Thread: Nodal Displacement

Nodal Displacement

I've been trying to figure out how to do a node terrain displacement... something like RedBull has in the Node section but his pic is to small for me to see what he did. Only thing I can tell is when I add a node it is added to the list in the left box. RedBull has a Displacement node... I can't find a Displacement node anywhere on the Mac version of 9. Someone forget to add the Displacement Node to the Mac version or is hidden somewhere?

Randall

Nodal displacement is added under object properties (Deform tab) not via the surface editor
    Mac OS10.5.2, Quad 2.66GHz Mac Pro, 3Gb RAM Geforce 7300GT 256mb VRAM

Thanks BazC

Now that I know where it is, can't figure out how to get it to work. Wish RedBull had put a pic up that I cold actually see what's going on. I can't get any of this nodal stuff to work.

They say ignorance can be cured but stupid is forever. In my case, the verdict is still being debated.

Randall

There's all kinds of settings so it can get a bit confusing!

Try this, create a cube in Layout (Cntrl n to create a null, then modeler tools>create>geometry>primitives>platonic solid>cube) then subpatch it (modeler tools>toggles>g-toggle subpatch) then open object properties geometry tab and set display subpatch level to 40 and render subpatch level to 100 (yes 100! we want lots of geometry to displace) Be careful if you're importing geometry, if you have an object with Catmull Clark SDS and you set render subpatch level to 100 it'll probably melt your CPU!

Now go to the deform tab, right in the middle is a button marked Edit nodes. Click on the square to the right of that and it should turn white with a checkmark in it. Now click on edit nodes and it will open the node editor. There will be one node already there, the displacement node. Create a new node by cicking add node (top left button)>3d textures>turbulence. Now connect the bump output of the turbulence node to the input of the displacement node. Open up the properties of the turbulence node and set the size to 100mm on x, y and z and bump amplitude to 10%.

You should now see some displacement in the viewport and render.

Hope that helps!

Well that was interesting.
    I'm on an Intel iMac and this is what happened:

When I hit modeler tools>create>geometry>primitives... nothing happens.

I can't create anything, gears etc, nothing happens.

So I created a plane in modeler and hit tab. I sent the plane to Lightwave and tried to set the subpatch level to 40 and Lightwave hanged so bad I had to force quit. But that's not all. I run Bittorent in the background because that's how I get the files from the company I work for, and I've noticed this with Lightwave 8.5 as well, think it has something to do with Lightwave Hub corrupting my bittorent files. I don't know if that's what's really happening but I get corrupted bittorent files when I'm also running Lightwave.

Anyway, things got so bad I had to reboot. I opened up Lightwave with nothing else and I still can't create anything in Layout Modeler Tools. So I tried creating a box in Modeler, made sure my subpatches were set to Sub-d's and hit tab. Sent the box to Layout and set the subpatch level to 40...

Lightwave hung again so bad... I had to reboot.

Don't think I'll be using Lightwave anymore until they get the Universal Binary out. Can't afford to loose my work downloads from bittorent any more.

Thanks for trying to help though BazC, I'll try again when the UB version comes out.

Randall

Too bad, hopefully the UB will be here soon. BTW make sure you have an object selected when you try to create geometry in Layout, it won't work otherwise. A null will do.

Will do, when the UB comes out. I'm not going to risk opening Lightwave again until then. I was at 87gigs of a 125 gig file download. It's going to take bittorent an hour or so to check the existing file, so that's an hour downtime for me and my boss is none to happy with me right now.

The verdict is leaning more towards stupid in my case right now.

Randall

LightWave is powerful, but not that powerful

Hi Randall,

Quote Originally Posted by Randall
    Well that was interesting.
    I'm on an Intel iMac and this is what happened:

When I hit modeler tools>create>geometry>primitives... nothing happens.

I can't create anything, gears etc, nothing happens.
    I'll look into it today. Does this happen every time you try this?

Lightwave hung again so bad... I had to reboot.

Don't think I'll be using Lightwave anymore until they get the Universal Binary out. Can't afford to loose my work downloads from bittorent any more.
    Just so you know, memory and asset protection in OSX prevent any one app from directly affecting another app in this manner. It's possible you have hard drive problems, bad memory, or some other hardware issue though--LightWave is a very resource intensive app, and tends to find hardware issues if there are any.

The UB version of LightWave is not stable at this time. While we work out the bugs, I have to force-quit it on a regular basis. Doing so never causes general system instability though.

Every bug mentioned in this forum has already been examined, is being examined, or will be, before the next version ships.

Theoretically, it is not possible for LightWave to affect BitTorrent.

Nonetheless, if you can get me any specific info regarding the corruption, or if you can place one of the corrupted files in a private section of web space, I'll be happy to download it and see if I can figure out what happened.

-Chilton

You need to add a few more things to that node of yours.

For instance, a ripple displacement:
    Add:
    Ripples
    Spot Info
    Scale

Connected them
    Ripples:Alpha ---> Scale:Scale
    Spot Info:Normal ---> Scale:Vector

Then
    Scale:Result ---> Displacement

You would just replace the ripple node with your image node. Keep in mind the Opacity controls how far the image leaps out of the surface.
    Current system Specs:
    4gb ddr2 1066
    dual 9600 gt (512mb each) running SLI
    9600 black edition amd
    780a nvidia chipset
    XP Pro or XP Pro 64 or Windows 7

Hi Chilton

So you're thinking I've got a hd or memory problem? Wonder if I can find out with running disktools or something. That sucks. I just got this thing.

Honestly I don't know whats going on with the bittorent thing. But it only happens when I'm running Lightwave. Maybe they're trying to use the same memory or something, I haven't got a clue what I'm talking about but tend to think silly stuff like this when things don't work right. Don't think my boss would be happy with me sending you files. He's not very happy with me right now and don't think I want to bring it up.

Oh well, hey I ordered the K&R book along with Steven Kochan C programming book so maybe I'll can learn some C in the meantime.

Randall

Also to Model in Layout you need to add a null 1st. Make sure that Null is selected, then do the Add primitive.

Also, setting you subpatch detail to 40 is insane!! That's gonna drag your machine down to it's knees especially how you had the nodal displacement set up. I set the above nodal displacement I have listed to 3 and it displaced fine.
    Last edited by MiniFireDragon; 08-15-2006 at 09:15 AM.
    Current system Specs:
    4gb ddr2 1066
    dual 9600 gt (512mb each) running SLI
    9600 black edition amd
    780a nvidia chipset
    XP Pro or XP Pro 64 or Windows 7

Lightwave on Rosetta?

Randall:

The fact that you are even "trying" to use Lightwave under Rosetta on a new Mac means you are to a certain extent working on the fringe. I am not aware of NewTek's official stance on using Lightwave under Rosetta but my guess is that it is not officially supported. I have found a lot of applications to be very unstable under Rosetta. I would not expect a resource-intensive app such as Lightwave to be any different. I stick to my G5 and don't even try to use Lightwave on my MacBookPro. I sincerely hope that Chilton is rocking on the UB but obviously he is the only one to know how far away that is from hitting a public beta near you ;-)

Chris

Hi Chilton

So you're thinking I've got a hd or memory problem? Wonder if I can find out with running disktools or something. That sucks. I just got this thing.

Honestly I don't know whats going on with the bittorent thing. But it only happens when I'm running Lightwave. Maybe they're trying to use the same memory or something, I haven't got a clue what I'm talking about but tend to think silly stuff like this when things don't work right. Don't think my boss would be happy with me sending you files. He's not very happy with me right now and don't think I want to bring it up.

Oh well, hey I ordered the K&R book along with Steven Kochan C programming book so maybe I'll can learn some C in the meantime.

Randall

Hey Chilton

Ok, I have a different setup now. My Bittorent file finished downloading and I setup an old G4 notebook to do nothing but my bittorent uploads and downloads.

So here's whats up: Everyone was right, I wasn't adding a null before going into Modeler Tools, so that's all my fault. I actually got BazC's version with 40 display subpatch levels and 100 render subpatch levels, along with the displacement to work. See pic.

However, I went back and created a box in Modeler, hit tab, saved it, and sent it over to Layout. When I tried setting the display subpatch levels to 40... Lightwave stopped responding. A few minutes later Firefox stopped responding and it cascaded to all my open programs... Mail and iChat were the other two I had open and both stopped responding along with the Finder also stopped responding.

Restarted my computer and only ran Lightwave. I could reproduce BazC geometry and displacement stuff all within Layout using Modeler Tools with no problems.

But when I went back and exported the geometry from Modeler to Layout, I got the same thing. Lightwave stopped responding and eventually Finder stopped responding.

Clears up some stuff for me, hope you too.

Randall

PS: Just for kicks I opened up Bittorent and started a small download. Lighwave is just so much of a resource hog when doing the subpatch stuff, from Modeler geometry, that it eventually makes them all stop responding. I wanted to do landscapes with the nodal stuff but can't get a plane from modeler into the node system and get it to work. Got it to work the regular way without nodes though. See pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BazC.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	35945   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	landscape.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	35946  
    Last edited by eidetiken; 08-16-2006 at 10:41 AM.