Thread: light incidence angle linking problems

registered pixel pusher

light incidence angle linking problems

i am using the light incidence angle option in the diffuce surface of my object. I link it to the only light in the scene, called (you guessed it!) "light". i save the scene and the object. i load the scene back in and the link is broken, and my renders have no diffuse values because the link to the light is not there anymore. i have tried giving the light a discrete name like SUN and re-saving objects/scene, but it has the same result. anybody else having this issue? it's really screwing me up right now.

Post me a screen shot of your Node tree. I am doing lots of light incidence links and have not seen that except a few times. It generally happens when I delete something from the scene and then add something else, for some reason the pointer to the light is different.

-mark

Are you using the standard texture editor or nodal?

Referencing Lights or Objects in surfaces has always been unreliable. I think it's because the object (with the linking surface) sometimes gets loaded before the object it's referencing, so it can't find it, and drops it.

You could try reloading your object and see if it finds the light, or edit the scene file in a text editor and move the object loading until after light gets created -
    But actually I think the effect you're after could be better served by using an Incidence angle gradient instead of Light incidence.
    Confirmed -
    No Weapons of Mass Destruction
    or links to Al Queda or 9/11. (Sep. 2003)

Quote Originally Posted by toby
    Referencing Lights or Objects in surfaces has always been unreliable. I think it's because the object (with the linking surface) sometimes gets loaded before the object it's referencing, so it can't find it, and drops it.

You could try reloading your object and see if it finds the light, or edit the scene file in a text editor and move the object loading until after light gets created -
    But actually I think the effect you're after could be better served by using an Incidence angle gradient instead of Light incidence.
    Could be, but deleting and adding stuff probably shuffles the load order as well. Anyway, if you are doing a Light Incidence in Nodes, I think you still need to feed the Incident Gradient with the Light Vector Info.

-mark

Quote Originally Posted by avkills
    deleting and adding stuff probably shuffles the load order as well.
    Yea, that's probably worth a shot - clear the object, save the scene, load the object, save the scene again, and it might load after the light is created and find the reference.
    I'm going to try that myself
    Confirmed -

Figures - now I can't get it to fail, in LW 7, 8 or 9
    Confirmed -

Heh heh, Yeah I had the same thing happening when I was working on my hi-res earth, but it hasn't done it for a long time...maybe it only freaked when I had the hub running.

-mark