Thread: 3DA Tutorials (numbered jpegs missing)?

3DA Tutorials (numbered jpegs missing)?

Ihttp://www.newtek.com/forums/images/smilies/brians/help.gif
    I'm trying to learn 3DA .Has anyone had the problem when loading scenes that there are no numbered jpeg images in the screens. All I'm getting is colored backgrounds and they're listed in the Surface Editor as Video_1/2/3 and not jpegs as in the tutorial.
    It makes it impossible to follow the tutorial when I'm not able to duplicate what I see.
    I have LW 8.5 and the tutorial is displayed thru LW 7.5. In this case I do not have all the same tools diplayed in the left toolbar.
    What could be the problem and is there a solution.
    I've been editing on the VT for over 5 years but have never used LW so I'm not at all familiar with it. I bought 3d Arsenal to take advantage of LW, but find it just as daunting when the tutorials don't match what I see.
    Yes I have created the required content dir. and plugin dir.. And what's with that? The DVD when loaded opens an install wizard that can't install those dir. for you? Comeon Toasterdudes I'm sure you could create that simple step for us less sophisticated users.
    Please help Thanks:
    Steve / AVP
    Last edited by Aaron Video; 01-04-2007 at 03:30 PM.

Steve,

I've just started with 3D Arsenal, but haven't had your problem yet.

Be sure that you have the LW layout content directory set to the first directory level above the scenes and objects directory, as below.

Don
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dir.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	40396  

also, the images directory, where the "number" jpegs are located, must be in the same directory level as the scenes and objects directories.

Don:
    Thanks for the tip. What I discovered was the legacy_plugins were not scanned in. Quit frankly, I found that Newtek or ToasterDudes have sources to my problem already. My problem was to find them. There not all together. One source was a slip of paper that came with the software, another was the FAQ on this site and yet another was on the Disc tutorial. I don't believe we should have to follow so many steps in order to make a program functional. What happen to plugin-play.
    My new problem is getting the new configuration to save after shutting the program off. The tutorial says turning the program off will auto save your settings. Not so in my case.
    Do you have a any suggestions?
    Steve/AVP

Don:
    Thanks for the tip. What I discovered was the legacy_plugins were not scanned in. Quit frankly, I found that Newtek or ToasterDudes have sources to my problem already. My problem was to find them. There not all together. One source was a slip of paper that came with the software, another was the FAQ on this site and yet another was on the Disc tutorial. I don't believe we should have to follow so many steps in order to make a program functional. What happen to plugin-play.
    My new problem is getting the new configuration to save after shutting the program off. The tutorial says turning the program off will auto save your settings. Not so in my case.
    Do you have a any suggestions?
    Steve/AVP

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Video
    My new problem is getting the new configuration to save after shutting the program off.
    Hi Steve,

Are you talking about the lw application configuration files, or the actual changes you make to a project? If it's project changes (in layout), when you make scene changes, such as lighting, camera position, etc, those changes are saved with the scene file, and must be saved by File>Save>Save Scene or by hitting the "s" key. Also in layout, if you make changes to the object such as surfaces, you have to also save the object file by File>Save>Save All Objects. These changes do not get saved automatically.

You also mentioned that your menus were different from the tutorials. I did a custom install of 3D Arsenal because I have a number of other plugins, and I didn't want those disturbed. However, 3D Arsenal, itself, has four layout tools, and nine modeler tools, and they appear on the tool panels with the following names:

In Layout: Reset Key, Create Ease Key, Move Key, Replace Key.
    In Modeler: Easy Text, Reset Easy Text, Layerize, Zero Pivots, Center Pivots, Single Sizer, Letter Sizer, Line Sizer, Line Sizer 2D.

So, if you see those keys, you have everything for 3D Arsenal.

Hope this helps
    Don
    Last edited by don_culbertson; 01-12-2007 at 04:49 PM.

3DA config will not save.

Hi Again:
    I got to busy to resolve this issue when I origally tried to use 3DA back in Jan.. I've now had an opportunity to deal with it again.
    To be more specific, the problem I have is with the plugins. Everytime I restart 3DA I have to run the scan directory utility, search for the (plugins & legacy-plugin) files. Then I have to reset the contents directory path. If I don't follow this procedure each time I start 3DA, the image files (no.'s jpegs) will not load.
    Until this is resolved, I don't trust using the program for any time demanding projects only to lose them due to the current problem.
    I can't get any assistance from NewTek and my retailer is stumped and suggested this forum.
    I'm running LW8.5 and VT4.6.
    Hopefully someone else has had the same problem and found the solution.
    I would like to thank Don Culbertson for his help. I sorry I didn't have the time to delve into this more at the time you offered your help, but if you or anyone else may no what to do, I'd love to hear from you.

