Thread: Are CCs completely unuseable in 9.0?

Are CCs completely unuseable in 9.0?

Have had ZERO success doing anything with CCs even on the simplest object.
    LW and Modeler will crash every time if a poly object is converted to CC subdivision surfaces.

My specs:

Win XP 32
    4gigs ram
    Dual Xeon
    LW 9.0
    George Krauter

"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore."
    -Yogi Berra

I am on dual x' as well with 3k ram and I use them just fine.

I find the CC's are fantastic for rendering super-smooth lettering sets.

Now, of course, there are many limitations since they are difficult to work with at high p-counts. This is common knowledge.

At first blush it does sound as if your experience is non-quotidian. I wish I could be of more assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by theo
    I am on dual x' as well with 3k ram and I use them just fine.

I find the CC's are fantastic for rendering super-smooth lettering sets.

Now, of course, there are many limitations since they are difficult to work with at high p-counts. This is common knowledge.

At first blush it does sound as if your experience is non-quotidian. I wish I could be of more assistance.
    Glad that they work for you. Are there any special steps you take to make them work? For instance, if you have a model that was previously the standard sub-d type, what would YOU do? I hit the tab key to to convert the model back to polys then chose CC as my sub-d type and hit the tab key again. I then saved the object with a new name.
    After that I opened LW and replaced the older standard sub-d model with the new CC one. It crashes every time. Would that approach be wrong or diferent from what you do? Spill, please.

When you say ithat they work for you, do you mean LW 9 or the 9.2 beta?

What is your idea of high poly? The model I need to work with consists of 6308 patches, and cannot be simplified. Is that number too high? Again, I'm curious about your specifics.

Thanks in advance!
    George Krauter

"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore."
    -Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by G3D
    Glad that they work for you. Are there any special steps you take to make them work? For instance, if you have a model that was previously the standard sub-d type, what would YOU do? I hit the tab key to to convert the model back to polys then chose CC as my sub-d type and hit the tab key again. I then saved the object with a new name.
    After that I opened LW and replaced the older standard sub-d model with the new CC one. It crashes every time. Would that approach be wrong or diferent from what you do? Spill, please.

When you say ithat they work for you, do you mean LW 9 or the 9.2 beta?

What is your idea of high poly? The model I need to work with consists of 6308 patches, and cannot be simplified. Is that number too high? Again, I'm curious about your specifics.

Thanks in advance!
    I can't say anthing about beta experiences but I am strictly referring to 9.0 here in this post.

I will probably be of little use to you in this case. Everything I am doing with cc's is with original models developed with cc's in mind. And the reason for that is simply because, in my humble view, cc's are not nearly as robust and generally useful as native subpatching and require a targeted approach for utilization.

But I will mention that 6300 patches should be handled with ease on your xeon system. I can blow by two-three times that with my gear in cc's with display level set at 2.

Have you checked the model for the typical crap that may freak a cc mesh? CC's in LW seem to be a bit anal so models should be scrubbed for garbage.

You might want to dismantle the model into several workable sections and assign each mesh to different layers and work through each section to see what takes cc and what doesn't. If a mesh doesn't take at least you may have been able to isolate the issue.

TrueArt Support
    CC are working for me in LW 9.0 too.. Not mentioning breaking edge weighting by modifing tools that were not updated to support CC, but that's fault of the way edge weighting was designed.. Since LW9 I had traditional Sub-Patch turned on maybe 2-3 times..

Where exactly are you having crash? In Layout with this new name object? Before loading it with CC make sure you have the smallest possible Sub-D level, and if it works start increasing.. CC have much more complexity at the same level value than traditional Sub-Patches.. Don't use in test ACP!! You can see this in Modeler by freezing CC model..
    LightWave Plugins
    Global Materials for LightWave 2019
    Custom plugin writing. Request a quote.

TrueArt Support
    f.e. CC level 3 means 2 to 3 power = 8 polys in row, 64 in patch.. 4 means 2 to 4 power = 16 polys, 256 in patch.. In traditional Sub-Patch it's going linearly, level 4 will have just 16 polys in patch.. Setting this value by mistake to similar value as in traditional will result in unbelieveable lot of geometry that can crash computer because of out of memory.. 6308 CC patches at level 4 is 1.6 million, where with Sub-Patch it had just 101 thousands..
    LightWave Plugins
    Global Materials for LightWave 2019
    Custom plugin writing. Request a quote.