Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Subtractive / Multiply Layers?

Nothing ado about much Exception's Avatar

Subtractive / Multiply Layers?

How do I make a clip or layer subtractive or additive or multiply?
    I need to make certain titling and vignetting on clips, and I can't find it in the manual.

You don't, really - transfer modes are not a feature of SE at the present time.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

If you look in the SpeedEDIT Programs directory, it says or has a link for features. I run SPEdit from a slave backup OS drive from the .exe, so I can't read this without swapping drives. This is a 1.0 so get your requests heard, I seen the other about motion blur, and maybe 1.x will add these. There maybe something coming from www.bobfx.com or Jose's Tips n Tricks, so you might not need to wait for .x.
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

Digitizing video since 1984
    HyMPG Designer since 1997
    [email protected]

Ok, I'll try.

There's surely a lot missing in this 1.0... even for someone who doesn't work with video editing on a daily basis...

Well, it's a good start, this 1.0, I guess. Just not very useable yet, me thinks. Too many bugs and omissions.

I'm curious - this seems to suggest that most other current NLE apps offer transfer modes. Do they? I've not looked recently, but in years gone by this was more in the realm of a compositor. (Not to say it wouldn't be welcome.)
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Here's what was sent to Newtek.
    I'll finish this project, then shelve SpeedEdit until it's mature enough to be used in production. Until then, all the best with the creation of the program and the support of its users.

"Here's a list of things that we expected to be in Speededit, but isn't, and is part of the basic toolset in every other video editing suite we have. These things are vital and we cannot work with speededit without these tools. It should be advertised that these are not in Speededit until they are, as they pose major breakage for the workflow of any seasoned video editor:

- No easy muting/disabling of tracks
    - No Transfer modes for clips (Add / Subtract / Multiply / Screen etc)
    - No Image sequence loading for most filetypes
    - No option to load a sequence or not
    - No Additive dissolve etc
    - No Motion blur and other basic filters (even VirtualDub has this!)
    - No uncompressed Quicktime support
    - Poor sorenson Quicktime Preview (garbled)
    - No Lightwave uncompressed Avi support
    - New Project Settings window is parasitic (hovers on top of other programs in front of Speededit)
    - Crashes on various format browsing
    - No .HDR format support
    - No Exposing tools for high dynamic range images

I'm afraid a lot of people coming from Premiere, Avid or even Windows Movie Maker will be disappointed and sorry they spent their money on SpeedEdit. That is a shame as it has an enormous potential, and damages the Newtek name unjustly.

Speededit should not have been released without these options. All video editors available on the market have had these options for years, and it is expected of Speededit to have these. I certainly did.
    For reference, I'm a Beta tester of Lightwave. The Ligthwave to SpeedEdit workflow is nonexistant, eventhough they are bundled in sales. Until SpeedEdit support LW image sequences loading (like even VirtualDub and all other free video editors do), HDR support, RLE and channel editing, SpeedEdit should be kept very far away from Lightwave, as anyone working with the two together will hit brick walls on every corner."

Enough of complaining now.
    Time to work (in Premiere, unfortunately).

I forgot to add that all clips are imported with the wrong aspect ratio...
    So that requires a manual intervention for all clips.

I don't know how you do advanced titling without transfer modes, without jumping through 100 hoops.

I really have no trouble with sequences, but I'm still looking for an explicit reply on the matter of transfer modes:

Does Premiere, for example, offer this? FCP? Edius? A quick glance at Google hasn't located a reference that provides a clear answer, apart from one that may be out of date indicating it was missing from Premiere - but presumably you know?

btw - I'm not intentionally being argumentative ... just haven't had time to keep up with this lately, and as you brought it up ...

p.s. - I've had almost zero issue with automatic pixel aspect recognition, but I have seen one report here of an oddball size being misinterpreted.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie
    Does Premiere, for example, offer this? FCP?
    Yes, both. Premiere has had it for over 10 years. Simple tick of a box.

Edius?
    Don't know Edius. I know Avid does, and obviously all compositing packages do, (DFX, Combustion, AE)

p.s. - I've had almost zero issue with automatic pixel aspect recognition, but I have seen one report here of an oddball size being misinterpreted.
    We're making a collaborative video over in the Lightwave Beta forum. I'm getting jpg sequences, TGA sequences, quickimes, avi's, various codecs and all output from LW. I have to push EVERY single movie sent to me through VirtualDub to make it NTCodec so it'll load properly, and then ALL footage is misinterpreted. Also single frame JPG's and TGA's that are obviousle square pixels get squashed. All of them, without exception.

