Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: making a panoramic image

Newbie Member

making a panoramic image

Okay, I'm trying to create a 360-degree view of a room for use in Flash. I've managed to create an image that covers 360 degrees, but it kind of warps everything, and none of the lines are straight. I guess what I need is an orthographic 360 view.

Problem: When I set the Horizontal FoV to Cylinder (360), and the Vertical FoV to Orthographic, what I get is an image that is nothing but a set of vertical colored bands. It almost looks like it renders the first line of the image properly, but then just keeps repeating that line over and over again all the way to the bottom of the image.

So, my question is, how would I set the advanced camera to create a panoramic image that will look proper when scrolled from side to side? Ultimately, I want to use the image in an interactive Flash setting.

Thanks in advance,
    Net Wolf

Try setting the vertical FoV to perspective.

By setting it to orthographic you told it to set the vertical component of each ray to be exactly the same. And as you probably set the starting position to be the position of the camera (or other item), all the rays actually end up being on a flat disk centred at the camera.

---JvdL---

Newbie Member
    Nope, didn't work. Gave me the same distortion of objects as lots of other methods. It doesn't really appear that there's a way to do a panoramic orthographic view. The panoramic would work for a landscape, which was much further away, but I'm in a room that isn't all that big, so the distortion caused by the walls being closer then further away is really, really bad.

*sigh* Oh well. I'll find another solution, somehow.
    Thanks
    Net Wolf

May the sauce be with you starbase1's Avatar
    I think there is a fundamental conflict in what you are trying to do.

I do a lot of panoramic photography, and it's a feature that straight lines become sweeping curves.

http://www.starbase1.co.uk/galleries...THWIDE_2B.html

An orthograophic 360 panorama does not make sense. However if you repeat the mapping you use for a panoramic image to view it, (for example by mapping a spherical projection to the inside of a sphere), it will look right again.

Nick
    Faith is the opposite of Intelligence.

Touched by his noodley appendage!
    My Lightwave Graphics & Downloads!!!

hint: panocube.
    Best way to generate QTVRs from equirectangular or 6-directions-pics.

Paolo

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    How about creating a cylinder with a UV and using that as the "lens" for the advanced camera?
    The vertical height would determine the height of the scene you're covering.

Cheers,
    Mike

ok, simple question: so i did advanced camera and rendered 360 spherical, then i applied that render to sphere and everything is bork, any ideas on how to do that properly?
    may the luxigons be with you!

Triglycerous Gluteous Dave Jerrard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smok3
    ok, simple question: so i did advanced camera and rendered 360 spherical, then i applied that render to sphere and everything is bork, any ideas on how to do that properly?
    Yep. Use Cylindrical, not Spherical. Spherical will work better for Image World since it's more like a lightprobe image that you'd get off a reflecting sphere. Cylindrical, set to 360 degrees for the Horizontal FoV and Vertical FoV set to Same As horizontal, and rendered at a 2:1 aspect will give you an image that can be spherically mapped.

He Who Has Used These Modes Quite Often Lately.
    Last edited by Dave Jerrard; 09-15-2006 at 10:06 PM. Reason: You want the truth? You can't handle the truth! But I've got oven mits.
    - Any typos are the result of a creative, yet rebellious keyboard.

ASUS KGPE-D16 MB
    2 AMD Opteron 6272 CPUs
    32GB Kingston KVR1333D3D4R9S RAM
    EVGA|01G-P3-1556-KR GTX550Ti video card

Waking up this thread again, as I have decided I want to do more QTVR stuff...

Panocube... Anyone got any nice ready made camera set ups that point in each direction in turn? And I am not at all sure about how to line the camera up correctly when it is pointing straight up or down...

And can the spherical option be persuaded to give an equirectangular output?

Nick

for panocube just use Eky's refgen camera setup, it works nicely.
    With Refgen you generate 6 shots, then you compose them in an equirectangular image (always with Refgen/scene 3). Once you have equirectangular pic, drag it onto Panocube and BANG, QTVE on the rocks.
    It's for sure the fastest and cheapest way to generate QTVRs.
    If you dare to use LW's engine, you dont need Refgen steps since you can directly render equirectangulars, like Dave said above.
    Since i use only Fprime or Kray, these Refgen steps are needed.

Paolo

Thanks Pavlov, I don't have Kray / FPrime, so I'll give it a go in native LW when I get back home from the day job.

I can see it might be handy to get to grips with other ways though...

Nick

OK, I've tried stuff and I am stumped. Can some kind soul clue me in on what settings to use in the advanced camera to get an equirectangular image out?

Nick

Dunno about advanced camera, but in old classic camera you just make 6 images, all square (equirectangular! What a word!), and set your FoV in the camera to 90 degrees. That way when you rotate the camera 90 degrees each time for the next shot you're looking at the next 'tile' for the cube. The top and bottom were a guess on my part but you can only get them wrong a few ways If they're wrong then just reorder them in panocube or rotate them in photoshop before running through panocube
    - web: http://www.albino-igil.co.uk - 2D/3D Design Studio -
    - PC Spec: Intel i9-7940X @3.1GHz | 64Gb | 2 x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb | Windows 10 Pro -

VR Saturn

OK, I think I am getting the hang of this stuff.

I have chosen the environment near Saturn for one of my first experiments. One above the rings and one below.

I'm quite pleased with it - though the stars are a a bit too big / bright. Star positions are accurate, but I have not tried to align the star field with Saturn's polar axis. Anyway, here are links to 2 scenes - you will need Quicktime installed to view them.

When I am sure I am doing this the best way, I plan to put together a tutorial on exactly how I did it, but the very short version is:

1) render an image in equirectangular panorama format, 360 wide by 180 high.
    2) Put it through the free panocube software.
    3) Watch in the Quicktime viewer!

Each file is less than 1 megabyte in size.

http://www.starbase1.co.uk/UNDER-SATURN-RINGS-BIG.mov
    http://www.starbase1.co.uk/SATURN-OVER-RINGS-VR-BIG.mov

Feedback welcome - and suggestions or other good subjects!

Cheers,
    Nick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast