Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Save to AVI

How to Save to AVI

Hello,

I am new to Lightwave 9.0, just got it. Among the many questions, how do I output my scene to an avi file that I can then use in something like Vegas or Avid movie maker?

I thank you ahead.

Eric

The manual goes into far more depth about this than i could, it would be the best place to start!!
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Bring up the render options panel (under the 'Render' tab at the top of the screen) look for a tab in that window called 'Output'.

There you should see an check box called 'Save Animation', activate that. Then open the 'Type' popup to the right of that button and select .AVI. Modify any options of the AVI (compressor type etc.) by clicking on the button called 'Options'.

Select a save filename by clicking on the button 'Animation File' and locating where you want to save the animation file.

That's it.

However, it's ALWAYS best to save individual frames rather than a whole animation, because if something happened while rendering you could lose the whole animation by corrputing the file. Whereas frames are saved as it progresses through the render, so if the worst should happen, you at least have some frames saved.

Then you import those frames into a video editing package (or even LightWave) to build an animation later.

See the video in this thread to see how:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56301

Regards
    Matt
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Thanks to you and the guy above (regarding the manual). Naturally, the manual would be best however it didnt seem to apparent under render info on that.

Now, below. Your instructions sound straightforward, my only problem is I dont see an options panel as you describe. I'm sure once I find that, I'll be good. I selected the Render Tab and there are options on the left but no Output window.

Thanks,
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    Bring up the render options panel (under the 'Render' tab at the top of the screen) look for a tab in that window called 'Output'.

There you should see an check box called 'Save Animation', activate that. Then open the 'Type' popup to the right of that button and select .AVI. Modify any options of the AVI (compressor type etc.) by clicking on the button called 'Options'.

Select a save filename by clicking on the button 'Animation File' and locating where you want to save the animation file.

That's it.

However, it's ALWAYS best to save individual frames rather than a whole animation, because if something happened while rendering you could lose the whole animation by corrputing the file. Whereas frames are saved as it progresses through the render, so if the worst should happen, you at least have some frames saved.

Then you import those frames into a video editing package (or even LightWave) to build an animation later.

See the video in this thread to see how:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56301

Regards
    Matt

Ok, I found it, under Render Globals tab (under options), then output.

Ok, that should get me started. The video looks like it will also be helpful though he describes it as if for those who dont have an external movie editor.

Does this basically save with a transparent background? For example, if I made some spaceship, I should be able to just overlay it onto any video track any where I like?

Thanks again.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by kirkeric
    Thanks to you and the guy above (regarding the manual). Naturally, the manual would be best however it didnt seem to apparent under render info on that.

Now, below. Your instructions sound straightforward, my only problem is I dont see an options panel as you describe. I'm sure once I find that, I'll be good. I selected the Render Tab and there are options on the left but no Output window.

Thanks,
    Eric

Does this basically save with a transparent background? For example, if I made some spaceship, I should be able to just overlay it onto any video track any where I like?

Thanks again.

Eric
    It will save with a transparent background if you use:

1: an image format that keeps the alpha channel embedded, like PNGs or TGA

2: If you save an alpha sequence out seperately and use that in your compositing/video editing application

Desk Work:
    Desk Home:

Ok. I'm sure those terms will become better understood in time. My guess is based on the grid look and all that it is probably defaulted to the transparent background.

I will look up the terms PNG, TGA, and alpha sequence - a little foreign to me at the moment.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by lardbros
    It will save with a transparent background if you use:

1: an image format that keeps the alpha channel embedded, like PNGs or TGA

2: If you save an alpha sequence out seperately and use that in your compositing/video editing application

Definitely a bad presumption on that transparent part. It made the background pure black in my first attempt. Dang.

Old Dog Learns New Tricks RudySchneider's Avatar
    Aside from the manual, and the obvious experimenting you're doing --- which, by the way is a valid, albeit tedious, way to "learn" --- I highly recommend you try some of the tutorials, and consider purchasing some of the excellent publications (read one of Dan Ablan's Inside LightWave books).
    There are no problems, only opportunities...

Definitely a bad presumption on that transparent part. It made the background pure black in my first attempt. Dang.

The background may look black straight from the renderer in Lightwavebut save it out as a PNG file type and then load it into Photoshop or something, it will have a transparent background.

Desk Work:
    Desk Home:

Nothing ado about much Exception's Avatar
    You might want to catch up on the phenomenon of Alpha Channels in general. they're not a LW specific thing, and they're used throughout graphics programs. You'll have to use them if you want to do anything with transparent images.

Is PNG a video file? Here is what I have. I use Vegas Movie Studio and I don;t believe it accepts a PNG file. So I had saved as an AVI, brought it into Vegas and it had black background.
    Appreciate your help.
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by lardbros
    The background may look black straight from the renderer in Lightwavebut save it out as a PNG file type and then load it into Photoshop or something, it will have a transparent background.

PNG is a Portable Network Graphics file, initially developed as a better alternative for the GIF file format (especially when the original developers of the GIF format wanted royalties for every instance of its use!)

If you want to load still images into Vegas, and retain the alpha channel, use the TARGA (.tga) file format.

Ok, slowly working through this. I definitely do not want still. I just want to figure the proper way to save from LW9 to "a" video file that is usable by Vegas and has the transparent background.

My simplest example would be just some footage of my backyard up towards the sky and say I want to overlay a UFO. Naturally, I want just the UFO with nothing behind it.

Thanks again. All info is useful.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    PNG is a Portable Network Graphics file, initially developed as a better alternative for the GIF file format (especially when the original developers of the GIF format wanted royalties for every instance of its use!)

If you want to load still images into Vegas, and retain the alpha channel, use the TARGA (.tga) file format.

I don't think there is a video format that will do what you want. You'll need to build an anim from alpha channels and use that to knock out the areas on the main anim file.

Seriously, just use frames, soooooo much easier, they can be manipulated like a video file from within Vegas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast