Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bullet hole node-WIP, also need a little help

Bullet hole node-WIP, also need a little help

Right now this is a work in progress. But it works for the most part, well sort of. I am hoping somone out there might be able to tell me what is causing some of the anomallies happening with the current scene file.

I 1st created this node using a flat double sided plane. It works very very nicely. So I went onto making a 3d sub-d cube to test it out on. I managed to figure a few things out. But the positioning seems to be all wacky. I have uploaded the node and the file with the node inclosed for those who wish to look at it. Once I get this crazyness solved, I am gonna create the surface nodes for it (unless someone beats me to it). I been working on this for 3 days, and since this is my 1st go at nodes, I think I've gotten quite far.

This node uses the curve node. You will see that I actually had to invert my curve to get it to appear on the surface correctly. On a Flat plane that wasn't needed.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Current system Specs:
    4gb ddr2 1066
    dual 9600 gt (512mb each) running SLI
    9600 black edition amd
    780a nvidia chipset
    XP Pro or XP Pro 64 or Windows 7

I am Jack's cold sweat Karmacop's Avatar
    How about this? Because your nulls are world coordinates the textures need to be world coordinate based too. Anyway, load this into your displacement.

Nope, I tried the world co-ordinate idea already. I tried your node too and it doesn't change anything.
    Current system Specs:
    4gb ddr2 1066
    9600 black edition amd
    780a nvidia chipset

It works fine for me, what was the problem? I did change subdivision to after motion and deformation to before world displacement. It will work in this case

EDIT: I just had a look and when you import my nodes you need to link up the nulls to the item nodes, maybe that was pert of the problem too?
    Last edited by Karmacop; 08-19-2006 at 09:36 PM.

Hi guys,
    I was trying a bullet hole idea as well but I went the particle route. I have attached a scene to show what I mean however Its not working quite right, the bullet holes dont stay put. It uses Dponts particle info node could someone check to see if they get what I get, 9`s been getting a bit flakey recently and I`m not sure if its me the node or my system.

Its the v001 scene the first scene I was way off target

Quote Originally Posted by LightFreeze
    It uses Dponts particle info node could someone check to see if they get what I get, 9`s been getting a bit flakey recently and I`m not sure if its me the node or my system.
    It's because point info is only useful when you're surfacing points or hypervoxels, that's probably why you're getting crashes. The correct way to do something like this would be using DPont's particle paint, however I don't think that has been converted into a node yet.

never mentioned point info, it uses Dponts particle info

Quote Originally Posted by Karmacop
    DPont's particle paint, however I don't think that has been converted into a node yet.
    It is included with the Denis's Rman Node collection.

It's Alive! ALIVE!!

Thanks a bunch KarmaCop. The two setting you changes made alll the difference. And yes, I did see the nulls were disconnected. I knew they would be from having imported my nodes from me emailing them from PC to PC while I played with it.

Might I ask why you chose to do the vector math that way vs. the way I had it listed?? Mine works fine once I turned on world coordinates, connect the nulls world position to the position tab and made those 2 slight adjustments.
    Current system Specs:
    4gb ddr2 1066
    9600 black edition amd
    780a nvidia chipset

Lightfreeze: His particle info is faked, maybe that is the issue?
    Current system Specs:
    4gb ddr2 1066
    9600 black edition amd
    780a nvidia chipset

Particle Info Node works with surface, may be you should first try
    a less complicated surface before adding all stuff you need.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ParticleInfo.gif 
Views:	440 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	36158
    In Logic Node distance limit will be the radius effect on the surface.
    FX_Collision mode must be set to "Stick".

...Faked, because there are some confusions,
    if two particles are located at the same place,
    Particle Info can't detect correctly their ID.

Denis.
    Last edited by dpont; 08-22-2006 at 05:43 AM.

That is a neato setup using surfaces Lightspeed, and I am gonna pick it apart to see how I can apply it to my surfacing of the deformation I have.

And turnng on sticky works with your settings. Just turn the bind/bounce to 100% and increase fix power to 20. Or atleast thats what I did to make it work.
    Current system Specs:
    4gb ddr2 1066
    9600 black edition amd
    780a nvidia chipset

The problem with using sticky on the bullets is if you have a mesh attached to the bullets particle then that mesh will also stick, that was the idea behind generating child particles at each erase point but I cannot get the child particles to show on the surface
    This generates a new problem, you cannot have two different collisions on one object, they end up cloning the last one edited. So I tried it with 2 meshes about 0.01mm apart with the back one erasing the bullet and generating a child particle which is set to stick on the front plane however the child emitter doesn`t show with particle info ??

Another confusing thing is in the scene I posted if you switch the plane to sticky and set as MiniFireDragon suggests then the marks will show up however if you switch off the child emitter(which is the one particle info is looking at in the surface) then the marks still show even though there are no child particles

Just to say, LightFreeze, that Particle Info does nothing else
    than outputing LW Particle buffer with any addition, substraction,
    or modification, if a particle state doesn't allow to access one of this buffer,
    or if it is not what you expected, FX_Emitter or FX_Collision must be changed,
    only trick I know is to clone FX system and change some required option,
    for a specific use.

I have also already noted some strange issues with collision age buffer.
    (Howard Margolius has more knowledges in the Particle FX thing than me)

Denis

Thanks for the feedback Dennis but in that surface I posted I am only using the position buffer of the child emitter but it seems to be returning the positions of the gun emitter, does the node pick up all the particles in the scene?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast