Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Siggraph is now over, what are your impressions?

Freelance 3D Artist

Siggraph is now over, what are your impressions?

I only spent 2 days there with the exhibition only pass, but I definitely learned a great deal from talking to people and checking out the latest technology. Here are my brief impression on some of the booths:

1) Lucasarts/ILM - My favorite booths, they had a bunch of presentation on how they solve FX challenges in movies. I gained alot of insight about 3D and compositing.

2) Autodesk - It wasn't Maya 8 or 3DS Max 9 that impressed me, but the large number of different presentors on how they used the software packages to produce FX shots. Similar to Lucasarts/ILM booth in terms gaining insight on producing FX shots.

3) Avid - It was mainly used to cover Softimage XSI various features, but they covered a big range throughout the day. What I liked about the booth was the training session behind the booth. I never use XSI before, so I attended the basic session. They also offered short advanced session too.

4) Newtek - This was obviously the first booth I attended. Sadly, I was somewhat disappointed in the presentations. It didn't offer the variety that Autodesk or even XSI offered. They had a smaller projection screen. It seems superficial, but a big screen does have an impact on first impression, especially to all the visually oriented people at the show. The Q&A/demo panel at the back was ok, but it didn't seem inviting. Overall, I didn't gain much knowledge from that booth. Also, where is LW9 Demo Disc Sorry guy, I love you, but I'm only saying this in hopes you will beat out the other guys next year.

5) E-on - The most important feature is the true use of volumetric clouds. It is really nice, but the presentation was only ok.

6) Pixologic - I really like Zbrush. The presentation was nice since it covered a lot of grounds with clear and simple explanations. There was never a dull moment.

There are others, but I will stop here. This is my first Siggraph, so I don't really know what Newtek did in the past, but I would really like to have seen more companies such as Zoic, EdenFX, Rainmaker, etc. present at Newtek's booth. If they get more Lightwave centric companies to present, I would really like them to follow Autodesk lead by giving us ideas of how they accomplished shots using Lightwave. To me, this is the best why of swaying people to try Lightwave out, by showing them how these studios love LW and how they used it in various movies.

Instead of having demo stations in the back, I would have liked a more hands on experience by having basic training sessions. Get Dell or HP to provide the PCs. Thoughout the day, they can have 45 minute sessions covering different topics such as, getting started with LW9, Texture Node Editor, Speed Edit, VT, and 3D Arsenal. Similar to what Adobe did at their booth. It would have been a great oppurtunity in getting people to try the software. Especially with all the students at the show. Also, it would have been really, really, really, nice if Newtek could have given out the LW9 DEMO Disc.
    Last edited by SP00; 08-03-2006 at 10:12 PM.

My brief impression

I went over the exhibit for 3 days and here is my brief impression
    and I pretty much :agree:

Pixologic-
    Was well done, but to loud. Speakers must have been on full blast. The new improvements in Zbrush are very nice, I have to spend money to upgrade since I know my work will not.

Massive-
    had a nice demo, but hard to hear because of Zbrush demos going on. I would love to learn the product fully but it is way too costly for me.

Autodesk-
    Very nice presentations, it was much better then last years. I loved how Maya was presented this year by nearly all the companies that were out there.

Newtek-
    I totally agree with your impression on Newtek. I guess that is why no one was around.

Dave School-
    Felt sorry for them, no one was around them either.

Adobe-
    After Effects demo was so boring and ultra slow. I use After Effects but After Effects 7.0 did not impressed me and really had nothing much to offer.

Eyeon-
    Fusion blew away After Effects demo. Loved the Gatorade commercial demo, but I still wonder why people were still sitting at the After Effects demos that was next to it. The Fusion guy must have been working in Fusion 10 times faster then any of the other products. This 5k program is comparable to some of the Flame demos I had and Flame is around 600k or more.

Digital Domain-
    Fun to talk to, both at the booth and the party. They talked about Nuke a little and had some interesting points on the Nuke application. Nuke product was very nice, but wish the demo was as nice as Fusion. Hard to compare products, the presenter flub up on the product during its presentation. If the presenter flubs up, how will a novice handle it?

Polygon Pictures-
    Fun and very interesting to talk to, Ataka-san knows the international 3D business inside and out. I think that company will go far with people like him. I’m not to sure about their pipeline, it could be improved.

Daz-
    Another fun company to talk to, they took my suggestion and went running with it, smart company.

E-on and E-frontiers-
    No improvement to speak of yet.

As far as Zoic, EdenFX, Rainmaker, I.G. Production, etc.-
    I agree with you on Lightwave companies, I have not seen anyone other than DD. I feel much safer using multiple tools, but I wonder what impression that gives to new Lightwave animators.
    Last edited by klanderud; 08-04-2006 at 06:21 PM.

The Arts are alive in me tonybliss's Avatar
    wonderful synopsis :O

So do you missed the courses, papers & sketches, special sessions, computer animation festival and the rest of SIGGRAPH?

I only went to the exhibit.

Sorry, I only went for 3 days for the exhibit and the parties.
    so I didn't have much time.
    Last edited by klanderud; 08-04-2006 at 06:42 PM.

Newtek Party

Newtek party this time around was fantastic. It was fun to attend, had a great Imax demo and the Aquarium was very nice to attend during the hot weather. It was one of the best parties around and the best Newtek party I been to.

Freelance 3D Artist
    I really wish I could have attended the party, but I got back from a vacation from the other side of the world and drove straight to Boston. There was no way I would have been able to stay awake for the party due to jet lag

Quote Originally Posted by SP00

4) Newtek - This was obviously the first booth I attended. Sadly, I was somewhat disappointed in the presentations. It didn't offer the variety that Autodesk or even XSI offered. They had a smaller projection screen. It seems superficial, but a big screen does have an impact on first impression, especially to all the visually oriented people at the show. The Q&A/demo panel at the back was ok, but it didn't seem inviting. Overall, I didn't gain much knowledge from that booth. Also, where is LW9 Demo Disc Sorry guy, I love you, but I'm only saying this in hopes you will beat out the other guys next year.

There are others, but I will stop here. This is my first Siggraph, so I don't really know what Newtek did in the past....
    This is what NT has been doing for years... Its like Lw presentation for LW users.. like a user group meetting, not a Siggraph caliber presentation. 3 or 4 years ago you had folks slamming the inferno regarding what was doable in Aura at the time. All it Showed was their ignorance in Inferno. Not to mention the demo artist was just unprofessional.

A coupe of years ago they had essentailly a reinuion of Kiki and some other folks... while that was fun for the "fans", it just felt "old".. like an old high Shool reunion, because its complete irrelevant to new users.

.....but I would really like to have seen more companies such as Zoic, EdenFX, Rainmaker, etc. present at Newtek's booth. If they get more Lightwave centric companies to present, I would really like them to follow Autodesk lead by giving us ideas of how they accomplished shots using Lightwave. To me, this is the best why of swaying people to try Lightwave out, by showing them how these studios love LW and how they used it in various movies.
    I have asked NT for this for years.. YEARS... It seems to just rub them the wrong way..its like they want to be presented as hobbyist.... more and more it was growing closer to Hash rather than the presentation from companies like dicreet.

It just seems so inbred.. there is nothing fresh.. its even lacking professionally.

Instead of having demo stations in the back, I would have liked a more hands on experience by having basic training sessions. Get Dell or HP to provide the PCs. Thoughout the day, they can have 45 minute sessions covering different topics such as, getting started with LW9, Texture Node Editor, Speed Edit, VT, and 3D Arsenal. Similar to what Adobe did at their booth. It would have been a great oppurtunity in getting people to try the software. Especially with all the students at the show. Also, it would have been really, really, really, nice if Newtek could have given out the LW9 DEMO Disc.
    Again, we have been asking for LW demo disk since time immemorial. nothing.. What makes LW so special that it doesn;t need to have a demo disk?

NT, this the impression from a first time attendee...or.. a "first impression".... take it to heart.. less evangelizing, (I swear,is that a texas thing?),less catering to the LW fanbase, more demonstrations, More marketing to new users. Slick it up a bit.

Lightbulb Google Earth – Explore, Search and Discover

This was fun at Siggraph check it out.

Google Earth is a free one (Plus and above you have to pay a little)

http://earth.google.com/

I found nearly everyplace I worked and lived and this brought up a lot of old memories.
    Last edited by klanderud; 08-05-2006 at 07:12 AM.

Blender

Almost forgot about Blender.
    I had someone gave me a personnel tour of the product.
    Great animation tool, great UV tool set,
    I still can not believe it is free.

Blender website
    http://www.blender.org/cms/Home.2.0.html

Check out the Blender posting.
    http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54170

Also check out
    JahShaka
    OpenSource Realtime Editing and Effects System
    http://www.jahshaka.org/
    Last edited by klanderud; 08-05-2006 at 08:09 AM.

Hum. I thought NewTek's booth was more appropriate to SIGGRAPH than the Softimage and Autocrat booths. Rather than just showing a demo-reel of top-end stuff (a lot of which had blatantly been subsidised by the respective companies themselves), NewTek popped off a short but very sweet demo reel, then spent a far longer time demoing just why it's so fast and easy to produce stuff in LightWave.

Demoing rather than wanking, frankly.

But then, I'm of the opinion that the expo side should carry some of the flavour of SIGGRAPH as a whole, which is more about learning than selling. The NT guys were actually showing off features of the toolset and saying "This is good because you can do that really quickly", rather than "Look! Shiny! Behold the shiny! Scan your card?"

The SpeedEdit demo had me standing in a pool of my own drool, just because it shows all the standard edit tasks that I do weekly in minutes rather than hours.

The expo itself was pretty cool - it's definately shrunk over the last 9 years, but it's still impressive. Coupled with the sketches, art gallery and Guerilla Studio, it's a fantastic learning and exploring experience.

Bung in the parties for their networking and, er, partying opportunities, and you've got something really spesh. Walking into the IMAX and seeing the theatre full to bursting of fellow LightWavers, with people stood and sat on the stairways in standing-room-only conditions was brilliant, especially for someone who's spent a long time freelancing on his tod.

An entirely worthwhile experience, and again Big Thanks to the NewTek team for putting such a blinder together.
    Mark Hennessy-Barrett
    www.imaginetix.co.uk
    www.shaxam.com
    ...and then I was on fire.

Freelance 3D Artist
    I guess I'm a little bias since I already own LW9 and know what kinda of feature it has. So the demo didn't do that much for me except for the info on the 9.1 update. However, I would jump at any oppurtunity for newtek to train us on LW9 rather than demo it, especially in the exhibit area. The speededit demo was definitely exciting. In fact, I'm sure that after people get use to Speededit, VT sales should start jumping.

The thing in SpeedEdit where you just play your audio and drum along to it, then hit a single macro and it automatically assembles all your clips to your drumbeats was really cool. Being then able to add and tweak transitions in about four button-presses was just lovely.
    Mark Hennessy-Barrett
    www.imaginetix.co.uk
    www.shaxam.com
    ...and then I was on fire.

Freelance 3D Artist
    I was just thinking that will save me a lot of time, definitely deserves the name.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast