Thread: [TRICK] Change project settings

[TRICK] Change project settings

Hello speededitors.

I'm using speededit for a few days now, and wanted to change project settings.

I was editting HDV in 720p for ā 4/3 pal dv output boxed, no problem to render that, then I wanted to use the black bars top and below my 16/9 clip to add titles and credits.

There is no option that I know of to change project setting on the fly while editing... but !

If you open a second speededit, you create a new project with needed settings (4/3 SD), you copy-paste your first (16/9 720p) project in it, tadaaa, clips adapt automatically to this new project and you can now work in a 4/3 environment.

Might come in handy.

Great tip Jean!
    Toasting with NewTek since 1991 - Corinthian Media Services
    Riding Quiet on an Electric Ninja.

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    Yes, very nice tip

Thank you,
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

you're welcome
    Last edited by Jean; 02-15-2007 at 11:51 AM.

Newbie Member
    Ahhhhh, the uncomplicated solution almost always escapes me. Thank you. This works quite well.
    David

David M. Ingebretsen, M.S., M.E.
    Collision Forensice & Engineering, Inc.

[email protected]
    [email protected]

Thanks Jean. I faced the same problem. Tried to look for a button or a function that would change the setting on the fly. Newtek... please add this feature in..

Jean, I've been doing this for a while, but remember how excited I was when I found this out. It was our first HD project and the client suddenly wanted to go home with a SD DVD that day for proofing with a committee. Copy/Paste, wala!

The thing I would like to see is has anyone found a simple way to re-adjust the GFX that inevitably don't land where you want them? I've got tool shed presets that work for most, but there's always tweaking to do. Fortunately, that project only had a few GFX.

Thanks for reminding everybody!
    Ted R. Ruiz Sr.
    Ad-Venture Video Productions
    Elite NewTek Dealer
    www.editbay.tv
    TriCasters, Most All Models
    Cameras-Mostly HVX 200's

CreatvGnius
    Quote Originally Posted by ted
    ...The thing I would like to see is has anyone found a simple way to re-adjust the GFX that inevitably don't land where you want them? I've got tool shed presets that work for most, but there's always tweaking to do. Fortunately, that project only had a few GFX....
    I'll bet I misunderstood your scenario, since I'm a bit fuzzy on what you mean by GFX.

But I'll bite:
    What happens, Ted, when you try placing the EDIT LINE to where you want the graphic (GFX?), while zoomed in tightly -- then nudge graphic to edit line??

-PeterG

Quote Originally Posted by ted
    The thing I would like to see is has anyone found a simple way to re-adjust the GFX that inevitably don't land where you want them? I've got tool shed presets that work for most, but there's always tweaking to do. Fortunately, that project only had a few GFX.
    That's exactly why there is not an option to change project size.

Example:
    If you are in an SD project and position something at 180 on the X axis, did you want that placed 1/4 screen from the side or at exactly 180 pixels to line up with something else?

Pretty much any size or position info would have this same problem.

There is no way for us to ever guess correctly, so the feature would have constantly been "malfunctioning" from the users standpoint.

The copy paste method is about as close as is possible, even if we were to add the option.
    John Perkins
    Software Engineer

"No, it's my natural color..."

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar
    Wouldn't it be better and simpler to just drop the first project as a subproject into an empty project with the resolution set where you want it to end up???
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

Quote Originally Posted by John Perkins
    There is no way for us to ever guess correctly, so the feature would have constantly been "malfunctioning" from the users standpoint.
    I figured as much, but thought I'd ask if anyone had found any tricks I couldn't think of.
    Thanks John.
    Ted R. Ruiz Sr.
    Ad-Venture Video Productions
    Elite NewTek Dealer
    www.editbay.tv
    TriCasters, Most All Models
    Cameras-Mostly HVX 200's

An HD project could be rendered out at a different custom (rather than from the drop-down suggested) resolution or (with the right DVD authoring tool / compressor downstream) you could use the new AVI wrapper.

It is very much easier to appreciate how (well) this works if your country is already ready for 16:9 SD DVD as well as the native 16:9 HD delivery formats.

Richard (brackets mad) Bartlett