I originally posted this in the support forum because this one wasn't here! This is the better place for it, so perhaps one of the moderators could remove the duplicate from the other forum.

----------

IMHO, Timeline Ripple is only partialy implemented and needs to be fully implemented / fixed for SpeedEDIT to be considered as a professional tool. Here is how the timeline should function with "Timeline Ripple" enabled:

1. Currently, if I place the time cursor at the cut point between two clips on the timeline with the “Timeline Ripple” box checked, then double-click an asset in the Add Media pane, the selected clip is inserted and the remainder of the timeline ripples as expected. If the time cursor is as the cut point between the end of a clip and the start of an empty gap on the timeline, the clip from Add Media overwrites the timeline into the gap, and does not ripple the gap and clips following the gap as it should. In ripple mode, gaps should be treated as clips of video black with silient audio.

2. In “Timeline Ripple” mode, if I place the timeline cursor over the body of a clip (i.e. in the span between an inpoint and outpoint) then double-click media in the Add Media pane, the selected media overwrites the timeline starting at the time cursor position. What SHOULD happen is that SpeedEDIT should do a razor cut at the time cursor, insert the added media at that cut and ripple all the assets on the timeline beyond the newly created cut to accommodate the duration of the added clip. This would make the operation consistent with industry standard for insert editing and make the “Timeline Ripple” truly useful and easy to understand since it would do exactly the same thing regardless of whether or not the time cursor was at a cut point or not.

3. In “Timeline Ripple” mode, if I drag and drop an asset TO the timeline, it should perform an insert edit. That is, depending on whether I drop the dragged clip's inpoint at a transition between clips or within the body of a clip, it should function identically to 1. and 2. above.

4. If the clip I am dragging and dropping is already ON the timeline instead of being dragged to it from the Add Media panel, the timline should ripple to fill the (empty space) location from which I remove it then follow the rules for 1. or 2. above when I drop it using the dragged clip's inpoint drop position in place of the Timeline's time cursor.

If these four ideas are implemented, "Ripple Timeline" will be fully realized, will be more easily understood due to consistency of operation, and will meet the needs and expectations of professional editors who have been steeped in a long tradition of what exactly "Ripple Timeline" means for all basic editing operations. It will also improve the speed with which editors can work.

Finally, full and proper implementation of "Ripple Timeline" will allow SpeeEDIT to really implement "slide editing" which it currently cannot do completely. In a ripple (insert edit) mode, slide editing operates as descibed in 4. above. In "overwrite" (non-ripple) mode, slide editing operates as SpeedEDIT currently does when you drag and drop a clip that is already on the timeline to a new position.

NewTek should also fix the documentation that suggests "slip and slide" is a single type of editing operation. They are two distinct operations. A "slip" edit involves an operation where the clip remains in the same position on the timeline (i.e. in the project) and maintains the same duration, but the clip's in- and out-points change. It is typically implemented (as SpeedEDIT has done) by dragging the a clip's body left or right to expose a different span of frames equal to the clip's previously set duration.

SpeedEDIT fully implements slip editing but only implements 50% of slide editing functionality. By fully and consistently implementing "Timeline Ripple" editing as described above, SpeedEDIT will get the other half of slide editing (see 4. above) with no additional effort.