Thread: Compositing Add On

Compositing Add On

I would like to see Newtek add compositing to speededit sometime later down the road. This would be one program that handles editing and FX combined to reduce encoding.

I should update my Avatar Verlon's Avatar
    amen to that....from the posts I've read, this would be a very welcome addition.
    Verlon Smith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4i3XnbEKBw&feature=plcp - shameless prommotion for my daughter's horror (by 4 year old standards) story.

Newbie Member
    Compositing is great. I'm not sure, however, if it's worth the R&D to get it up and running. There is a lot of compositing software out there.

(It would one-up the competition, though.)
    Tim Johnson
    Graff!c Jam
    Pleasant Grove, UT

You can do a lot of this with sub-projects, the "media agnositic" tracks within SE plus keyframable clip properties. I found that sub-projects can be CTRL-dragged to a Filebin and later used just like a clip in the same project in which it was created, or in a totally different project. (The sub-project shows up on disk as a project file. Its icon display in the Filebin at this point is not reflective of the comp but of one track in the comp - probably a simple fix.) About the only function I can think of that is missing are complex mask generation, and perhaps a way of merging or grouping a mask track and its effected clip track.

I recently duplicated a project in SpeedEDIT that had originally been done usin Avid Media Composer and Boris Red. In SE I was able to build my comps without leaving tghe SE environment due to the positioning, cropping and property key-framing available within SE itself. So it seems to me that, unless it is a really complex comp, SE can handle it already. Anything too complex for SE should probably be done in DFX+, AE or Boris anyway, beccause it probably requires tools that you don't want to burden SE with at the expense of SE's leaness and meaness.
    wmc
    -------