Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Using Image Sequences as clips?

Banned

Using Image Sequences as clips?

Hi,

Just installed Speed Edit and playing with it.

I looked on the manual, but I not see How I can import for example an animation created on Lightwave and saved as a TGA sequence.

On Premiere you select the first frame and mark the Numbered Stills. But I couldn't find any similar on SpeedEdit.

I tried to select on order from my first frame of the sequence, to the last one, and drag those to the Timeline. But then I saw the clip was of a wrong lenght.

I tried dragging only the first numbered frame from the Add Media to the Timeline, change the out point there AND WORKED!

It is that mentioned on the manual? Just curious!

Best regards,
    David

It doesn't seem to be, sorry.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Banned
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

That it is a very BIG important omission on the manual then!

I do not think many people would like to render videos from LW to use then with SE when you can do sequences as well!

Best regards,
    David

Nothing ado about much Exception's Avatar
    Well only sometimes,
    Most of my image sequences never get imported as a clip, but as stills, no matter if I stand on my head and do a song. Now I have to push everything through Virtualdub in order to make it work.

reeeediculous.

Some filetypes (notably Targa) are recognized as sequences. Others (JPEG) for example, are assumed to be stills. You can override this (effectively) by temporarily setting the Default Still Length in Prefs to 1 frame.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

As for LW, try setting 0 as first frame rendered, if I remember Don B. posting. For whatever reason, Mirage .tga32's always load.

YMMV
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

Digitizing video since 1984
    HyMPG Designer since 1997
    [email protected]

Arg.

Thanks for the replies.

so the only format supported at a seq is tga?
    i use png's nr all the time from 3dsmax for combustion...they are much smaller than tga files...

can someone confirm the file types that ARE supported by speed edit as seq of images be default and not a workaround hack ala final cut express [setting still image time to 1 frame]
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

I don't find it a hack or workaround, really - 1 frame is my default, always has been.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

just to check then...if you set 1 frame as your default still images length i can import png32 sequences with no hassles?

if someone can answer my question that'll help determine my purchase desicions.
    stee+cat

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

PNGs import just fine - they aren't automatically recognized as a sequence by SE as Targas are, but you can simply multi-select them and drag them in (with alpha), or drag the folder in if the alpha doesn't matter. (In the latter case, if you need to, you can drill into the SubProject created when you import the folder, then render with overlay on to create a single anim clip with alpha.)

I just created a test sequence with Mirage to confirm this, btw.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by cresshead
    just to check then...if you set 1 frame as your default still images length i can import png32 sequences with no hassles?

if someone can answer my question that'll help determine my purchase desicions.
    Not to sound argumentative versus SBowie, but the answer is: No.

ONLY TGA files will import as sequences. Everything else does not import as clips. The suggested 'workarounds' like dragging in a folder, making it a subproject and so on, is inadequate because you cannot adjust the properties of these entities properly (like aspect ratio, play speed, etc), and they take up a lot of memory.
    Therefore, use either TGA or convert your sequences to uncompressed avi's using VirtualDub, or if virtualdub doesn't read your filetype, use LW to render them to uncompressed avi's.

Only .tga!?!

I'm kind of shocked by that. I ditched .tga for .png years ago. I know hard drives are cheap but I hate filling my drive up with doubled up unnecessarily.

Quote Originally Posted by Wegg
    I'm kind of shocked by that. I ditched .tga for .png years ago. I know hard drives are cheap but I hate filling my drive up with doubled up unnecessarily.
    Well I'm sure with all the rucus this caused, it'll be addressed in the next update. For now, you can maybe use XNview to quickly convert your image sequences to TGA's... that's what I do now. XnView is free and very powerful for this sort of thing.
    I wish Vidget was still around to do this kind of stuff.

well that's put a hold on my purchase...i don't do workarounds for basics like this...i've always outputted to png for combustion and tga would work fine but would annoy me!....don't know will have a think on this as there's a promo for lightwave/speed edit update...are there any more annoying things i shold know before i drop some cash on speed edit?
    stee+cat

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast