Thread: Lw created file extensions

Lw created file extensions

Ok, here's another one

Each file that LW creates should have it's own file extension instead of the all purpose .cfg extension. So, if you double click on a saved background file or a keyboard setup file, LW would launch (if it's not open) and load those settings so you don't have to do it manually.

I think that makes sense....

Kuzey

Hi,

Objects are .lwo, and scenes are .lws. I didn't want to change the existing method for saving files, but I did change how LightWave handles opening files for v9. Theoretically (as in, LaunchServices doesn't always do this right), starting in v9, double-clicking a model will open Modeler. Double-clicking a scene will open Layout.

The thinking is that if you're in the Finder, and double-click a file, you're doing something slightly different than if you're in the app and choosing the file via the Navigation Services 'open file' dialog.

Apps are supposed to be consistent with the document type double-clicked there. Obviously, if you're already in Layout, you can import models via the existing metaphors.

Expansion of double-click behavior will progress with each new version of LightWave, as the anticipated behavior becomes more apparent.

(How's that for double-speak? ;-) )

-Chilton

That's good to know

But I was talking about all those little extra files such as when you save your menu layouts to disk etc. So, if you saved your backdrop setting and it had it's own extension then you could have a recent backdrops button etc. within Modeler, so you could change the "Backdrop" or "Menu layout" on the fly

Sorry for adding the double click bit...that took it to a different direction

Not only wll it be helpful, it also benefits PC users too.

Kuzey
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	backdrops.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	35452  

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzey
    That's good to know

But I was talking about all those little extra files such as when you save your menu layouts to disk etc. So, if you saved your backdrop setting and it had it's own extension then you could have a recent backdrops button etc. within Modeler, so you could change the "Backdrop" or "Menu layout" on the fly

Sorry for adding the double click bit...that took it to a different direction
    Interesting idea. I'll pass it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzey
    Not only wll it be helpful, it also benefits PC users too.

Kuzey
    What's a 'PC user'?

-Chilton

Wonderful

Quote Originally Posted by Chilton
    What's a 'PC user'?

-Chilton
    I have no idea...someone related to bill gates maybe.

Kuzey