Thread: No HUB

No HUB

I have just got a MacPro 2.66 and installed Lightwave v9.0. Installation was fine and am awaiting a mac registration (I have had it running successfully on a PC since 9 came out) so am in Discovery mode (why isn't registration automatic on a weekend - I get the impression I have to wait until monday to get this running in full mode).

As it is, I cannot get the HUB to run. I have seen some posts about moving the HUB outside of the Program folder and if this just means literally moving it into another folder then this does not work either. Beyond that, I do not understand what moving the HUB means.

BTW, the MacPro is great and a demo of MODO running my Lightwave files looks particularly impressive - lets hope the UB version of 9 does not take as long to come out from first demo as 9 did or my mac investment is going to be an expensive one.

In terms of graphics cards, I am using the stock 7300 and from what I have seen so far, it holds up very well against my PC's FireGL X2 AGP 256mb so maybe I will not need to upgrade to an ATI X1900 (In disovery mode, I cannot compare fully until I can load one of my large models but in comparison to MODO 101 on my PC, it seems to be as good as the FireGL X2)

Any help appreciated.
    Nige

The hub doesn't work in Discovery Mode!

Moving the Hub out of the Programs folder is to disable it so that wouldn't help you anyway. BTW editing the Modeler.cmdLine and Lightwave.cmdLine to read -0 is supposed to be a better method for disabling the hub.
    Mac OS10.5.2, Quad 2.66GHz Mac Pro, 3Gb RAM Geforce 7300GT 256mb VRAM

Thanks for the info - now I feel like an idiot and deservedly so! I have always had a registration almost straight away and so never came across the limitation before.

Cheers.
    Nige

No problem!

Animator
    Hub == Evil

self flagellating LW monk
    tomt, what language do you use?

Finally got my registration through yesterday - looks like Newtek Europe don't let you register over a weekend which is 'peculiar'. However, although I registered v 9.0, I got a 'thanks for registering v 8 and an incorrect serial number (in fact, it's my old Windows ver 8 number but the Lock ID is correct). I emailed them back last night but have had no reply today and suffice to say the registration is failing (thought I'd give it a bash though) so another email is sent off tonight.

I guess I'm talking out of frustration here as I bought a new Mac Pro on the weekend and was looking forward to cranking LW up, albeit in Rosetta. I also bought it as I understood from the forums that the UB version was imminent? Did I also read it right today that it is now looking like end of 2006? Hope I'm wrong again. Now I'm all for getting something right before its let loose but please do not let us have a repeat of v 9.0 where it was announced and then took nearly a year to get out - great for the beta-testers but hugely annoying for us mere mortals. From what I gather from the forums, plenty of people are having probs with the HUB and registering - its times like these that Cinema 4D (+UB since Intel Macs were born) and Blender look very inviting....

Go on then, flame me - I feel it coming!!
    Nige

LW9 has to be registered through the new international sytem here not with Newtek Europe. You'll have to create an account but be prepared to have problems, nearly everyone has! Not because there's a fault with the sytem but because the process isn't particularly intuitive. There is a pdf of detailed instructions to follow somewhere. I'll post a link if I come across it.

As for the UB, well there is no release date, all Newtek have said is that it should be released in 2006. I expect it well before the end of the year though, from what Chilton has said it's still got a few things to be sorted out but it's not too far away (hopefully) My guess is sometime in September, mind you if you'd asked me a month ago I'd have said some time in August!

Edit: Found that registration .pdf
    Last edited by BazC; 09-12-2006 at 03:20 PM.

Red face

Thanks again Bazc - a decent night's sleep and I feel a little calmer now! I certainly did not realise I had to register through newtek.com and not newtek-europe - guess it was something else I missed.

Nigel
    Nige

My pleasure!

Quote Originally Posted by eblu
    tomt, what language do you use?
    I think he uses LScript. If he uses C++ that would mean something totally different.(I think that is how it is in LScript, forgive me if I'm wrong)
    Triboot-

XP:Work, play, ect.
    Vista:... I don't know.
    Ubuntu: Developing on Linux also...

Pentium 4 2.8 GH
    GeForce 7600 256 MB AGP 8x
    Driver:163.75(WinXP)
    1 GB RAM

I'm here for the cake John the Geek's Avatar
    When I received my copy of LW 9 I went to the website to register it.

Entered the Lock ID, selected the Processor type, etc...

Got my Mac key....

Got my Win 32 key...

They were exactly the same. It says that they will be different, but they weren't. Well, the Win 64 key was different, but the Intel/Win 32 key and the Intel/Mac key were both the same.

Hope that helps.

=)
    Last edited by John the Geek; 10-23-2006 at 07:00 PM.