Quote Originally Posted by Exception
    ... and then ALL footage is misinterpreted.
    The only thing I can think of then is that the majority of these are in odd (not auto-recognized) pixel/aspect formats, as opposed to the common, garden variety NTSC and PAL SD and HD formats that SE 'knows.' Even in such cases, a simple adjustment in the clip Properties panel should suffice to correct a problem.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

No easy muting/disabling of tracks
    Tricky, if not impossible, as SE is not really track based - but you can, of course, mute any individual clip or sample with a single click in the Trim Bay (always onscreen.)
    No Transfer modes for clips (Add / Subtract / Multiply / Screen etc)
    Hmmmm ....
    No Image sequence loading for most filetypes
    Can't agree - this is quite simple to do
    No option to load a sequence or not
    Agreed that an option would be nice.
    No Additive dissolve etc
    OK.
    No Motion blur and other basic filters (even VirtualDub has this!)
    -More filters is always desirable. VDub is not exactly an edit software though, and filters in SE need to be capable of realtime performance (this is a longstanding argument here, so I won't get into it.)
    No uncompressed Quicktime support
    QT support seems to be incomplete in this version, but the Anim codec, which is 'effectively' uncompressed is supported. Frankly, I'd put more emphasis on h.264 being implemented.
    Poor sorenson Quicktime Preview (garbled)
    I just tested both Sorenson and Sorenson 3 clips, both worked just fine. Not sure why you ran into trouble.
    No Lightwave uncompressed Avi support
    Seriously? I just rendered out the stock TRex anim using LW's AVI "Full Frames - Uncompressed" codec and it loaded into SE without a hitch.
    New Project Settings window is parasitic (hovers on top of other programs in front of Speededit)
    Why would you open this panel if you don't intend to use it? And if you do intend to use it, why would you want it to be possible for it to appear behind other panels? People would soon complain that they it isn't working if it did, not realizing it was hidden by something else.
    Crashes on various format browsing
    Over time, a number of specific codecs have been identified as culprits - NewTek has fixed this almost as fast as samples have been submitted.
    No .HDR format support
    Pending, afaik - though limited by the internal colour depth to some form of import, I think ... but surely not something you can include under the comment that other NLEs "have had these options for years" ....
    No Exposing tools for high dynamic range images
    Again, I'm not aware that many NLEs can handle HDR, much less end-to-end. Though, as hdr formats become more common I hope to see the day they can be handled without conversion; more than that, I also hope to see the day of affordable fully cameras and HDR apps. (Of the countless apps on my systems, the only one that can really handle HDR is Fusion.)

So, a few worthwhile feature requests I think ...
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie
    The only thing I can think of then is that the majority of these are in odd (not auto-recognized) pixel/aspect formats, as opposed to the common, garden variety NTSC and PAL SD and HD formats that SE 'knows.' Even in such cases, a simple adjustment in the clip Properties panel should suffice to correct a problem.
    Yes it does.
    But for 40+ clips this becomes quite a laborious task, no?
    The project is in square pixels, the imported files are bitmaps of clips in exactly the same resolutions as the project, and they are in square pixels too, so what's the problem?

Sorry for my annoyance, I'm just very disappointed, as I was looking forward to having a lot of fun with this package and now I regret using it. I'm not spending my time being creative but spending it dancing around the shortcomings.

Quote Originally Posted by Exception
    Yes it does.
    The project is in square pixels, the imported files are bitmaps of clips in exactly the same resolutions as the project, and they are in square pixels too, so what's the problem?
    Not sure - for example a properly created 720 or 1080 render should import into any 16:9 format project (even anamorphic) without any need for tweaking.

p.s. - On the subject of changing many clips, you can do this in a heartbeat (with no rendering in VDub) using the Toolshed.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Yes it does.

I agree on this you can use Tool Shed thats what its there for.
    Save a setting,
    Select all the clips you want to do this to and hit perform.
    bobt_at_bobfx_com
    www.bobfx.com
    Bob Tasa

Can't agree - this is quite simple to do
    How?
    Like, changing your preferences to 1 frame per imported image, select all the images, dragging them into the timeline, then linking them or rendering them out into a clip? That's no solution, that's a hack, and a cumbersome at that.

AFAIK, only TGA image sequences are supported. JPG, TIFF, PNG's, any other format, you're on your own.

-More filters is always desirable. VDub is not exactly an edit software though, and filters in SE need to be capable of realtime performance (this is a longstanding argument here, so I won't get into it.)
    Sure. VD does this in real time.

I just tested both Sorenson and Sorenson 3 clips, both worked just fine. Not sure why you ran into trouble.
    Me neither. I've attached a screenshot showing what the movie in this thread looks like in the preview window (it exports okay)

Seriously? I just rendered out the stock TRex anim using LW's AVI "Full Frames - Uncompressed" codec and it loaded into SE without a hitch.
    For me, its black all the way. It was confirmed by NT tech support.

Why would you open this panel if you don't intend to use it? And if you do intend to use it, why would you want it to be possible for it to appear behind other panels? People would soon complain that they it isn't working if it did, not realizing it was hidden by something else.
    If I start Speededit, which takes a while to start up, I like doing other things with my computer and my time. That panel sits on top of everything, other programs, browsers, whatever. It interferes with the basic rules of the operating system. That's not very preferable I have to make a choice and kill that panel before I can continue using my computer properly.

Now also noticed SE doesn't work well with a tablet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SE_garble.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	44129  

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast