Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is LW9 Applescriptable?

Is LW9 Applescriptable?

I'm thinking not but it would be cool if it were

It just came up because I happened to read Chris Pitts post here and thought this needs to be done in one click:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54998

kuzey

Not yet, but it's definitely on my list. The issue is how far I can make AppleScript reach into LightWave without doing anything horrible to the source.

-Chilton

Oooooo...it's on the list!!!

Wonderful

kuzey

For the record, I think AppleScript is an abominable language. I firmly believe it's the brainchild of people trying to put a nice face on C++, without learning anything from the years of feedback Apple had as a result of HyperTalk. HyperTalk could have easily been implemented system-wide, and the Mac landscape would have been considerably improved. That's all I'm going to say about that.

But yes, some degree of AppleScript support is being considered for a future version of LightWave.

Hi,

Aside from 'everything', what features would you like access to via AppleScript?

Thanks,
    -Chilton

I would like to be able to do ANYTHING via AppleScript. Just make it possible to issue lscript commands via AppleScript, and then return the result to the AppleScript. That should be the easiest way to achieve the highest amount of functionality. Sure, it means that you'll have to script in both AppleScript and lscript, but if it means less coding in AppleScript, I'm all for it.

Honestly, if you can sit and program and wonder about which tense a word should have for the code to work, there is something wrong with the programming language. And if "/Applications/Lightwave/some/****/folder/file" is "file of folder "folder" of folder "****" of folder "some" and so on and so forth (yes, I know that's not the ONLY way to write file paths in AppleScript)... you get my point. Bleh.
    Are my spline guides showing?

AppleScript is not invited to my tea party

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious
    I would like to be able to do ANYTHING via AppleScript. Just make it possible to issue lscript commands via AppleScript, and then return the result to the AppleScript.
    That sounds like a reasonable place to start. I'll look into it.

Honestly, if you can sit and program and wonder about which tense a word should have for the code to work, there is something wrong with the programming language.
    Those who have not been forced to write an AppleScript have no idea just how hellish it is, and how accurate your statement is.

AppleScript is a mean joke on the programming universe. An attempt to shovel all the power that HyperTalk gave the user, back into Pandora's box.

I'm a (HUGE) fan of SuperCard myself. If it weren't for that environment, I wouldn't be the Mac junkie I am today.

-Chilton

I never used HyperCard, or SuperCard. My relationship with AppleScript is kind of like an abusive husband and wife. I love what AppleScript can do, and how easy it is when it's easy. But when you try to write something more complex than a dozen lines of code, you're bound to run into syntax ****.

I think there is a replacement syntax out there somewhere. It works the same way, basically, it's just that you write something that looks more like a real programming language. But I cannot recall what it was called...

I usually find an example from somewhere and change to suit my needs, writing a complex applescript is way over my head

The great thing with Applescript is the record button but that doesn't work with everything or everytime.

Now....if we had a record button for Lscript

Kuzey

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzey
    I usually find an example from somewhere and change to suit my needs, writing a complex applescript is way over my head

The great thing with Applescript is the record button but that doesn't work with everything or everytime.

Now....if we had a record button for Lscript

Kuzey
    I've NEVER seen the record button work. Well, not since Mac OS 9, anyway.

As for a record button in lscript, try this: ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/eyeo..._Commander.mov

I agree about the record button. I believe they fixed it in 10.4.6 or .7 though!

I was absolutely astounded when I tried it (on a Finder script) recently, and found that it actually worked!

-Chilton

Haha, that's cool! I'll have to try it once I get my main machine up and running again. (Typing this on an original iMac from 1998.)

What I would put at a higher priority than Applescript support is better mac support in Lscript. Like file system code that would "just work" on both platform, something that should be about as complicated as implementing code that has been posted on the Lscript list ...

What also would be sweet although I am at a slight loss at the connection to applescript is better web support/integration in LScript. Like, open it for simple automatic web update routines.

On a sidenote I really think Newtek should set up a server to make plugin urls work after a year, or in the case of unpredicted traffic ... And also to make the act of giving something for free to the LW community, not cost people money (for bandwidth). Obviously people would want to have the plugin on their own site, but the file could very well be on a Newtek server to great benefit and at a tiny cost to Newtek really.

I will have to think a little but the main idea I got for an LW applescript would be automagic update of plugins. Maybe harvesting help/instructions/notes/manuals as well, that you would have an applescript that was called "download as plugin" that would download the archive to the plugin folder, expand to a new folder, and then harvest the current page and downward links to either that folder or a central location with proper naming etc.
    Maybe also as an append to a giant .txt or .pdf for fast search.

Other obvious uses could be to email or backup/sync to web the current open object or scene. Or to render to previews or icons, or quicktime 3d all the objects in a folder say.

Interesting thread!

And don't forget automator!

Quote Originally Posted by habaņero
    What I would put at a higher priority than Applescript support is better mac support in Lscript. Like file system code that would "just work" on both platform, something that should be about as complicated as implementing code that has been posted on the Lscript list ...
    Noted!

Quote Originally Posted by habaņero
    And don't forget automator!
    Automator rocks. I have not forgotten Automator.

-Chilton

As for a record button in lscript, try this: ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/eyeo..._Commander.mov
    I think I saw that...it's within Layout right?

I was talking about Modeler, imagine you click a record button and then after hours of modelling you save the Lscript as it's own file, send it to whoever and have them load it an press play

It would be great for live tutorials and not to mention you'll have a complete history of the model...if you needed to go back to any stage.

As for Applescript, it would be great to control batch rendering, setting the output files, "save as" to a new file, take this object layer from this file and that layer from that other file and add them to a new blank project...in their own layers or combined into one layer etc. etc.

My mind is racing again

Kuzey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast