
    Now just need to find a few "how to's" showing how to cut detail in the hull like plating and texturing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Connie.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	238.8 KB 
ID:	44859   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RoomTest.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	44860  

Newbie Member
    Looks pretty good so far. Personally, if i'm modelling hull plating or panels, I either create the design I want with the pen tool, extrude it and use it to stencil the shape on the hull, then router or bevel (this method werx good on flat surfaces). For curved hulls I start the same, except, I core instead of stencil, then extrude the new panel (make sure you save a copy of the original on another layer), and boolean union them together after making the adjustments necessary to line up the two pieces. Probably a hundred other ways to do it but it werx fer moi.

Newbie Member
    O yeah, don't forget to merge the polys on the flat hull surface before you bevel or rout, otherwise you'll end up with a bunch of unwanted panels. Not an issue with the rounded hull surface.

Quote Originally Posted by D33P BLACK
    Looks pretty good so far. Personally, if i'm modelling hull plating or panels, I either create the design I want with the pen tool, extrude it and use it to stencil the shape on the hull, then router or bevel (this method werx good on flat surfaces). For curved hulls I start the same, except, I core instead of stencil, then extrude the new panel (make sure you save a copy of the original on another layer), and boolean union them together after making the adjustments necessary to line up the two pieces. Probably a hundred other ways to do it but it werx fer moi.
    Thanks for replying. Looks like I still have alot to learn I guess. When I stencil, lets say the windows into the curved secondary hull I get another polygon coming from a cornor of the window to the cornor of the poly I just stenciled. I attatched a picture. I dunno if there is a way to fix that problem or not. If not I am glad I saved the windowless version of the ship.

Name:	unwantedpoly.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	45031  

Newbie Member
    Can't really see what your pointing at, could you possibly post a larger close up of it? It kinda sounds like a normal occurence that appears after certain boolean actions. Normally you would just go in and clean it up manually, which is routine if you boolean a lot (like i do). I have seen other posts on here regarding poly errors occurring after boolean actions, it's just part of the process. Im sure there is a mathematical reason for it in the software, but i'm trying to be an artist ........

Also with that larger close up could you post a version in "flat shade" as well?
    Last edited by D33P BLACK; 04-09-2007 at 06:05 PM.

Sure can post a larger picture. As you can hopefully see after I used the stencil tool to make the window I get the line running from the circle to the bottom left cornor of the polygon.

Name:	unwantedpoly2.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	204.7 KB 
ID:	45033   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flatshade.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	113.1 KB 
ID:	45034  
    Last edited by EremiticWolf; 04-09-2007 at 06:22 PM.