Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abstract - Groboto export

May the sauce be with you starbase1's Avatar

Abstract - Groboto export

I bought myself the full version of the rather fun prog Groboto - it's really intended for William Latham style animated graphics, but it does export, so here's a sample shape rendered with gradients in Lightwave. (You really need to see it thrash around for the best effect, but anyway...)

If anyone wants to play with the object, i have made it available for download here:
    http://www.starbase1.co.uk/thrashit.zip

I think it would look rather good with some of the new shaders such as dielectric, if anyone on the beta for 9.2 wants to play with it...

Nick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	groboto.jpg 
Views:	425 
Size:	187.7 KB 
ID:	44042  
    Faith is the opposite of Intelligence.

Touched by his noodley appendage!
    My Lightwave Graphics & Downloads!!!

Sweet! That's just a fun image.

Starbase,
    This looks great, perfect for something I'm working on. Could you tell us more about Groboto? I did a quicksearch and found a free version but not the full version. Where did you buy it and what's the damage?
    Art and photography Flickr site
    Animation, facial rigging, modelling ArtStation
    Assorted animations Robert Ireland

Just pay here, all the usual methods:
    http://www.groboto.com/Store%20%26%20Downloads.html

Full price is $79 us, but if you ask for a voucher you get $20 off. Not at all bad for 30 pounds!

It is mainly intended for animation (it will morph between just about any of its weird stuff, and is VERY quick to render). Definitely weird, but not hard to get into once you get your head around it.

Nick

Nick, thanks for the info and the downloadable object. Groboto looks great for modelling outlandish abstract shapes - the crazier the better

PS I've been looking for an app that creates abstract visuals (like Windows Media Player) which respond to music and can be saved out as .avi movies. Can anyone help?
    Last edited by bobakabob; 03-19-2007 at 08:24 AM.

I've been looking myself for sometime, including driving light brightness from LW's audio channel, but with very poor results. I'd love to hear if you find something.

One obvious line of attack was trying to capture th display from an audio player, but I never found a utility that could keep up...

Quote Originally Posted by starbase1
    I've been looking myself for sometime, including driving light brightness from LW's audio channel,
    I've used audio to drive the position of nulls in the past, but not light intensity. what you can do is extract the time/amplitude data (I used a Mac app called audioXplorer) and manipulate that in a spreadsheet so that you get only positive amplitude data and use that as a basis for the light intensity.

Of course that's only a theory...I'll have to try it out myself one day. There is a C4d plugin that does this kind of stuff.

Colin
    Her hair glistened in the rain like nose hair
    after a sneeze.

GroBoto Exports

I bought myself the full version of the rather fun prog Groboto - it's really intended for William Latham style animated graphics, but it does export, so here's a sample shape rendered with gradients in Lightwave. (You really need to see it thrash around for the best effect, but anyway...)

If anyone wants to play with the object, i have made it available for download here:
    http://www.starbase1.co.uk/thrashit.zip

I think it would look rather good with some of the new shaders such as dielectric, if anyone on the beta for 9.2 wants to play with it...

Nick
    Thanks for spreading the word Nick.

Just thought I'd mention that there are afew more free GroBoto meshes here (and I'll be adding a new batch in a day or three):
    http://groboto.com/Online%20Exports.html

...and here's pic showing some of the fog & sky effects coming in 2.1.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	radialSequenceScene1d.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	218.8 KB 
ID:	44258

Darrel

Looks superb, Darrell. Can you import objects into Groboto?

ok, way too cool to resist...

markus
    3dworks visual computing
    demo reel on vimeo
    instagram

OSX 10.12.x, macpro 5.1, nvidia gtx 980 ti, LW2015.x / 2018.x, octane 3.x

GroBoto Imports

Quote Originally Posted by bobakabob
    Looks superb, Darrell. Can you import objects into Groboto?
    Thanks.

Sorry, no... GroBoto is not a polygonal modeler -- instead it uses our own custom solid geometry engine. On the up side it's that technology that allows us to produce such high fidelity geometry (and render it at essentially infinite resolution -- no polygonal facets -- really quickly).

These highly complex algorithmic forms really benefit from the hi-fi geometry.... preserves all the subtleties and intricacies of the intersecting forms... as you can see in these pics.

Name:	blob-o-rif-web.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	232.4 KB 
ID:	44264

Name:	Coral Nomad.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	259.5 KB 
ID:	44265

Darrel

It has it's own renderer, which is what Darrel is showing - simple but VERY fast.

For Lightwave owners you are most likely to use it to generate complex organic looking abstract shapes. With LW's surface editing, particularly gradients and reflection, you can take things up a notch. As remarked earlier I'd LOVE to see what the new dielectric shader can do with these shapes!

It's more of a graphic toy than a conventional package, (which is no bad thing). Nothing else like it, and a lot of fun.

I'll post a couple more Lightwave renders imminently...

Nick

OK, I'm only going to post one for now, because it's so much stronger than the other one, this is the first Groboto to Lightwave image I really feel proud of.

It's my first attempt to 'model' an object using drawbots, exported to with the option to preserve surface types, and given some heavy gradient based textures in LW.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	squirlique.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	44273  

GroBoto Exports

It has it's own renderer, which is what Darrel is showing - simple but VERY fast.

For Lightwave owners you are most likely to use it to generate complex organic looking abstract shapes. With LW's surface editing, particularly gradients and reflection, you can take things up a notch. As remarked earlier I'd LOVE to see what the new dielectric shader can do with these shapes!

It's more of a graphic toy than a conventional package, (which is no bad thing). Nothing else like it, and a lot of fun.

I'll post a couple more Lightwave renders imminently...

Nick
    Regarding LightWave mesh importing, I have a question. Would it be preferable if GroBoto exported quads (all of our meshes are triangular, but we could optionally generate quads for most of our geometry)?

Thanks
    Darrel

Well, as far as LW goes, it's very simple to triple any quads, so if they start as quads, we can have either... And so far your objects have imported without any issues for me - not all applications can manage this with the OBJ format. And it preserved surface identifications on import too. So what is there now works just fine thank you.

But the key thing is for the quads to be planar - LW is not as tolerant as some aps of non flat polygons.

One request that may seem slightly odd - personally I would like it if there was the option of just exporting 1 point for the centre of each sub-object. That way I could use them for hypervoxels, (globby things a bit like metaballs), or even chains of lens flares / lights.

It would also be awesome to be able to export a whole sequence of OBJ files from an animation. I know the space requirements could get painful, but that would let us get the full thrashy weirdness of Groboto completely into Lightwave!

Nick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast