Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Future Transportation System - seeking animation

Future Transportation System - seeking animation

I'm developing a concept for a future transportation system, similar to what you see in Minority Report, only more realistic (no climbing buildings). But I'm an engineer, not an artist. I'm looking for someone capable of superimposing reasonably realistic models atop photo backgrounds. Here's the concept so far:

www.pptproject.com

The job doesn't pay as I'm not doing it for money myself, but it's a spectacular showcase for anyone wanting their artwork to be seen. Let me know if interested.

Gary Stark
    [email protected]

I'm still looking for someone to develop CG for this project. It's an excellent portfolio opportunity...any takers?

gary
    [email protected]

shell out some cash and you will find someone.
    The fact that you don't do it for money means nothing.
    You can't go to your butcher and ask for meat for free
    just because you want it and make no money out of it.

He has a point...I would love to do it but...I got to eat ...so do everyone else...ever thought about learning a 3D application on your own?. You may get a college student interested, but there's a gamble with that...quality, meeting deadlines, being responsible...yadda yadda

Curious, what happens to one of those 'cars' breaks down on the track? Does it back up everyone else?

You might get someone to do it for free. I usually have at least one personal project on at a time, at the moment I'm doing some visualisation work for a large engineering project with no payment. Ok, so I may get some publicity if it gets off the ground, and mentions in press when the image is used. Plus I get to play with techniques I wouldn't normally be able to.

You just *might* get lucky, don't give up! You might find some hobbyists who have the time to do what you're asking or as mentioned above, someone who'd like something cool in their portfolio
    - web: http://www.albino-igil.co.uk - 2D/3D Design Studio -
    - PC Spec: Intel i9-7940X @3.1GHz | 64Gb | 2 x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb | Windows 10 Pro -

I think some of the people are having a hard time getting behind your concept. This makes it more difficult for them to want to participate. The foreign concept coupled with the rough images you have posted might be throwing some people off (especially when working for free).

I would suggest maybe starting here
    http://www.conceptcar.co.uk/forums/

See if you can get any designers or wanna-be's to come up with some artwork that will spark the imagination of the people here. Or who knows there might be someone there that does 3d as well.

In answer to the back up question I believe all traffic behind a broken vehicle is probably automatically diverted around and traffic automatically merges. It is probably a great deal faster than humans trying to merge.

The one thing you would have to learn though is to be punctual. An automated system like this probably won't allow for running late for work so you speed to make up time.

Watching traffic move out of the way of an emergency vehicle might be interesting.

I can tell you have put a great deal of thought into this.

Good Luck

arsad & Darrell: I understand your concern about the lack of pay, but I was upfront on that point. I simply don’t have the funds to do otherwise. I realize not everyone can afford to contribute to volunteer projects. I work mine in between taking out the trash and helping the kids with homework. Here's another of my sites that also makes no money (ask my wife)...
    www.CliffHouseProject.com

iggy21: you asked what happens if a car breaks down. Part of the design includes a central routing computer which is in constant communication with all vehicles. If a vehicle reports problems (or stops reporting at all), the central routing system will instantly reroute traffic around the problem and dispatch a service vehicle. This is as opposed to the current system where everybody backs up behind the disabled vehicle, people rubberneck causing further problems, and traffic helicopters circle overhead. And the poor sap with the disabled vehicle has to wait for a tow truck, bargain with a mechanic to get it fixed, and find another way to work. I assure you, an automated system would be MUCH more efficient at handling breakdowns.

Dexter2999: much thanks for the feedback. I'll look into your suggestions. As for the punctuality, that’s not really a problem. Look out on the streets. Cars are parked everywhere. If even a tenth of these cars were available to jump at your command, you would never have to wait long. This is because vehicles are a pooled resource.

ALL: This really is a great opportunity for someone to essentially create an online portfolio. Your credits and contact info will be as visible as you like. I will continue to push the concept, including attempts to get into print media (Popular Mechanics, etc) once the graphics are updated.

