Thread: Wacom Intuos3 4x6 or 6x11?

Newbie Member

Wacom Intuos3 4x6 or 6x11?

Which Wacom Intuos3 would you guys recommend? The 4x6 or the 6x11?

Both are widescreen format

The 4x6 is $150 less than the 6x11

My monitor is a Dell LCD 24" widescreen

Many Thanks!!

I prefer the larger size. I use an Intuos2 6x8.

About half the time I use the tablet I use the full size when I need the detail and accuracy, but the other half, I'll reset it so I'm only using about 2/3 of the tablet's sensor area. This way my hand doesn't have to move as much.

Of course, my wife's a caricature artist and she draws on the Cintiq21UX and I eagerly wait for her to finish her work so I can steal (uh, borrow) her tablet for a few minutes a day.

But to answer your question, I prefer the larger size so I have the option of how large to make my drawing area. And it still fits perfectly in my laptop bag.

Scott

I'm here for the cake John the Geek's Avatar
    I have the 6x8 at home on my wife's 20" widescreen iMac, it's nice, but cuts a bit of useable space off the bottom of the tablet. I have a 6x11 here at work that cuts a bit off of the right side because it's a bit too wide... Neither is a perfect ratio.

I prefer the 6x11 myself, I worked with a 4x5 once and just hatted it. But I tried a 12x12 once too and it was way too big... so there's a balance.

The 6x11 is a very nice tablet.

=)

I've found bigger to be more precise and easier to use, but way less portable (and it takes up desk space). If you're not going to lug it around (e.g., with a laptop or on the road), go with the 6x11.

I've had a 9x12 for a few years and wish that I would have bought a 6x8. The 9x12 is huge, it's an older tablet, and takes up alot of space. I also find that I only use a small portion of the drawing surface. That being said, I would suggest 6x8 if your into drawing or 4x6 if you want it for just texturing. Any bigger is just silly in my opinion unless you've got alot of space and really long arms.
    Existing simply to exist is no existence.
    SO CREATE!!!

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.

Desire everything but expect nothing, that way you're always motivated and never disappointed.

I like my Intuos2 12x18, just moved from running it with a 24" to a 30", as to the mapping not matching your monitor, all you have to do is go to the mapping tab of the setup utility that comes with it (the Wacom Tablet) and check 'Force Proportions' and it does just that, maps it one to one with no dead areas

6x11. Big enough to work freely, small enough to fit into a briefcase.
    Allen Bussell

Newbie Member
    It's going to depend a lot on your style of drawing. I know some people that can draw an image detailed enough to use as a plan on a 3x5 card, and I know some people that can't even seem to get their hands to work on a piece of paper smaller than 18x24.

Unless you're planning on using it with a laptop, I wouldn't worry too much about portability. Look at the size of drawings you normally do and purchase accordingly.
    [I]"This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."[/I] - Sir Winston Churchill

Go for the bigger one. I lost my 6x11 when I was burgled a few years back, and have been stuck with a 4x6 since... and consequently have hardly used it. It's just too small - my hand clasped around the stylus barely fits on the dern thing, and there's no place to rest the heel of my hand.
    Mark Hennessy-Barrett
    www.imaginetix.co.uk
    www.shaxam.com
    ...and then I was on fire.

The 6x11 is great, I use it with my 24" iMac