Thread: Problem with weight maps

Problem with weight maps

It's been a few months and I still haven't figured this out... For some reason, intermediate weight values between 0 and 100% are treated as 100%, which makes things like twisting a forearm or deforming a shoulder properly an impossible task in Lightwave. Is this normal behavior, or am I missing something? I've attached a couple screenshots illustrating the problem. http://www.gluge.com/taj/temp/arm_weights.jpg The settings for the forearm bone are:

[ ] Use Morphed Positions
    [ ] Faster Bones
    [ ] Use Weight Map Only
    Strength: 100%
    [x] Multiply Strength by Rest Length

All other checkboxes are unchecked. "Use Weight Map Only" seems to have no effect.

If you don't use wieght maps only, the bone wieghting will be used and the wieght map is only use as a selection for what oints the bone will influence. So if you don't use wieght maps on the bones around the mesh they will also influence the points.

For twisting the forearm, I think smartskinning it is the best way to go.

Curve,

I'm aware of that technique, and have tried it before... but the method doesn't extend well to other things like shoulder deformation, where you have so many degrees of rotation and multiple ways of achieving the same position. I've tried, with multiple endomorphs and expressions, and haven't yet got it to work.

That's Hrgiger. My quote is from Curve.

I only suggested using smartskin on your twisting forearm. It's much easier then using bones and weightmaps.

As far as your shoulder problem, you need to blend your weight maps. I rarely ever use the Use weight maps only feature and tend to rely more on bone falloff. When you make your weight maps in modeler, blend them, you'll get a much better transition. Like for example in the elbow joint, you should have the points at the juncture of the bicep and forearm set to 50% bicep and 50%forearm. The points right below the elbow set to soemthing like 75% forearm and 25% bicep. This way your weight maps blend into each other and you don't have such a harsh transition and bend.

And again as far as your shoulder setup. You should have your bicep bone raise the arm just past shoulder level and then to raise it higher, you should have a clavicle joint that kicks in to raise the shoulder girdle higher.

In my briefcase here at yahoo: http://briefcase.yahoo.com/dirtyneo there's a quick little animation called warming up. Divx Codec. You'll see right in the beginning when she raises her arms. The biceps move the arms about shoulder level and then most of the rest of the movment is from the clavicle bones. Since she raises them straight up, you might need to raise the bicep a little more to make it look natural.

Anyway, hope that helps some.