If anyone requires further clarification on the concept, I’m happy to help.

gary

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Nice project (no, I don't have the time either) - the concept has been around for ages (I remember reading about it as a kid) and I believe a German university is doing a lot of r&d in that direction, up to a full running prototype to test the software (which seems to be the key).
    Good luck with your project!

Cheers,
    Mike

Disney had a similar concept. Epcot in Florida was originally going to be a real city, with housing, shopping etc. There were to be no motorcars in Epcot, so they had designed a transit "peoplemover" system.

It is on the Tomorrowland DVD.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Lightwolf, the concept of personal rail transit (PRT) has indeed been around for a long time, but it's never gotten anywhere. IMHO that's because the designs all call for extremely expensive raised platforms so that it can coexist with the automobile. My design is unique (as far as I can tell) in that it REPLACE the automobile...takes over the existing roadways, thus saving an enormous amount of money and FINALLY making for a public transportation system that's actually convenient for the masses (door to door delivery).

Just for the record, I don't think the issue is really software. That sort of routing and such that would be relatively easy to implement. Convincing everyone to give up their cars, now THAT will be another story! We need a movie like Minority Report to bring visibility to the concept. George Lucas, are you listening?

gary
    http://www.pptproject.com

http://www.pptproject.com/PB060025add%20tracks%202.jpg

This picture shows the track in a neighborhood with a big fence around it, how close together would crossover walks be? That would be a big drawback in existing neighborhoods. The idea does have it's place though, I thought the BART train system in the San Francisco bay area was great. I worked at Sega in downtown SF, and lived about 35 miles away near a BART station.
    $5 a day, no parking fees, 70mph, 30 min ride to work past all the 30 mph traffic. Public transportation can be a great thing.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gdstark
    IMHO that's because the designs all call for extremely expensive raised platforms so that it can coexist with the automobile. My design is unique (as far as I can tell) in that it REPLACE the automobile...takes over the existing roadways, thus saving an enormous amount of money and FINALLY making for a public transportation system that's actually convenient for the masses (door to door delivery).
    I see. The german concept has been designed for existing rail tracks. Since we have a very good infrastructure in that respect (including subways in towns running on the same rails) it makes sense. No new tracks need to be laid, only the switches need to be exchanged (and they are working on hybrid ones to allow conventional trains to use the same tracks).
    The main issue with the software is that they allow the single cabs to link together which reduces the air resistance (their system is designed for fairly high speeds of up to 160km/h if I remember correctly). I assume the linking/iunlinking depending on the traffic across the whole country is a non-trivial task to solve.
    Yeah, I'm a sucker for tech like that, I at least hope you find this a bit interesting...

Cheers,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwolf
    I see. The german concept has been designed for existing rail tracks. Since we have a very good infrastructure in that respect (including subways in towns running on the same rails) it makes sense. No new tracks need to be laid, only the switches need to be exchanged (and they are working on hybrid ones to allow conventional trains to use the same tracks).
    The main issue with the software is that they allow the single cabs to link together which reduces the air resistance (their system is designed for fairly high speeds of up to 160km/h if I remember correctly). I assume the linking/iunlinking depending on the traffic across the whole country is a non-trivial task to solve.
    Yeah, I'm a sucker for tech like that, I at least hope you find this a bit interesting...

Cheers,
    Mike

Hi Mike,

A hybrid concept - very interesting. I guess you better REALLY trust the routing system to share the track with multi-ton trains!

One assumption that many mass transit systems make is that everyone wants to travel at super-high speed. I disagree. People should slow down., enjoy the ride The extreme example of this is the newer maglev trains. Imagine the carnage when a terrorist derails one of these things! It will be the equivalent of an airline crash. No thanks. One absolute requirement of any future system is that it is terrorism-resistant.

Another requirement? That the ride be smooth enough that it doesn't spill my moccha.

gary
    http://www.pptproject.com/
    Last edited by gdstark; 01-26-2007 at 06:45 PM.

Gary, have you seen this project?

http://www.atsltd.co.uk

It's not exactly what you're proposing, but similar in execution.
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast