Thread: Really Need Help w/ Boolean Subtract

Really Need Help w/ Boolean Subtract

I'm trying to model the attached object... My first thought was to model the main yellow shape in basic form then I tried to build the little shape that is "knocked out" creating the hanging hole. When I boolean subtract this shape from the main yellow object, I'm left with all kinds of 5+ polys...

Bottom line is how would you guys go about modeling the "hanging hole" of this object..??

thanks in advance
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	top.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	130.8 KB 
ID:	39224  

I would do the shape of the inner filter as a profile. Make the shape and extrude that shape to fill the yellow object.

I'm sure there's a better way, but I would just boolean them out and do cleanup by hand, which usually involves merging the booeaned object, then manual welding of points, trippleing 5+ polys then manually merging the subpatched object and genrally correcting poly flow.
    "I am interested in entertaining people, in bringing ... laughter, to others, rather than being concerned with 'expressing' myself with obscure creative impressions" -Walt Disney
    Levanthia.com

heres a screenshot of what I tried yesterday....

basically this is the intial object that was subpatched then freezed and then built an object from which I did a boolean:subtract...

does this look right?

Name:	screenshot1.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	39225  
    Last edited by cmc3502; 11-25-2006 at 08:18 PM.

Unsure as to which piece was giving you trouble but here are some thoughts...

I edged extruded one side, centered the center points then mirrored it.
    Then, I did a profile of the inner part based on a background image; extruded it to the 0 X location; then mirrored it.

Moved some points up to better match what it was I saw of the pic.

Then, went back to the yellow part and multi-shifted, twice, the top and bottom areas where the keyholes are. The second shift I deleted leaving a hole. Shaped the hole to resemble a key.

With more work, I would sub'd this puppy for a smoother look.
    An image to go with these thoughts and the object.

Thanks for asking the question. I was bored.

Name:	FilterThingy.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	39227  
    Attached Files Attached Files

wow, thanks for doing so much to help and I'm amazed you were able to pull so much from the image...

heres the file that was pictured in my last attachment... I'm just worried about the key hole at this point....

How does this look?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Looks good. But don't focus on the keyholes as they ought to be close to the last thing you do on your object. Make sure you have your form set up first. Also, make sure you have the important part of the object properly placed within the less important part; i.e., the filter is the most important part of this object, I would think, so its placement is as important as the keyholes.

That said, your keyholes look great. Show us a render when you get it all done, please.

here is an early render.... I want to continue adjusting the "filter" paper to look less manufactured. And theres some problems at the bottom of the paper where it meets the plastic... Im happy with it so far though.. (I know the lighting is crap, just through that together to see what I was looking at)

thanks

Name:	test_render_1.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	39235  

Cool. Lookin' good.

So, are you doing it in subds or just polys?

polys.... I'll get you a wireframe later....