Tech Support 3DA / VT

If anyone at NewTek is paying attention. I liked to say that it's my belief you could provide a plug and play version of this program (3DA - which requires 3 full pages of detailed instructions explaining the configuration required to make this program function). Dispite following the step by step setup I was still unable to use the program. Check my earlier postings.
    I find it somewhat disappointing that the only way to get tech. support lately is what's provided by this forum. We're your clients. Why should we rely on each other to resolve problems we've paid you to handle. There is some expectation to get some assistance through the purchase of your products. I've been one of your oldest clients here in Canada and have received little to no assistance from your Co. when dealing with sometimes unsurmountable crashes, lock-ups, software failure, etc .. I don't believe your retailers can be expected to have all the answers, although mine has been more than generous with his time.
    You use to offer the option of leaving a voice mail (calling long distance on our dime) which would be replied to within 24 hrs.. Currently 30 to 45 min waits while paying long distance tolls, end with just hanging up due to the mounting charges. On 1 occasion, I snuck in your back door by calling your sales desk. The voice on your end assured me my tech. support needs would be met and that he would personally see that my message with my phone no.(780 963-3480) would be handed to the managing tech. support staff. Three months later, still no call back. If you expect us to hold for help, a toll free 1-800 no. is not unreasonable to ask for.
    I appreciate the difficulties in meeting everyones demands, but its my contention that software being shipped to clients that have inherent problems
    only places greater demands on your tech. support network. Perhaps more time in develoment would relize you better results all the way around.
    Perhaps you ask yourself why I continue to use your product if I'm so disatisfied. My answer to that is two fold. I'm a very small 1 man production co., who has to date over $20,000 CDN invested in your products including upgrades. Maybe a small investment to some, but big enough from perspective. What's more important is that I'm familiar with your product now and believe by comparison, is supperior to your competitors by design.
    I would like to see continued support and new builds to pre-VT5 software. After all, moving to to newer versions doesn't mean you've corrected all the bugs of the previous. Its been my experience that buying upgrades resolves far fewer problems than new ones being introduced.
    I expect to continue to use and eventually enjoy what I've already purchased without the fear of having to buy bigger and better in the hopes that the current problems go away.
    I'll gladly purchase add-ons, tools, templates, DVE libraries anything that would help add to my production values. First, they need to be offered. Second, they need to be easy to install and work right out of the box.
    I'm a former Draco/Casablanca owner which I replaced with VT. In the first 2 years of Casies exsistance add on and 3rd party tools were 5 times what's been developed for VT in last 5 to 6 years. Why hasn't VT encouraged software developers whether 3rd party or in house to work this market. A huge potential as yet untapped.
    Pouring all your efforts into building bigger more costly VT5's / Vt6's / VT'7s will only discourage your faithful while adding only a few new users in the future.
    To continue to improve on what's been built already and providing more inventive optional plugins, libraries and other peripherals would maintain and grow your customer base through word of mouth sales provided by a perceived solid well designed machine that's improved without being continually replaced. You don't think there's money in that. Just try it. You'll be surprised.
    If anyone else believes what I'm saying is true. Let NewTek know. I don't get the impression that this is a common topic among VT users. Perhaps we can get the ball rolling.

Steve Payne / AVP

Steve,
    I understand your frustration and apologize for it.

As far as 3D Arsenal is concerned you are right.

This is a product Newtek aquired and we are currently still selling the product in its orignial form. It is not Newteks fault for the way the configs work but it is our job to address it and fix it and we are doing that.

We have the re-branded version of 3DA on the way which solves alot of these issues and allows the user to just install and go.

Tech support is usually very good at getting back to you and I apologize for any problems.

Feel free to email me directly with question or isses with 3DA and I will get back to you asap.

3D Arsenal is a really cool product and concept and Newtek aquired it because of that.

We are committed to making it better, fast and easier to use in the future

Thanks
    Don Ballance
    Director of Training for NewTek
    Co-creator of Newtek's Award Winning 3D Arsenal

[email protected]